How much to breastfeed when baby is on solids?

Juniperjan

Expecting no.2!
Reaction score
Hi folks, my LO is 8.5 months old and has been on solids since 24 weeks. I've noticed in the last month or so that she has reduced her milk intake considerably. I have been trying to drop a feed and put her onto formula as I go back to work in a week's time. This has been largely unsuccessful as she doesn't seem to be that hungry for milk during the day at all and won't take the formula. In fact I feel like we have regressed a bit as she used to take water from a sippy cup but all she does now is play with it!

I'm a bit a concerned about her going to nursery and not drinking anything all day. I do try and make sure she gets plenty of yoghurts/cheese/whole milk etc and I make her porridge with formula to see if she can get used to the taste.

Has anyone else had this experience and what did you do? Thanks

Hi, I wish I had seen this thread as I've just posted a new one for the same reason.

By boy is only 7 months but won't take milk from breast, bottle or cup between 5am when he takes his morning feed and 7pm when he feeds as part of his bedtime routine.

The health visitor said some babies just drop their milk sooner than others but it seems awful early to me but I can't make him drink and I don't know what to do about it.

I hope we both get some answers soon x

I know quite a few women who work send their 6m+ LO off to child care where they eat solids and drink water but no milk then LO breastfeeds more at night and over the weekend than they would normally to catch up. If you're happy to offer BF on demand when you are there, I would just play it by ear - keep offering water (or formula if you prefer) during the day, try different cups, straws etc but don't worry about it too much unless you notice an issue with nappies. If you let LO show you what he/she needs, it will most likely be fine.

This may be more due to her age rather than a nursing thing, the once she hits the 8 month mark she will be quite distractible in the day, too busy crawling, etc. Is she night nursing? Feeling well? Then it is probably just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->