How much does a kitchen cost??

lau86

Reaction score
Or is this like asking how long is a piece of string? Basically we had a leak from our bathroom and its ruined our ceiling (like a tongue and groove false ceiling, which is now hanging down) and the tiles are peeling away from the wall, the wallpaper is damp etc. the insurance have given us £800 minus our excess which is £300. The kitchen is pretty old to be honest and I was thinking about saving the money and adding our own to it to just do up the kitchen entirely, as it seems a bit pointless to do the repairs when the whole kitchen really needs done. I don't actually even know if this is allowed by the insurance,,, but that's another matter I guess. Anyway, if a kitchen is going to cost a fortune we won't be able to do it and just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I go and look stupid in the shop.
It's like a galley style kitchen if that helps

A lot! My parents have done their kitchen up with moveable units from Ikea and it looks amazing but isn't anywhere near the cost of a proper fitted one- not that you can tell it isn't!

It would depend also if you want integrated appliances or simply the units.

Maybe have a look online at somewhere like B&Q to get ideas?

Is it just units or appliances as well?

Our kitchen cost around £1000 for units, doors & worktops then around another £1000 for wall tiles, floor tiles, sink, tap & accessories. This could have been a lot cheaper but we went with a few expensive things, our tap was £150, we got some red mosaic tiles which we wanted.

We saved money by fitting everything ourselves.

I think "how long is a piece of string?" about covers it!

Bear in mind that if you have an older kitchen, you might want to get things like electrics redone at the same time. For us, there's a list of things that need doing first - new boiler so the kitchen can be fitted around it, new electrics as there aren't enough sockets in the kitchen (probably have to get the whole house updated), new windows and move the kitchen door/put in patio doors, then we'll be able to get the kitchen! So with all that I think we're easily looking at £25K, with only £15K for the actual kitchen (including units, some built in appliances, labour). We could get a cheap kitchen put in now but it'd cost us more in the long term. If it's just a matter of replacing some cupboard doors, retiling etc though, it might be quite cheap. You could get a general handyman type round to price up maybe?

ETA - If you would be getting somebody in to do some of it, rather than doing it all yourselves, I'd really recommend getting some quotes. We nearly didn't get our bathroom redone because we'd priced up and then guessed how much somebody would charge. When it came to it, it was a lot more affordable than we though. The guys we've had doing stuff in the house have all been more than happy to do several different quotes too, showing what you can get done for different amounts. I think they're used to people needing to be frugal at the moment!

Thousands. :(

The way to cut costs would be to do some yourself, or at the very least do the dirty work - finding the materials for the cheapest price. We're remodeling/upgrading our home and its taken us a few weeks to decide on exactly what tiles (flooring) we want to use. And the cheapest route was going to industrial areas and wholesale stores and pricing tile, then finding installation companies. When you have a company do EVERYTHING its is sooooooooo much more expensive. And you'll save a lot of money pricing things separately. Also, since most flooring places don't carry all the same stuff, take a sample or at least a picture of the tile and name of the tile you like. Then at least you're comparing apples to apples.

Good luck, its frustrating - but once you get going, it'll get easier. Sorry this happened. :(

ETA: Also, one thing we found out by going to tile/stone/slab places was that some stores sell remnants. Meaning, someone had bought a huge slab and only need part of it and decided they didn't want the rest. Well that remnant is sold at a hugely discounted rate and we saw tons of people looking and planning what to upgrade in their home: kitchen counter tops, bathroom counter tops, dining table tops, table tops, etc. I never knew that, and its an awesome idea!

Also, if your kitchen is older, be careful of asbestos. Not sure if that is something to watch for in the UK, but here it was used before 1980 in ceilings, flooring tiles, the glue used to put the flooring tiles down, and in the joint compound/glue that seals the drywall pieces on the walls together. I was an inspector once upon a time, so if you have questions, let me know. :)

u can also ask kitchen places if they have any old stock.. like the old showrooms?
or if you look on ebay they sometimes list them on there cheap. xx

My sister has a flat she rents out and she kitted it out with an Ikea kitchen, it looks really good! She paid around £1200 for everything (not tiling) and it was hassle free.

We recently got a B&Q kitchen and units, our cooker, sink and tap cost £1700. Then tiles and flooring cost another £500 or so. That was the cheapest of the cheap with a trade discount too. We did all the manual work.

ETA: our kitchen is relatively small, only 7 units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->