How long do you keep paperwork/ bills etc for?

missVN

Reaction score
So I have a box full of household paperwork- bills, letters, bank statements etc. They are all stuffed in together and overflowing. I want to sort it all out into a 'system' but wasn't sure if its advised to keep any of it for a certain length of time? At work we have to keep all papers for 7 years!

Im not too sure but would like to know to. I have the same upstairs, a whole box full of papers, some that have been there for years. :)

I always keep the first sheet for a few months then once its been paid and a month or so has passed I shred it... Most of my bills are all e statements anyway so I dont get many.

i have kept all my bank statements and payslips since i moved to the uk in 2007 but that is purely because I will go through my immigration soon and I want to be able to show I have been working and paying all my bills on time etc if they ask. After this is done I might keep things for 12 months

Isn't the norm something like 3yrs? I dunno, I've got mine for about 6-7yrs so I think it's about time to shred it :lol:

I shred my bills every couple of months, and make statements pretty much right away.

I keep everything for about 3 years but most my bills are paperless now so I don't accumulate too many :thumbup:

My husband had bills/statements and letters from like 10 years :dohh: I keep them 6months to a year then they are shredded.
x

Monthly bills I shred after they are paid and I have switched all statements to online, along with a lot of bills. I always shred credit card checks immediately. The only papers I keep are my closing house papers, home insurance papers, and health insurance papers. Other than that I have moved everything to online statements.

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup:

Going to tackle the paper mountain tomorrow, think I'm going to go for 6mths as we don't really have a huge amount of storage space. Will definatly look into online statements too.

I keep mine for a year. Bank statements longer (as i usually pay on the card and proof of payment wold therefore be on there).

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup:

Going to tackle the paper mountain tomorrow, think I'm going to go for 6mths as we don't really have a huge amount of storage space. Will definatly look into online statements too.

sounds like a good idea! :thumbup:

I keep mine for 6 years, as I would need them in case of a tax audit and that's as far back they go.

We have to keep bills, tax returns, etc., for 7 years.

I forgot about those! I do keep those, also. Some of them are online with TurboTax, though... so I dont have a couple. But good thinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->