• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long is hospital stay if you have group b strep?

immie

Reaction score
I was just wondering as I just read another post about group b strep and I never actually realised you had to stay in hospital any longer if you have it! With my son I either never had it or it was just never detected but this time it has been detected and I have no idea about it really. Was hoping to be out of hospital asap but that doesn't look likely now!:growlmad:

I was told by MW at hosp 12-24hr ti montior.
However im asking for a retest or ill pay for my own 37w. Im after home water birth want to avoid hosp at all costs.

However im asking for a retest or ill pay for my own 37w. Im after home water birth want to avoid hosp at all costs.

I've been reading up online and I've hearf up to 48 hours which is my idea of hell! So anyway, can it just go then? As you're asking for a retest? Because if so I will also ask for a retest

I had it last pregnancy and they never told me I had to stay longer... But for both pregnancies that were not high risk... I managed to stay for 48 hours+ thanks to giving birth on / near the weekend... So doctors didn't like to come in to discharge me. Lol

Oh and maybe I'm crazy but I actually like staying in the hospital those first few days.

I feel safe, I have 100% just mommy and baby time. No distractions. Baby has all of my attention without my other little ones running around, and the nurses are sooooooo helpful for when I need a little shut eye. I have good memories in the hospital with my little ones. *tear* :)

I was GBS+ last time too and no one mentioned about staying longer for it either.

I ended up staying for 2 days because my son refused to wake up to feed though.

I've been reading up online and I've hearf up to 48 hours which is my idea of hell! So anyway, can it just go then? As you're asking for a retest? Because if so I will also ask for a retest

Couldnt agree more. I hate hospitals .
With my previous girls i was in and out same day, just how id like it.
I spent my first ever night in hosp in week 8, the care was shocking (minus 2 nice nurses)

Im still busy research about it, i only got told i had positivr test on monday dated back to 6th may.

I know it can come and go through pregnancy, normally they dont do any tests before 20w as could have no effect later on. Im not happy i was tested without my agreement if i had been asked i would have declined it. Never tested with my girls either. Also ive read nhs tests are good at giving false positives.

I had it with both children and had to stay an extra day longer for both. With my daughter, they were very specific about it. They said since I had her at 4:20 PM, I had to wait until 4:20 PM of the second day, exactly 48 hours after her birth before I could go home. I had my son in the AM, but my doctor wouldn't come discharge so I had to wait until the evening of the second day as well. So yeah, my hospital has made a pretty big deal about it because they want to monitor the baby more carefully for signs of infection, like fever.

So yeah.....they also induced me because of it the second time because they didn't want me to go into natural labor and not have time to get a full dose of antibiotic through IV. Since I had my son fairly quickly and he was my first, they were worried my second would be even faster.

I'm like one of the previous posters-I actually prefer the hospital stay. I enjoy the few days of just me and baby time, no little kids hollering for MOM every five minutes, and being tended to instead of me having to do the tending. I've never tested positive for Group B but my sis has tested positive 2 times and hasn't had to stay any longer. However, she has always stayed the 48 hours after delivery that our hospital recommends. not sure if it would have made a difference if she had wanted to leave earlier.

I love staying in the hospital, minus the nurses coming in every two hours and smushing my poor worn out uterus lol. I feel safe and free food for me! Woo! Just a relaxing time :)
I love our local hospital in North Carolina. To my understanding, hospitals in other countries are much different , with labor wards, etc....
I had B strep and didn't have to stay any longer than I otherwise would. I have birth on a Monday evening, and went home on a Wednesday morning. That's a typical hospital stay for a vag delivery here. C-section typically one more extra day.

I think it varies between hospitals.

I had a home birth with my first, and then ended up in hospital a week later with a womb infection which is when they found I carried GBS. My son was already a week old so past the early onset stage so I was just told to be vigilant for meningitis etc.

With my second, obviously they knew I was a carrier this time and I asked for a home birth again. My midwife was 100% for it and said she could run through basic obs with me and if baby showed any signs in the critical period I would just have to get them straight to hospital. However, you can't control which midwife attends your home birth and none of the ones I encountered were happy to proceed with a GBS+ baby. By chance, I thought my waters had broken at 38+3 so had to go in for a swab to check the next day (they hadn't). The next day I went into labour and the midwife rang the hospital and it turned out they had tested me for GBS (without asking/telling me) when they took the swab and the culture was negative (which I'm not sure about as I think it takes a minimum of 24hrs to cultivate but I wasn't going to argue!) so I got my home birth.

I mentioned it to my midwife this time round and said I wasn't happy with the whole thing as it's transient, so whilst they'll routine test me around 37/38 weeks for it, it could come back positive but I might not go into labour until 40 weeks by which time it could have gone or vice versa so it's the most pointless test in my opinion. Her response was "if you don't look for these things you can't find them :winkwink:" so that gave me reassurance that she isn't going to pressure me to have the swab, and again, as long as I'm aware that my baby is at possible risk and I'm extra vigilant with the warning signs in the first 48hours there's no reason for me to be in hospital. The fact is, they only check baby every 4hrs? I think in hospital, so statistically, if I notice a change in behaviour or fever immediately (as I will breastfeeding and having a newborn!) I can probably get into hospital just as quick as if they found problems after 4hours if you see what I mean?

I'd definitely ask for a re-swab as late as possible and then you've got a chance of it being negative if that's how they want to play it. It's like anything when it comes to babies, it's your decision at the end of the day and you have to weigh up the pros and cons. I would rather have my baby at home and trust myself to notice if something is wrong and get them to hospital if necessary, than give birth in hospital and distress myself and expose my baby to potential infections with everyone else in the ward, and have us both on forced antibiotics for 24hrs "just in case".

My son was infected during the birth, we were in hospital for a while, we we're sent home on day 9. He had to have antibiotics twice a day. He did have a few other little issues too, so guessing the reason we were in so long wasn't purely down to gbs. I will be having antibiotics on drip with this labour as a precaution and was told I may have to stay in a few days, which is fine with me!

48hrs with 2nd baby as was present in urine. 24hrs with 3rd as not present in urine

Its for the safety of the baby. I had it with my son. and he was fine after he was born it was hours later he was took away for an xray as he had a streaky lung. might have been due to the strep b so he had to go to special care for 2 days to be given antibiotics. but he was healthy and fine in the end. :) mabey its best to stay that we while longer than get home and have to come all the way back. I know it sucks hun but just for reassurance. :) xxxx<3

I had it with both my kids.

There was no difference at all in my hospital stay. Normal 2 night stay 3 depending on when you have birth. Monitor of baby for 24 hours after which you are already there anyway. And the antibiotics via IV until birth.
That was the hospital where I had gone. Maybe it's different now but it truly wasn't any different. Only difference was because my son wasn't waiting for antibiotics he was born in his sac. So he bipassed the need for an IV anyway. :)

Don't overly stress about it. As Lon as you get those antibiotics you will be fine. I think this time I'll end up with it in the last weeks since birth was so fast last time. If I test positive. Yes it can be a big deal if undetected but easy to treat.

I didnt have antibiotics. Just think they dont routinely swab anyway so many have it and dont know. Just obs on baby and temp, breathing etx

I didn't have it with my first but had it with my second. The only thing that was done differently with little boy number two was that I had to have antibiotics with my IV drip. Baby and I did have to stay at the hospital longer than with my first, but that was because we developed chorio and he passed a bit of meconium during labor. The antibiotics he received was also for the chorio and not at all for the GBS.

I had to stay 48 hours after birth. I had no idea either. I had my stuff all packed ready to go the morning after (DS was born at 11 pm the night before) and the nurse kind of laughed when she saw me packing and said sorry honey you have to stay another night! They wanted to keep me until 11 pm the next night but I convinced them to let me out around 3 pm as we were both doing really well :) I think it's just a precautionary thing. But I agree, I wanted to get out ASAP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->