how long is your booking appointment?

hanni

Reaction score
According to my friend its about 20 minute's, you get to hear the heart beat and then she comes out to your house a few days after and spends ages asking you questions.

Is this right? I've heard different things from other people.

You're in the UK I see? Does your friend have a private midwife? I haven't heard of it done like that before.. but maybe that is in your area.
I am a student midwife in an area just above London and I have done lots of booking appointments under a mentor and also had one myself. In all my experience in my area in the UK the booking appointments on the NHS are usually between 40 minutes and 1 hour and they include taking you and your partners medical history, giving lots of information and advice and testing urine, taking bloods and doing your blood pressure and also weight + height to calculate BMI.

Booking appointments are usually the longest appointment you have in pregnancy because of all the history they have to take and advice they have to give. Also they will put in a plan for how your care during pregnancy might go, for example who you will see and where follow up appointments will be, your scans, etc.

Hope this helps :)

I was going to say mine was an hour long :) they didnt try and listen to the heartbeat xx

Thank you for your replies and your help!
It did sound a bit odd to me. I'd heard it was the longest one.
No private midwife, just her NHS GP midwife. No idea why hers was like that. Prehaps she was further along?
My appointments booked for the 22nd so I guess I'll soon see! Xx

The booking in appointment usually takes an hour because the midwife has to jot every single detail into your diary book as i call it. She measures your height and takes your weight, i cant remember if she takes bloods or not but i think she does! Makes you pee in a bottle or two but you dont see the midwife again until about 15 weeks i think it is, and then again a week or two after your 20 week scan xx

Mine is tomorrow... I will happily pop on and update you... But from what Mummafrog said thats pretty spot on... Although i didnt have height and weight done or wee sample... But this was 2008 when i had my last booking appointment x

It's typical to take bloods at the 8 week appointment, I have gotten used to calling them 'booking bloods' while working :haha:
I wonder why your friend's was like that, how strange :)

I had mine yesterday and it was about an hour I had to wee in a bottle, she took mine and dh medical history which she had to write on the computer and then into my medical notes which I brought home she checked my weight and height and blood pressure and I had blood taken. lots of advice given generaly a nice apt x

Mine is tomorrow... I will happily pop on and update you... But from what Mummafrog said thats pretty spot on... Although i didnt have height and weight done or wee sample... But this was 2008 when i had my last booking appointment x

That would be great thanks! Hope everything goes great for you :) x

My midwife said it would take an hour to go through everything! Got mine on the 22nd Jan!! Good luck
Xx

Hi,
I phoned the midwife then went to see her and just had a quick chat then she booked me in for the booking appointment at 9 weeks took 45 mins asked lots of questions (medical history ect) and took my blood.
Next appointment is 16 weeks and they will listen to the baby then I think

Mine in my last pregnancy was about an hour .....form filling, height, eeight, blood pressure and p test! No bloods taken but my pregnancy was icsi twins so lots of blood taken prior to bfp, and consultant and midwife care was planned so lots of opportunity after

I had my appointment... Basically the same as others have said... Family history.. Pervious pregnancies/labour... Pee in bottle, blood pressure, weight and height, bloods taken... All info on your scans what they are for... Information on jabs open to you while pregnant e.g flu jab... X

My appt isn't til 16th Jan when I'll be 8 weeks but I picked up a pregnancy pack from the docs yesterday & it contained a pot to pee in & take with me for the appointment & a sheet telling me what to expect for the appointment - blood tests, family medical history, discussion about plans for pregnancy... basically same as the others have said! It says expect it to last an hour.
xo.

Thanks for all your replies! no idea where my friends bringing up stories of her appointment from. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->