How long will you breastfeed for?

Tiger22

Reaction score
My daughter will be 13 months and I am still breastfeeding her 5 times a day. She also eats regular food 3 times a day. I am willing to breastfeed her as long as it is benefiting her. I am just wondering how long people usually do it for? Is she still getting benefits from it at say 2 years?
We are also hoping to start trying for another baby soon, I am getting regular periods but wondering if it would be better to wean before or if that wouldn't even matter?
Thanks

I breastfed for 20 months, 19 months, and 2 years. Wish I did it longer!

I was breastfeeding throughout my daughters pregnancy. Quit 3 weeks before. I had my periods no problem.

I nursed DS1 for 17 months, had a regular period from 6 weeks postpartum, and caught pregnant (ntnp) with DS2 when DS1 was 16 months old.

I'm going to nurse DS2 at least until 1 year. Anything after that means luck is on my side. :cloud9:

I'm still nursing at 20 months. Didn't really have a cut-off in mind, just know that I'm not ready to stop yet. Neither is the booby-boy. I guess my next goal is 2 years, then I'll see?

Many women nurse through their pregnancies. It shouldn't matter, but of course you should probably talk to your doctor about that.

As long as I can provide at least 50 percent of what he eats or until he is a year old.

As long as it is mutually desired. I am shooting for 2.5 yrs + though, I plan to TTC a second soon though we will see what happens during pregnancy, etc.

I bf my first for about 2.5 years. Would have longer but it didnt work out that way. My goal this time is as long as he wants. We'll see how well OH plays along. Unfortunately my mom likes to start about how I nursed DD too long and OH will kick off with her :/

As long as LO wants to, hopefully at least 2 years. My period came back at 5 months, so I don't expect it to affect TTC #2.

We're 25 months in and I'm ready for it to be over any time now. She isn't, though. I really don't mind nursing her first thing in the morning but I'm going to try to cut down to just that one feed in the near future. It'd be nice if she self-weaned entirely by 3.

And there will be benefits to breast milk as long as you give it, whether the child is 1 or 5 or 7.

As long as she wants to but I want to make it until at least 2 years. After all the troubles I had breastfeeding with DD1 and ending up pumping all her milk for her until 13 months old I'm amazed at being able to breastfeed DD2 this long and no where near ready to give it up anytime soon.

I'd like to keep going. I'm happy to breastfeed him and I believe the benefits will continue for as long as you do it. However, he gets very demanding sometimes and still wakes up often and (the worst part) is often biting/pressing down hard while nursing. I think that's a teething issue though so I'm hoping it goes away soon. I know he isn't doing it on purpose. So I guess we will see if these issues get better or worse.

I know LO isn't anywhere near ready to stop.

There are ALWAYS benefits to breastmilk regardless of age. :)

I nursed DD for 2.5 years. I would say she self weaned, but with a gentle nudging from me since she was only doing it once a day, before bedtime. I replaced the nursing with just ultra close/tight snuggles and she didn't fight it.

Next time around, my goal is 2 years as well.

There is always a benefit.

I am still bfing my almost 3yo daughter and although it did seem to have affected my luteal phase, once I used opks and figured out when I ovulated I conceived very quickly, nursed through pregnancy and now tandem nurse. She actually holds his hand sometimes or pats his head when they are nursing together. :)

Oh, even though we started blw at 6 months, she still mainly only bf until after she was one. I plan to let both of them bf as long as they want. I am lucky that I have a supportive oh and that the family members who don't support it live really far away, lol. :)

If you’re enjoying breastfeeding, you can continue for as long as you and your baby want to. That could mean until she's a year, or even two years, old. There's no need to stop before you’re both ready.
Most women set goals for breastfeeding of between three months and a year. Though in many parts of the world, it’s usual to breastfeed for two years or even longer.

I nursed my first for 19months until he weaned. I was pregnant so that contributed to it (supply was gone). I am tandem nursing my second at 2.5yo (morning and night) and also my almost 2 month old on demand.

ETA: Forgot to mention - My plan is always to BF until they self-wean, or until the relationship no longer works for one of us.

If you are happy breastfeeding then I would continue :)

I've been bf for two years and am just going to continue until she self-weans.

Weve nursed for eleven months so far...no signs of stopping! Well continue until he self weans:):)

I'm going back to work in about 8 months so will stopping before that.

I'm hoping to make it to at least a year, and beyond that we'll see how it's going at that time!

I breastfed my second child until she was 19months. I plan to do the same with my twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->