How much??

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
This is probably a common question but how much breast milk does your baby have in a day? Also how old are they and how much do they weigh??

I've been expressing for the last 3 days to get an idea of what my DD has and its between 15-19oz in 24 hours. She is 12w5d and was weighed today 11lbs 6oz.

Her HV said she should be having around 30oz a day but with my daughters issues (severe reflux) that's not easily done.

My aunt exclusively pumped and I checked her blog just now. Her son would have about 800ml/27oz at that age. He was on the lower end of the weight scale I think. 11lbs 4oz and 61cm long.

Hmm so she is potentially not getting enough milk. Maybe I should just feed from the breast and stop expressing in case she gets more that way.

You won't express nearly as much as your LO can get out of you by nursing.

But if you want to try and pump still, then there are a few things to help your letdown:
nipple stimulation
pictures of LO
Videos of LO (I frequently use his first bath at the hospital since I can hear his first cries <3)
massage the breasts before pumping
warm/hot towel before pumping

Best of luck!!

I wouldn't overanalyze this if your lo is doing well. Every woman's milk is different. I've had to exclusively pump for my son, and he's never had more than 24 oz per day. He's a giant - 90th %ile in weight and off the charts tall. His intake seemed low to me, but the doctor said I must just make very rich milk.

I should also add that he was failing to thrive his first month and stayed very thin for his length up until about 6 months. So, that means that his 24 oz per day was enough to catch him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->