How long do you co-sleep?

yellowglow

Reaction score
My husband and I disagree on this I wonder what some other moms think. I like to co-sleep until my babies stop nursing, which apparently for them is around 10 mos. My husband thinks they should co-sleep until 3 years old. For me, co-sleeping is as much about convenience for me, as it was comfort to my baby. For him, he was concerned about the toddler not waking up in the middle of the night and being scared.

Even though he likes to do it until 3, we moved our second son out at 2, because his sister was born and I insisted that he would squish her. He now sleeps with his 9 year old brother!

Has anyone else co-slept until 2 or 3? Do any of you let your children co-sleep as an alternative?

We are only at 14 months, but I don't see that changing any time soon. I think we'll wait until she feels ready before moving her to her own bed.

I spent far too many nights trying to get DS1 to sleep alone because I felt he 'should'... but he's just not ready. He's 3.5 now and room shares with us, often waking to bed share too. Apart from that he sleeps through, so life is much less stressful.

I'm not going to fight with new baby, will just see how it goes.

I'm very new to everything but we think we want to wait till she can go from our bed straight into a toddler bed rather than a cot, so around 2-3 years. We know we have to have an almost four year gap between her and next babe due to finishing studies though, so it should work out fine with her but we'll see about the next two who will hopefully be close together!

We're still co-sleeping at just over 4 years. My aunt co-slept with her son until he was about 7. I'm okay with it while we're both happy, no plans to move him out yet.

Mine won't be ready to stop bedsharing for a long time yet, the way things are going.

I plan to let Violet move out of the family bed when she feels she is ready.

we are still co-sleeping at 2 1/2 but that might be changing soon as he now seems interested in sleeping in the spare room :shrug:

cosleeping has been a blessing for my sanity haha.
She slept with us most of the time untill she was 2 and then some.
She started sleeping through at 2, well, some nights. We put her to bed in her own room in her cot and when she woke up at too-early-o-clock she'd nurse and then sleep some more in our bed.

We recently bought her a big girl bed (shortly after she turned 3) and she loves it, I didn't think she'd go for it, but she got to pick it out in the store, she put it together with me...
Now she doesn't want to sleep in our bed anymore but she does love it when I sleep next to her every now and again.

Sophie is still in my bed at 20 months and is needier at night than ever.

Minties, this is us, too. Cuddling up tight even in this heat, arms around my neck, holding hands, and recently, sleeping on top of me. I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy most of it.

Aww same here. I often find her sleeping with her feet in my back or ribs, but I love the cuddles and they're only little once :cloud9:

It's winter here, so I can certainly appreciate the cuddles right now!

We are still cosleeping at 16 months and plan to carry on until he wants to move into his own room, if necessary we will co sleep with him and the next baby.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I am feeling better about our decision.. even when we end up letting the 14 month and the 33 month old sleep in the bed with us. They end up snuggling with each other though:winkwink: So hubby and I move them to the side of the bed. Before they fall asleep though they fight over who can snuggle close to us. Many times we end up putting one on each side of us just so they won't argue.

Our little guy is getting close to 17 months old and still sleeps in the family bed. We plan to let him sleep there as long as he wants to. Hopefully we'll be lucky enough to give him a sibling and then I'm hoping they'll share a bed (when they're both ready) until they want their own space. We will definitely share the bed with both kiddos if we're lucky enough to get another one. <3

I like to sleep in bed with my husband. Humans like to be close to each other. I don't want to force my little guy to do anything before he's ready. Originally my husband wanted the kiddo to bed share only until 6 months and then move him to his crib we had side carred. I couldn't do it. Now my husband is on the same page with me and it's wonderful. (He's been on the same page with me for months, before the 6 month time limit, actually :))

DD moved out of our room completely of her own volition 3 weeks ago. When we moved house earlier this year, we made her a beautiful "princess palace" bedroom. She loved it, but showed no signs of wanting to sleep there. I suggested it occasionally: "Do you want to sleep in your princess palace bed or mummy and daddy's bed tonight?" She always chose our bed, which was fine. I usually moved her to her mattress on the floor when she was asleep, but she'd always climb back in at around 5am. Then, out of the blue, she asked to sleep in her bed. She's been there ever since, and sleeps through most nights. She comes to us for cuddles in the morning, which is so lovely.

We're so pleased she was able to make thus choice when she was ready, which turned out to be considerably sooner than I expected! Perfect timing for her to be used to sleeping alone before we start a new co-sleeping journey with DD2. :happydance: I was worried about co-sleeping with them both.

We did an in between and put a pull out sofa bed in our room. My boys started out rotating, but eventually sort of chose their own spot...oddly enough my oldest stayed in our bed the longest, until about 5 but the other 2 boys gravitated to the pull out bed by about 3 y/o. That arrangement worked for 2 years, I'd say. Then they decided sleeping away from us adults could be a lot more fun :)

They all had their own rooms, but by about 6 or 7, would beg to "sleepover" with eachother and all crowd into one room - they still do... It's so sweet.
2 have decided to share a room & my oldest (has his own room) sleeps in with his brothers about 50% of the time.
My little girl, now 7, moved into her own room by choice, at about 5/6. She will still come in here if she's sick or has a bad dream, but likes sleeping in her room.

Once our kids are toilet trained we find they want their own bed. Two have been in their own bed by age 2 and miss 1 is starting to show signs of wanting her space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->