How long to get to full bottle feedings with no NG tube?

BSelck24

Pregnant with Baby #4!!!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My little trooper is now 36 weeks gestation (born at 23 weeks) and has just started nippling (or taking bottles) a few days ago. Last night he just took his full feed via bottle! This isn't consistent yet, but I was wondering how long it took your preemie to start taking full feeds either from the breast or the bottle full time. I know this is essential for him being discharged, and obviously I am not trying to rush him, but just wanted to see what everyone else's experience was :)

So ready for my little man to come home! :baby:

I started rooming in with him and he was discharged after 6 days, he had been taking two feeds a day at the breast. He was only without the NG tube for about 23 hours before they discharged him.

Oh wow that is quicker than I thought!! My son needs to still get down to low flow oxygen so I know we have a bit longer in the NICU anyways, but I am interested in how the feedings will go! Thank you!

My son was born at 31+5 we have been exclusively breast feeding for about a week now (he's 2 weeks old now) after the first full feed he got he wanted more and more from the breast it was a quick transition after that xx

We were so so so close to going home with the NG tube. She took the bottle properly literally a handful of days before she got to go home - so very last minute! She did take bottles before but it was a real struggle, she didnt properly get the hang until later.

mine were born at 34 weeks. girl opened mouth at 2 days, made attempt to suck at 3 days, was starting to wake up and cry for most feeds and taking half of each feed herself at 7 days, fully demand feeding at 9 days. they took her tube out after 48 hours of taking all feeds herself.

boy was a bit different, he made no attempt to feed at all, wouldnt open his mouth, never woke at feed times, never cried out no matter how much coaxing he just wasnt interested. they ad been transfered from the hospital of birth to another hospital as scbu was full. at 10 days old they were transferred back as when they were able to go into normal cots, not incubaitors or heated cots it meant they could go into a room tat they actually had space in and would be closer to home. i sat with them at the hospital all morning until they were ready for transfer then met them back at the other hospital, i got there just as the ambulance crew were leaving after making the second trip with my boy. went up and he had no NGT! i asked why and they said he pulled it out en rout so they had decided to just see how he went before putting another in. i explained that he had never even had a teat in his mouth at all but they were adamant. feed time came and he just opened his mouth and drank the lot no problem! then that was it he suddenly started waking up and crying at feed time and took every bottle! was express bottle feeding because both of them would take 2 sucks and fall asleep at the breast no matter what anyone did.

Wow it is crazy how quick they pick it up!! Zackary is almost to the point of taking full feeds from bottles every time so it is good to know that after 48 hours of consistency, they make take the NG tube out!

He is still on vapotherm with a flow of 1.5 so he still needs to get to low flow but hopefully soon!

Thanks for all of your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->