How much milk??

sproutly2003

Reaction score
My son is almost 4 weeks and weighs 9lbs. He'd been having 4 oz and going about 4 hours. The past day or two 4oz doesn't seem enough as he's crying. With hunger after 2.5-3 hours. If I give him 4oz every 3 hrs he'd be having 32oz per day which from what I've read is way too much for a baby of his size. Not sure what to do. Could he need the milk for hungrier babies?

You just give a baby however much they want. They are just guidelines no babys the same and if a babys hungry feed them. Dont put him on hungry baby milk until hes takin as much of his bottle as he can but then hes hungry 2hrs later

Just feed him as much as he wants. It's perfectly fine to feed him every 2.5-3 hours as that's normal for his age too, but if he's hungry for more at every feed, then just feed him more (by that, I mean, don't try to feed him more than he wants just to get him to go 4 hours without a feed, it's normal for babies that age to feed probably every 2-3 hours still). Stay away from hungry baby milk. It's awful stuff. If he's hungry, there's a reason for it and the best thing to do is feed him.

My little one is 3 weeks tomorrow and she eats 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours. I was afraid it was too much as well, but if she's hungry I'm not going to deny her.

my lo is 6 weeks and 9lb she drinks just under 5oz every 4 hours on hungry milk.

my lo drank 5 0z every 2 hours on normal milk so the dr told me to change her. especially because she wouldnt settle between feeds

if your lo is settling between feeds they might just be going through a growth spurt.

Why don't you increase the bottles to 5oz?

It doesn't sound like baby needs hungry baby milk, sounds totally normal too me.

its perfectly normal, hungry milk is meant to be for when they are draining 8oz plus bottles and not been settled between feeds,

i switched from breast to formula areound 4half weeks and for a couple of days DS drank 36oz plus a day, he always feeds every 3 hours through the day, they go through a lot of growth spurts in the first 4 months, if baby is draining the bottle increase the amount, all babies are different and they are just guidlines!

the best advice i was given hun was to always put an extra oz in the bottles than what they actually drink. When they start draining the bottle every time its time to add another oz.

If you do that when they want more they can take more. my sisters babies were all bigger babies from birth and took 5oz almost from word go every 2 hours. xx

My LO takes around 3-3.5oz every 3-4 hours but I give her more if she wants it (she was only 6lb5 at birth) so in my case wieght gain is welcomed but if bubs is hungry then it's probably best to feed them.
I'm not sure about the Hungry baby milk..I don't think I would put my LO on it this young. I would just giver her extra of the normal milk x

My LO is 4 weeks and jumped from having 2.5oz every 3 hours to having 4-5oz every 2-3hrs :) Yesterday he had 33oz so similar to your LO. I was concerned because the formula tub says 4oz 6 times a day but my little guy has more than that but it seems normal x

I like to think of him as a milk vacuum, Health visitor/GP would point out too much weight gain if there was concern after all x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->