How much does stress REALLY impact conception?

TracyE.

Reaction score
So I am still 5 days late for AF, and I have seen a few people say that the fact that I am so wanting to be pg and that I keep thinking about it is probably what is making my period late. That stress will keep me from getting pregnant. But in this day and age, aren't most women under stress? Haven't they always been? It seems to me if stress really was such a factor in whether or not you conceived the human race would not be surviving as well as it has up to this point. Maybe I am just searching for some hope that my AF not coming can only mean one thing, I'm pregnant. I just am not convinced that simply stressing about it is enough to actually keep me from getting my BFP. Any opinions?

I agree with u. Seems a bit weak if a little stress stops us from conceiving. I've always thought the same as u. Good luck to u. Hope it's good news xxx

There is some research out there and I think the consensus is that stress cannot cause infertility, but it has been proven that stress can delay ovulation and periods. But we're talking about serious stress, not just the day-to-day stuff. If your blood pressure is high and your anxiety is high all day and all night, yes, that can make your TTC journey more difficult.

I read an article somewhere (don't remember where), that stress can play a factor in BDing. There has been research that shows that better sex increases the chance of conception.

Living in high stress is not healthy in any way, shape or form. Anyone who can't ever relax really needs to find a solution to alleviate the stress. Exercise is a good outlet, for example.

I personally think our bodies are pretty resilient. If you are going to get pregnant, you are going to get pregnant. I have read stories about women who did meth and heroin and stuff like all through their cycle, ovulation, tww, up until they were past their first trimesters (some, their second) before they stopped.

LIKE SERIOUSLY?

I mean, I of course dont condone doing meth and heroin..it probably wouldnt help. Lol. But all this stress and like smoking, or eating junk food, Nah. If you are going to get pregnant.. it is going to happen. It is all about timing and one determined sperm.

With that being said, I dont smoke. This cycle, I did drink a couple times. I take BA and a prenatal and, even though I had McDonalds for lunch, I dont normally eat that bad. So I try to steer clear of bad habits and not stress about stuff too much. Although, you're right, it is kinda hard to NOT have stress nowadays!

Sorry.. went off on my own thoughts. Lol. Sending lots of sticky baby dust to you. :dust: xxxxxx

As much as I hate to go into my past, I fell pregnant with my DS when under a lot of pressure. I had just bought a house, then lost my job, so was struggling on my ex-husbands wages, my ex husband was also a violent alcoholic and we never had money as he was spending it on booze all the time, we were falling behind with mortgage payments etc etc, as you can see, I was under a huge amount of upset and stress in my life, but It didnt seem to stop me falling pregnant, even though we had been ttc for 2 years previous to all this stress!!
I went on to have a happy and healthy pregnancy and now a beautiful 12yo ds!!

Sorry, just thought I'd let you know my experience.

I personally think our bodies are pretty resilient. If you are going to get pregnant, you are going to get pregnant. I have read stories about women who did meth and heroin and stuff like all through their cycle, ovulation, tww, up until they were past their first trimesters (some, their second) before they stopped.

LIKE SERIOUSLY?

I mean, I of course dont condone doing meth and heroin..it probably wouldnt help. Lol. But all this stress and like smoking, or eating junk food, Nah. If you are going to get pregnant.. it is going to happen. It is all about timing and one determined sperm.

With that being said, I dont smoke. This cycle, I did drink a couple times. I take BA and a prenatal and, even though I had McDonalds for lunch, I dont normally eat that bad. So I try to steer clear of bad habits and not stress about stuff too much. Although, you're right, it is kinda hard to NOT have stress nowadays!

Sorry.. went off on my own thoughts. Lol. Sending lots of sticky baby dust to you. :dust: xxxxxx

And I also absolutley completely agree with this!! Why can the crackheads and herion addicts get pregnant at the drop of their knickers, but us ladies who try to lead healthy lives and eliminate all bad factors from our lives, dont have such luck???

But if they can put poisons like that in their bodies, I don't think stress will affect ttc.

ok, i'll get off my soapbox now :blush:

Hi
I also agree with you....most women are under some form of stress, it's a part of life and I don't think it can stop you from conceiving. It bugs me when someone tells me that stressing about ttc will prevent me from actually conceiving, like it is all completely in my power to conceive when I wish! These comments usually come from people who have never had any problems having their babies or haven't starting having kids yet.....
GL, hope you get your bfp soon.
x

When I conceived last October I was under alot of stress because my sister and her family of 4 were staying here driving me mad, plus my husband and I were near separating. so I dont agree that stress in general keeps you from conceiving I do however think its strange that it happened when I least expected it to.

This is awesome, you guys all have so many great opinions and I agree with all of them!! And I also think that anytime someone tells me to stop stressing about ttc, it only makes me stress out more. Thanks for all the input, it has given me a lot more hope. Hope all of you get your BFP's soon too!!!:hugs:

For me, I feel like it is more mentally jinxing yourself. Kind of like "a watched pot never boils" sort of deal. Like the negative energy you are putting out with the stress just comes back as a fail. But that doesn't stop me from stressing at all, lol!

For me, I feel like it is more mentally jinxing yourself. Kind of like "a watched pot never boils" sort of deal. Like the negative energy you are putting out with the stress just comes back as a fail. But that doesn't stop me from stressing at all, lol!

I think the same way. Even though I am late and trying to be hopeful I will not say out loud "I want to be pregnant" or "I think I am pregnant" because I will ruin it. I know its silly, but I also think its normal. TTC does some crazy things with your mind :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"