How long should we wait before IVF?

pinklemon

Reaction score
Good morning!!

Here is my story so far: TTC for 1 year, laparoscopy on Dec 1st- one tube is blocked/kinked and adhered to the wall, unable to fix. Stage 2 endo. Dr. was able to clear the endo.

We are meeting next week with two dr's to hear their advice and plan of action. So far it sounds like they feel IVF is the direction that we are heading. I am fine with that, but DH wants to try a few times before we start down that path. I don't want to waste a ton of time especially if we are only able to conceive every other month ( due to the blocked tube)??

I know everyones story is different, but just would like some other opinions from those who have been through this or are going through this currently.

Thank you ladies and Happy New Year!!

I've been through 6 failed medicated IUIs and 2 IVFs, the 1st a CP and the 2nd resulting in my almost 15 month old son. We had unexplained infertility and had tried naturally for 1 year, I was 34½ years old when we started.

I would say it also depends on you and how long you want to try naturally. If your DH wants to keep trying but you're not much for it, maybe you 2 could sit down and find a compromise and agree to x months of trying before pursuing IVF. I truely do understand wanting to conceive naturally but sometimes the chances of that happening aren't very good and once you're approaching mid-30s, time starts to work against you. I don't know much about endo though so you may have to talk to the doctors if it's something that can come back or if you're cleared for good:shrug:

I'd maybe try discussing it with your DH until after that meeting and you can ask the doctors what they think your chances are of conceiving naturally. That way you and your DH can make an informed decision on how long you want to try naturally before going for IVF.

Hi Pink, I agree with Kat - I think you should obviously wait and see what the doctors say at your meeting before deciding on a plan of action, but you could maybe sit down with your husband before the meeting and talk about timelines that you would both be comfortable with in terms of trying naturally before IVF.

I'm in the UK so no idea on how long it would be before you could actually begin IVF, but chances are it's not going to be immediate anyway which would still give you a couple of months or so of trying naturally?

My husband and I have been trying since August 2016, and found out July 2017 (after seven months of fertility appointments and ovulation induction tablets) that IVF would more than likely be our only option, and we had our first IVF cycle in November. I know that we all get pretty impatient and if we hear a doctor suggest that we might need a fertility treatment, we want to just begin it right away. But just make sure you take in everything the doctors say and make a decision that is right for the both of you. IVF was so much more difficult than we ever thought it would be (I became seriously ill in December), so I think it's important that you are both definitely on the same page before beginning it.

Best of luck :hugs:

Thanks ladies. I know these are the logical things to do, but I just feel impatient. I just have to remind myself that things will happen how and when they are supposed to. Don't get me wrong- it would absolutely amazing if we conceived naturally. I am trying to be realistic here so that I don't continue to get my hopes up only to be let down again and again. Thank you again for the encouragement

Hi there,
DH and I tried about 2 yrs before going into fertility treatments: 4 unsuccessful IUIs, and a FET (which resulted in BFP). Our FET was at the 2.5 yrs mark of TTC.
I was ready to jump into IVF much earlier, but DH was not on board. So we tried naturally for couple months after the failed IUIs, and obviously nothing happened. Then DH said that he was ready for IVF. Having him fully on board was actually really important as I found out that IVF can be quite stressful (financially and emotionally).
So my advice would be, as long as your DH fully supports it and the financial aspects are covered, then go for it. Its just our experience, but going for IVF was one of the best decisions ever
Best of luck xxx

Hi pink, weighing in with my experience, I think some other things could matter. We did 4 IUIs after trying naturally for 18 minths and a laparoscopy removing endo. No blood work was done by that doc other than progesterone levels. When I saw a new doc we discovered my AMH and FSH were not good at all. I felt like we had wasted time and money on the IUI (we were seeing a doc not covered by my insurance because he was "the best").

Have you done monitored cycles to see what side you're ovulating from? If the only problem is the one blocked tube, I think you could have success with other methods of treatment without IVF. But, one thing I learned from my RE was endo can cause poor egg quality and a hard outer shell. I don't think I would have had success without ICSI.

Good luck, it's a big decision, but in the end I'm happy we did it and wish we had sooner!

This is a very personal question and my only advice is go with your gut.
I know Drs will always have their opinions and thats fine - but you also have your own and don't let your voices be silenced.
It will depend on your age too - if you're still young enough trying naturally for a few more cycles won't hurt anything....

Best of luck xoxox

How do you do monitored cycles? I always feel like I know which side it is on based on the feeling, but would love it if there was a more scientific way to know.

I don't think you can know which side for certain unless you go in for an ultrasound or something.

I think most people use OPKs, Clearblue Fertility Monitor or similiar (e.g. OvaCue) since those are things you can do yourself.

I would think you'd just need to try each month in the hope you're O'ing from the open tube:shrug:

My monitored cycles I went in for a series of ultrasounds which checked the size of developing follicles and my lining. They could see which side your dominant follicle is on.

Ah I see- I have had an ultrasound and seen the dominant follicle before.

Good news- we had a BFP this weekend. We are completely in shock. Fingers crossed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->