How much water should i drink before my 12 week scan??

kyesmummy

Mum of 1 TTC#2
Reaction score
Hi ladies

i have my 12 week scan on 13th may and ive read a lot of conflicting posts as to how much fluid is enough for me to see my baby on the scan without being sent away to drink more!!

any ideas????

I drank 1 pint of water and 2 cups of tea and STILL had to wait another 30 mins and drink more...

in total i drunk about 2 pints! i was ready to bust, but its well worth it you do get a much better view!

wow 2 pints!! thats gonna be hard, im running to the toilet to pee after every mouthful of water as it is! lol! but i know it will be worth it to get a clear scan pic of my little one!!

Ive been told i dont need a full bladder for mine?!!

really? when i went for my first midwife appt she called the hospital there and then to arrange my scan and then she gave me an appt card which said you have to come with a full bladder but didnt say how much i should drink

For 12 weeks scan you will need a full bladder!

It had on the bottom of my appointment letter that they no longer require you to have a full bladder. it was the same when i had callum, im sure.

On my 12 week scan appointment letter, at the bottom it said to drink about 2 pints of water before hand, yet when I went for my dating scan, the letter for that didnt say anything about drinking before and they didnt even ask me if I had a full bladder :shrug:

Think i better find my appt letter just to make sure!! Knowing me i'll have read it wrong, lol.

Ive got my 12 week scan 2moro. Im a bit confused as well, as my letter doesnt say anything about a full bladder. I think i will go with a full bladder though, just in case.

I drank a litre starting an hour before and that was about right for me anyway. The sonographer said my bladder looked very full!

Im well confused now, cant find me bloody appt letter either!! :dohh:

My appointment letter said I had to drink 1-2 pints beforehand to have a full bladder .... but how do you know how much to have? Do you drink 1 pint and, if you don't need to pee, carry on drinking? :rofl:

In the end I drank almost 2 pints of squash, and I was doing some serious wriggling! But no comment was made, and I was allowed to dash out to pee immediately after the scan, before going on to see the midwife.

Ive been told 1.5 pints. 1hr - 40mins before scan
It worked fine for my scans :D

Think i'll take a bottle of water with me when i go next week, unless i find my letter.

Well I had to call up and make the appointment myself as they don't send the appointment to you for some reason. So I didn't even get a letter. On the phone they never said anything about a full bladder or not.

I have my scan tommorow and I am sh**ing myself.

Which is probably why I am in such a foul mood tonight!

Well I had to call up and make the appointment myself as they don't send the appointment to you for some reason. So I didn't even get a letter. On the phone they never said anything about a full bladder or not.

I have my scan tommorow and I am sh**ing myself.

Which is probably why I am in such a foul mood tonight!

Im sure everything will be fine hun.

Good luck though. x

I got a leaflet from my midwife when she booked the appointment and it said to drink 2 pints of water an hour before. I did this but needed to pee after about half a pint but managed to hold it in and drink another 2 pints my bladder was very full though, I had to go and empty it a bit half way through the scan lol.

I am sure everything will be fine, Id say about a pint to 2 should be enough. She said I wouldnt need to have a full bladder at my 20 week scan. It will be amazing seeing your little been moving around on the screen, even if you are dying to wee!!

I had my 12 week scan today and it was amazing...enjoy! x

i had my scan that early in the morning i decided to go without my morning pee so i knew my bladder was full. and on my second scan i drank till i almost wet myself waiting for my turn to be scanned xD

The way i see it, is if you go with a full bladder you can empty it if need be, but if you go empty you cant just 'fill' it on demand lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->