How many IVF's before BFP?

barbikins

Mom to DD (RIP) & DS
Reaction score
Hey Ladies!

I'm going to be getting Lap surgery to remove my tubes & starting IVF in January. I'm really interested to hear how many times it took to get pregnant through IVF?

Barb

Hi Barb, I have only had one cycle (IVF/ICSI/PGD) so far. Got 18 eggs, 11 ICSI'ed, 6 fertilised and 4 biopsied with only 2 being normal. Our fresh cycle failed but our frozen 5 day blast stuck and we have a 12 week old baby boy :)

DH and I will be going through IVF again next year for #2.

Hey thanks!
Ive heard the first cycle doesnt have a high rate because doctors wont know how you reapond to the meds.
I think thats too bad..seems like a really expensive experiment!

I haven't had a baby yet, but I also have no tubes and have gotten pregnant 3 times out of 7 cycles but I also have immune issues and I also think I've been on the wrong protocols the last few go's. Just thought you should hear all sides of the story. Not everyone is successful after one or two go's but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Very best of luck to you xxx

I did a lot of reading about FET cycles and when DH and I have our next retrieval we will be freezing all our embryos, letting the drugs get out of my system and will then do a FET cycle :)

Ive heard the first cycle is like an experiment to see how you respond to drugs.
Max odds are at 3 cycles.

Awe, disappointed that this only has 9 voters. There have to be way more successes than that!

Congrats zan!

Yeah im hoping for more first timer success.
Im crossing fingers it will be us.

My first round of IVF led to no fertilised eggs, which was devastating given that I had 20 collected. They changed my protocol for the second, which physically made me feel a lot better (I overstimulated on the first). We also did ICSI on the second go. Despite only 5 out of 15 eggs fertilising, I had one survive to be put back and she is currently asleep in her carrycot :)

I was lucky I had 18 eggs collected 11 fertilised, 5 made it to 5 day blastocysts, I had 2 put back and have one baby upstairs in his cot, I plan on defrosting my other snow babies next year. I was lucky it happened first time for me, I never ever thought I would be one of the lucky ones, I was so negative, but you never know it has to be someone so it could be you!! good luck!!! It's very exiting and scary too, but the actual procedures were no where near as bad as I had imagined them to be. The waiting is the hardest part I think.

I had natural cycle IVF so we only had one egg and I got my BFP (details in my signature) but sadly it ended in chemical. I was not sure how to vote as you probably want to know about BFPs that stick. I cant wait to start our second IVF.

OK 76% of you so far got bfp on first try.
MC or Chemcials count. You got pregnant even if it didn't stick!!!

Sorry to hear Briss, I hope you get your bfp on your second cycle.
Chemical's are common. Some thing like 1 in 4 woman. I was one of those lucky 1 too :(

Ammi thanks! And I"m so happy it worked out for you.

Funny you mention 'waiting'. I have to wait for my surgery before I can even start IVF. Some days I"m relaxed & cool about it & some days I get frustrated!!!
How'd you girls spend you time waiting for your IVFs to come about?

My first round of IVF led to no fertilised eggs, which was devastating given that I had 20 collected. They changed my protocol for the second, which physically made me feel a lot better (I overstimulated on the first). We also did ICSI on the second go. Despite only 5 out of 15 eggs fertilising, I had one survive to be put back and she is currently asleep in her carrycot :)

That's great news!
It must have been so brutal that first cycle.
I'm afraid of that. That the first round of IVF will screw up (just my luck) & the horrible luck will jsut continue from there.
I've really faked up this whole trying to be a mom thing. It's just been so incredible disasterous. I have to get my tubes removed. I wonder to myself "whats next, my uterus?".:dohh:

I don't know how to vote either... I was preggo after 2nd cycle. But I mc at 7 wks so idk if that counts? The 3rd was chemical. The fets were: preggo but mc at 7w5d, chemical, bfp that stuck!

I read before average is "1.5" cycles (so 2). I honestly believe that fets are the way to go due to all the extra hormones and stuff our bodies go through for the fresh cycle.

I've seen a bunch with success on first cycle. I think once you get your tubal issue resolved you have a high chance of success on first go around :)

I got pregnant on both my fresh cycles but the first was a chemical and the second was a miscarriage at 5 weeks. My third try was a FET and I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant. Really hoping this one sticks but I'm nervous of course. We have great betas with this one and I agree that FET's seem to gave higher success rates. Maybe because your body is not under as much stress and less drugs.
Good luck to you!

Sorry to hear about your miscarriages. So nice yourr pregnant again! Good luck.
Yes I hear the reason FET works is because the first cycle is an experiment of sorts. They cant figure ouy how your body works on the drugs until you're on them.

I did a total of 3 IVF cycles:
DH sperm was frozen from a TESE procedure and we collected 3 vials of sperm from that. My eggs were fresh each time because my eggs did not last to have them frozen. My first and second cycles were BFN so we decided to transfer the last vial of sperm to another clinic to try them out. The third try and new clinic worked, and even that got changed to a FET. I was against the freezing of the embryos since none of my eggs have lasted before but it was a miracle it worked.
I don't know if it was the medicine, the lab, the doctors, or just it was supposed to happen the third time. But I would advise anyone to try a different clinic/doctor if you have not had a BFP and to not give up.
Good luck with your IVF and lap surgery, I wish you all the best and hope you have a BFP in January.

Thank you Aribas!
Sounds like you foght against some serious odds.
Congratulations it worked!!

Ive heard the first cycle is like an experiment to see how you respond to drugs.
Max odds are at 3 cycles.

I became pregnant on my first IVF cycle but I had previously had 2 IUI's at the same clinic, one with clomid and one with the same drugs I used in IVF, so maybe the reason it worked was because they'd already seen how my body would respond to the stimulants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->