How long will mixed formula last in the refrigerator?

CountryMama14

Reaction score
I've heard mixed answers from people on this. I mostly breastfeed, but I supplement with formula in the evenings to help my little boy sleep better. On the can it says that once mixed, use within an hour or discard. Well my son often falls asleep during a bottle feeding and then stays asleep for a while and by the time he wakes back up again the hour is up and the formula needs to be thrown out. A lot of formula is getting wasted like that. I've heard some people say to throw it out, but I've heard others say that it's fine for 24 hours in the refrigerator, and others say that it's fine for 48 hours. What is the correct answer here??? :wacko:

Formula lasts for 2 hours at room temp. Not sure about putting in the fridge, I never have. If you are just using it for night, you could use cartons. They last for 24 hours in a fridge once opened.

The difference is if he has started drinking from it.

If you make a bottle and immediately cool it and put it in the fridge then most formula's say they should be ok for 24 hours.

if you make it and LO starts drinking from it then it really should be used within an hour. Personally I will still give mine it after 90 mins or so.

I was told by my pediatrician that it's good for 1 hour at room temp and 24 hours in the fridge. But another poster made the point that if LO has been drinking from it, it's probably not good to use after that hour time frame.
To get around that -[this is an example, make whatever would make sense for your LO!] make up, say 6oz in a starilized container. Then give LO 2-3oz [transfered into a bottle of course] at a time until he's full. That way any that he doesn't drink out of the bottle is only a small waste, and the rest is still good to go in the fridge. If he has 3oz, then you'll have the other 3oz ready for the next feed [within 24 hours of course :thumbup:]

I know someone whose baby was premature and was in hospital for a few weeks. Apparently the nurses said formula is fine for 4 hours after mixing, as long as you don't reheat it. Personally I never let it go for 4 hours but stopped me worrying about him not eating it within an hour x

The formula I used when DS was on it said if prepared it could stay in the fridge 24 hours(i'd prepare a batch in a pitcher and pour into bottles as needed). Once LO has drank from it, it has been out at room temp/been heated, you have to discard in 2 hours.

I only know what our midwife told us. Four hours if mixed and left at room temperature, 24 hours if mixed and refrigerated, but use within the hour if she already has started drinking from it. Honestly, I've gone a bit over that hour when I've had the same problem as you, so what I do instead is make two bottles: one with a little bit in it and see if she'll drink it, if so I'll add more. If not, I have another (mostly full) bottle ready to go in the next 2-3 hours. Seems kind of a pain but it saves screaming/crying when hungry...

FWIW I do the same thing with breast milk I've pumped. My midwife said breast milk left at (a relatively normal or cool) room temperature is good for 4-6 hours, although of course you should smell it first. I tend to chuck after 4 hours though, or sooner if the day is hot. I don't refrigerate or freeze much anymore because, unfortunately, my breast milk tends to go bad within a half to a full day. So I'm only pumping enough for that. At night what I've been doing lately is pump immediately before I crawl into bed (although we have done this with formula as well) and leave a bottle somewhere nearby and cool, such as on my nightstand or near the crib. Since I go to bed relatively late (11PM-midnight) it's likely the baby will want to eat within the 4 hours that I've prepared that bottle... if not, no big deal, I also prepare and have another bottle in the fridge ready to be warmed up.

I heard 2 hours from making it fresh, 1 hour if reheating and 24 hours in the fridge. I used this with both boys and never had a problem. If in doubt use cartons like a pp said. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->