How Long to wait before IVF?

Watson101

Reaction score
Hi All,

So we've been trying for 2 years with a MC a year ago. We have had lots of tests now, SA, progesterone, ultrasound etc and all have come back normal. I was put on clomid for 2 cycles but they think I don't need that either now so nothing medically wrong with either of us apart from me now being 38.

I've just had an AMH test to find out about my ovarian reserve - TBC.

The F Nurse explained that the older I get the less chances there are of me conceiving naturally or through IVF... so my question is - how long do we keep trying before deciding to go for IVF? Apparently Surrey pay for 2 cycles of IVF for those under 40 who have been TTC for over 2 years.... how long do we keep trying before going back and being asked to be put on the IVF list? and do we ask to be put on the list or do we have to wait for the Dr to tell us she suggests we do this?

I guess if my AMH comes back low that will force the issue but what do others think and what have others done in the same situation?

Thanks so much for your thoughts girls

My opinion would be if IVF is something you are okay with, and its going to be paid for, try now. I would bring it up with your doctor.

:dust: :dust:

So, I am 38. We had two months of fertility treatments:
Month 1: IUI- BFN
Month 2: Clomid 100md day 5-9 with BFP and miscarriage at 7 weeks.
Month 3: we have decided to jump right into IVF! My insurance pays 100 percent! I just have to pay for 20.00 co-pays! And I am all for twins!

Sorry about your MC but lucky you with the insurance! We have private medical through my work but it does not fund IVF. I am really hoping this clomid cycle works and then we don't have to make the tough decisions. AMH test back this week.

Am CD 19 and still no peak on my clearblue monitor - apparently clomid messes this up - have had 10 days of high readings and still no peak.

How frequently do you test your opks?
My doc recommended once day at 10am. Well, if I listened to her I would of missed my peak! I now test at 10am and 2pm from cd10.

I am in a similar situation, 35+ have been TTCing for over 2 years, have done the tests, so far nothing has been revealed so the doctor at my fertility clinic suggested IVF (but said I should first do hysteroscopy before they can refer me for IVF). I asked about IUI, but she said with 10% success rate she does not recommend it. I will have one IVF treatment for free with NHS, that's all I get. my insurance does not cover it unfortunately.

I asked her if I can do anything to maximise my chances and she said no! I am amazed actually because since then I discovered this forum and found out that there is so much one can do to increase the chances: got my CBFM, vitamins and supplements, legs up the wall plan, changed position (me on top was our favourite - how stupid was that!)

IVF is a hard decision to make but after 2 years of nothing we should probably consider it. we are still trying to do it naturally but if nothing happens by April (my hysteroscopy appointment is due in April) we will seek assistance. I understand it may take a year or two on the waiting list before we get to IVF so there will still be opportunity to try it naturally (if I survive hysteroscopy that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->