• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much school uniform?

tommyg

Mum to Smurf & TTC
Reaction score
I'm thinking
2x polos
4x shirts
Should I do those the other way round? 4x polo 2x shirts

3x trousers

3x jumpers (can't decide on sweatshirts or knitted jumpers)

School jacket rather than blazer.

For my son who started in reception last September I bought:

6 polo shirts
3 jumpers
4 pairs of trousers
2 pairs of shorts

Polo shirts are the worst as they are white so I'm constantly washing them!

I so didn't think he would lose stuff as school which they all seem to do very easily (imagine thirty kids with identical uniform changing for PE!). We get a lot of messages around saying 'does anyone have X's jumper' every week!

I never really thought about stuff getting lost and the impact of that on the number of items you need. Maybe I should up to 4 pairs of trousers.

We have,
6-8 polos ( they don't wear shirts.)
5 pairs of trousers
5 jumpers ( combo of both styles)
and a hoody in the same colour as his jumpers.
He also has 2 pairs of shorts.

Reason we have so much much is because ds goes to school with a clean uniform everyday, the school much not provide paper because every single day he comes home with his clothes covered in felt tip marks. Then he usually Stays in his uniform till bedtime and gets food on himself. So it's just easier to have plenty to keep him going. Plus I'm terrible at getting laundry done, and hate the usual Sunday night mad dash.
I'm sure there used to be more, but we have lost a fair bit. I usually need to refresh his uniform at the start of every term.
I agree, the polos are the worst. I really hate washing them because I usualy have to soak and scrub them before I can even get them into the machine. 5 year olds are so messy.

I have to get him ready 3 days as he's at his dads the other 2, but I have 2 pairs of trousers, 2 polo tshirts (purple though and great quality, so don't get as wrecked as white ones!) and 2 jumpers.

He gets clean uniform every day I just have to make sure I wash things in time! The one thing I found we lost more than anything was jumpers. I've gone through 4 this year!

Every year in August I buy

6 polo shirts
3 pairs of trousers
2 jumpers

Then at Christmas or Mid-term (feb) when he may have had a growth I buy the same again.

We have:

6 Polo Shirts
3 Jumpers
3 Trousers
(Per child)

They both end up taking off their jumper during the day so their white polo shirt usually gets covered in pen, paint, dinner etc

Thanks ladies ive ended up with 2 shirts, 4 polos, 4 trousers, 1 jumper. All M&S 20% off

To get 2 sweaters, shoes, jacket etc

Thomas has 4 summer shorts
5 jumpers (1 with the logo)
4-5 joggers
4-5 polo shirts

He comes home covered every day. He is in reception.

Whoever thought white polo shirts were a good idea for schools is mad! At least you can get them at most shops/supermarkets so they are reasonably priced but they get dirty the second after they put them on! I'm forever washing at the weekend to get the new weeks set clean!

Caz_hill they are probably no worse that white shirts. The M&S ones have "stain away" I'm fairly sure my muck magnet of a 5 year old will put it to the test.

Somebody advised to go with short sleeved shirts to avoid the cuffs getting filthy so I guess polo shirts get round that issue lol.

Anybody any thoughts if I should / shouldn't get a blazer?

My sensible head thinks waste of money it will only be worn for a few weeks in August and June if we are lucky. And will look silly with polo/sweatshirt combo.

The sheep in me doesn't want him to be the only kid to turn up on day one without one.

Lana has a blazer which she got when she went into primary 2, she only got it because the high school made them mandatory so she wanted to be like her brother and sister. She wore in August and 2 weeks of September and has had about 2 weeks wear out of it since Easter. We only have 3 weeks left and she is not even wearing it because it's got a bit cold again. Waste of money tbh unless it's a common thing in your school. Lana is one of about 4 in our school who has a blazer.

Uniform amounts I start with 5 shirts and 5 trousers each for the eldest 2, Lana probably has about 10 in skirt, pinafore, trousers or shorts and 5 shirts. I buy all the time though, I am forever replacing shirts or just picking them up in tesco etc. None of mine wear jumpers.

My little boys has about 6 white polo shirts, 4 pairs of trousers and 4 jumpers.
I bought from m&s last year and I have to say the quality is very good.White poli shirts and 5 year old is a terrible idea.My son basically has a new clean uniform every day as he is so mucky!
School jumpers we gave to buy from the school though and are terrible quality.They bobbled after a few washes.Not cheap at £10 each either.

Does anyone know if there is another m&s 20% before September?

They seemed to do it a few times last year I'm sure this will be the same.

They do lots of 20% off but often uniform isn't included!

Yes the 20% off in M & S was on last week.The lady I spoke to in the shop said it will be on for a few weeks.

Paige wears a shirt and tie 3 days, amd a poloshirt 2 days (gym days)

She has 4 shirts, 2 ties, 4 polos, 2 skirts, 2 cardis, 2 pinafores (that she never wears) loads of knee high socks and ankle socks, a blazer and a thick coat for when its too cold for blazer.
I'm not going to bother with a blazer for p2, as much as they are very smart, they're a small fortune and dont get much use.

Eta. Almost all of her p1 class had a blazer on for the first few weeks. I will keep hers for Ella and Hannah so I didn't mind spending the £40 odd on it

Mines going into Year3 this year.

Ive bought:
4 Polos
3 Dresses pinafore
3 Logo cardigans
5 socks and 5 tights, these will be replaced throughout the year

When she was in reception I used to have 6 polos but as they move up school they do less messy play and generally become a little better at not covering themselves in food at lunch times

I would also echo you need to take into account things going missing, make sure you label everything, even then its not a garentee of you getting it back

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->