How much do you hope to give?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has £90 in a bank account which was money given to him for xmas. I always save money given to him, never spend it on toys etc. My 2 brothers tend to give money every bday and xmas so that will always go in there. I also save £2 a week (don't laugh :haha:) into a savings account. Its a measley (sp) amount but it all adds up and is better than nothing I guess. Xx

That's a really good idea... You've inspired me. I'm gonna do the same, not a lot but ill do a small amount by standing order per month and by the time she reaches a decent age she'll have a bit put away.

Thanks!

My son has £90 in a bank account which was money given to him for xmas. I always save money given to him, never spend it on toys etc. My 2 brothers tend to give money every bday and xmas so that will always go in there. I also save £2 a week (don't laugh :haha:) into a savings account. Its a measley (sp) amount but it all adds up and is better than nothing I guess. Xx

£2 a week for 18yrs is nearly £2k.......that's his first boy racer car :winkwink:

Oh god don't!!
I have mini panic attacks about his teenage years! :haha: Xx

Woahhhhhhh!! £100,000? That's shocked me! I thought I was pretty good putting away £10 a week so DS would have about £10,000 at 18. :/

But I will decide when I think he is mature enough to have it. Hopefully it will go towards a car/house deposit like mine did c

Why am I always so rude? That's a new one :thumbup:

With excessive punctuation and the sentence "what about working for your money" that is not just being 'flabbergasted' at the amount some of us wish to give our children, it's being rude.

I've worked since the age of 13, did I need to? No probably not, I had all I needed from my folks. I wanted to though......i have been raised correctly by my parents to appreciate what I have and what I've worked for, and what they've worked for.

As I've already said, if you're not in the position you probably can't understand but that doesn't give any right to pass judgement on what some people will be offering their children just because you can't understand it.

I am really not the kind of person who tries to pick fights or anything but I really really cannot get my head around this. You got a six figure inheritance, and plan for the same for your LO, and you complain about getting a "measly" £20 a week from the "asshole" government; money which you proclaimed you'd put towards coffee mornings. Then, a day later, you're saying you understand the full value of money etc etc....?! I know I'm throwing myself in a snake pit here but I just find it all so... I dunno, weird?! Well, to say the least.

i don't plan to give them any sort of 'windfall' when they turn any age - its not the done thing in ANY of the families i know and its certainly not something i grew up around

if, and its a big if, they are trying to save to buy a house or whatever then i may (depending on circumstances of course no one knows what is going to happen between now and then) then i may match what they save, and i will probably buy or help towards first car etc but no way will i be giving them a six (or even 5) figure sum just because they turn 18 or 21 or whatever

just to add i would have HATED with a passion that my parents may have used money to control me once i had reached adulthood. the idea that your parents could revoke your trust fund until you were 35 would replulse me - i would have to say in that situation i would tell them to fuck off

With excessive punctuation and the sentence "what about working for your money" that is not just being 'flabbergasted' at the amount some of us wish to give our children, it's being rude.

I've worked since the age of 13, did I need to? No probably not, I had all I needed from my folks. I wanted to though......i have been raised correctly by my parents to appreciate what I have and what I've worked for, and what they've worked for.

As I've already said, if you're not in the position you probably can't understand but that doesn't give any right to pass judgement on what some people will be offering their children just because you can't understand it.

I am really not the kind of person who tries to pick fights or anything but I really really cannot get my head around this. You got a six figure inheritance, and plan for the same for your LO, and you complain about getting a "measly" £20 a week from the "asshole" government; money which you proclaimed you'd put towards coffee mornings. Then, a day later, you're saying you understand the full value of money etc etc....?! I know I'm throwing myself in a snake pit here but I just find it all so... I dunno, weird?! Well, to say the least.

I decided to stay away from that thread, however I hadn't actually finished my piece, I just wasn't going to get into it. I said in that thread I didn't need the money, as I don't. Does that mean I shouldn't claim it? No it doesn't even though it will be a drop in my money I still appreciate what I have worked for myself.

I will be claiming CB as I'm entitled to it (currently). I've paid enough into the pot for everyone else to dip their mits into so I'll be taking a (very) little back. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on how little I think it is, measly being my choice of word. I appreciate every single penny I've earnt as I'm living a wonderful life....made for off my own back as if you re-read my posts I have not yet received any trust as I am a few months of being the correct age to become the beneficiary.

Why does an 18/21 yr old need £100,000?!! What about working for your money?

I was asking myself the same question. The whole "snotty tone" thing caught me way off guard. Woah there! Your question was perfectly valid and sue, I think what you said was overly aggressive.

That was just the trust fund as it stands as well!

Couldn't agree more.

And yes Sue, you come across very rude and stuck up :coffee: I'm almost certain others agree

Couldn't agree more.

And yes Sue, you come across very rude and stuck up :coffee: I'm almost certain others agree

10000% agree steph :thumbup:

If only her money could buy manners :dohh:

Definitely agree! Money obviously doesn't buy compassion/manners/gratitude for what you have? Us poor peasants, we couldn't possibly understand how it feels to be so rich... I'd rather be poor anyway than look down on people like you quite evidently do. :)

Well I'm definitely done in here, insinuations that my daughter wouldn't work because of a 'money cushion' is rude, to me only though clearly.

Op - save for your LO what you know you wont miss / need each month, everything adds up and I'm surr you LO will be very appreciate of any gift given to help them later in life.

Also I hope that I have a fairly decent amount to give ivy when she's older. Me and my sisters each got a substantial amount when our grandad died and it really has been such an amazing help; I have been able to pay for my studies and raise ivy without money worries, my older sister has been able to focus on scriptwriting and my younger two sisters are never going to have to worry about uni debt. I don't really get why being left or given money is a bad thing or why some people are so strongly against it, our parents didn't raise us to be spoiled trust fund babies.

For those questioning why a child would need a large sum of money, in our case it will be towards a house etc.. In these times it's difficult enough to get on the property ladder and if we can help our children then we will. I probably won't tell them they have money, and I certainly wouldn't hold it over them. We aren't saving for them ourselves, we are skint on one wage but we are hoping to buy some more properties once I am back to work and once we have a comfortable income ourselves then we will save cash for them.

Well I'm definitely done in here, insinuations that my daughter wouldn't work because of a 'money cushion' is rude, to me only though clearly.

Op - save for your LO what you know you wont miss / need each month, everything adds up and I'm surr you LO will be very appreciate of any gift given to help them later in life.

While that insinuation may have been a little rude, you are literally rude/ stuck up on most threads. You need to get off your high horse before accusing others of being snotty.

That has nothing to do with this topic at all, just in general and your attitude surrounding money.

We put LOs child benifit straight into a savings account so he'll have around £18,000 by the time he's 18 (assuming he stays on for further education) this will help go towards a deposit for his first house.

OH's dad just gave us £35,000 as a deposit for our first house which we are entirely grateful for. OH wasn't given cash upon turning 18/21 though (OH is almost 29)

OH's dad is worth quite a bit of money (through businesses and property) and OH and LO will get a cut when he passes but he has 4 children and a grandchild to split it between.

Holy crap I feel sorry for my child after reading this. He will have a few thousand. If someone gave me 100000 when I had turned 18 it would've been gone by 25 and the stupidest thing they could have ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back