How much water/juice to give

Sparky0207

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this thread so popped it in here!
I only started giving Lucy a bit of water (sometimes very weak juice) when she was 6 months and even now she will only have a max 3 - 4 ounces throughout the day, even if its really hot.
Her cousin, who is neary 3 months younger, will happily take anything from 8 - 12 oz of juice a day. Should I be trying to get Lucy to have some more or is she getting enough?

xxx

Grace doesn't drink much juice or water either. She doesn't like water at all really. She has just learnt to use a sippy cup so I put juice in that and she just drinks until she's had enough then she launches it across the room! I think if they were thirsty they would drink more. I wouldn't worry :) x

Kobe used to take loads down, now he has a nubbi cup he still drinks a far bit but one day he will have hardly any and the next day he has lots but he does the same as Grace -> Drinks it then launches it once he is done, gotta love them lol xxx

xxx

I only started giving Lucy a bit of water (sometimes very weak juice) when she was 6 months and even now she will only have a max 3 - 4 ounces throughout the day, even if its really hot.
Her cousin, who is neary 3 months younger, will happily take anything from 8 - 12 oz of juice a day. Should I be trying to get Lucy to have some more or is she getting enough?

xxx

Hi, my son is about the same age as Lucy, (born 9th Sept. 2008). He doesn't drink much water/juice either. I offer it to him after his midday meal and after his dinner. He often takes a suck (trying him on beaker) then looks at the beaker, sloshes it around and takes another small sip. I end un unscrewing the teat and letting him drink from the rim. He quite likes this! All in all, he often has maybe 2 oz at midday and one at dinner. He has plenty of milk though so I'm not concerned. Have you tried lettering Lucy drink from the rim of a cup?? She may just skip all the beaker stages and go straight to a cup?

They actually shouldn't have more than 4oz of juice...even watered down. Like say you do 1oz juice to 3oz of water...that should be all they have that has juice a day. You can do more water than that, but if she isn't really wanting it she's probably fine. She gets alot of water from formula/breastmilk and also the food she eats, she probably just doesn't need anymore than that right now

I offer water with each solid meal but she only really ever has a few sips here and there. She drinks loads of bath water though!

xxx

Hi, my son is about the same age as Lucy, (born 9th Sept. 2008). He doesn't drink much water/juice either. I offer it to him after his midday meal and after his dinner. He often takes a suck (trying him on beaker) then looks at the beaker, sloshes it around and takes another small sip. I end un unscrewing the teat and letting him drink from the rim. He quite likes this! All in all, he often has maybe 2 oz at midday and one at dinner. He has plenty of milk though so I'm not concerned. Have you tried lettering Lucy drink from the rim of a cup?? She may just skip all the beaker stages and go straight to a cup?

I've tried her with a cup with a little spout but she just bites the top and then plays with it! She will happily drink from a cup like n adult but I didnt know if that was 'right' giving it to her from a cup! She'd drink loads if I offered it to her like that which is why I wonder if shes getting enough when she takes it from her bottle

I know Brooke its tons smaller but she usually has 2 - 3oz of juice per day, i do however water it down more than is recommended

At that age I would be concentrating on getting the milk down between meals and offering water at meal times. If it's hot, offer water through the day and bab will have as much as they need. x

i offer maddi juice in between meals and at meal times, though she still has 4x7oz bottles - and let her take as much as she wants x

Water at meal times is fine. Babies need between 18-21oz of milk under 12 months old as its still their main source of nutrition. My baby has never had juice - she doesnt need it, water and her baby milk is all she needs. x

Tom has quite a bit of water, we don't give him juice though as we were advised against it as they'll get too used to it. :)

courtney doesnt have much at all... she doesnt really take it!!

I also water down the juice loads and loads!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->