How offen/long should he be sleeping?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Hi all,

You can tell I'm a first time mummy! Alex is almost 14 weeks old, 1 week corrected.

When he first came home, Alex slept most of the day and only woke up for feeds. The past couple of days though he has started to stay awake most of the day. He seems tired though and is very fussy which is unlike him. He's always grabbing at his ears and face which I've read is a sign of tiredness. Basically my question is does it sound like there's a problem? How long should he be awake during the day?

I think he actually has colic as he is crying a lot when he is awake and seems to have a painful tummy.

You could maybe try infacol to see if that helps.

Holly was always a rubbish sleeper so no advise on that front I am afraid. Its only in the past month Holly has eventually started sleeping through the night :happydance:

Same here Daniel hardly ever sleeps i read somewhere babies should have 19 hours sleep a day well my baby surely never got the memo !

Some days he can have 20 mins a day ! then ever 4 hours in the nite, some days he'll have a few hours in the day, i just really think it depends on babies mood, try not to worry i keep in touch with a lot of the NICU mummys and some stay awake all day some sleep all day just depends on the baby i guess xxx

18- 20 hours is about right, and you are right, it seems there are sleepy signs. At that age about an hour to 90 minutes up is as much as they can take. Start clock watching and try for the nap before you would normally see a sleepy sign, or the minute you see one. Overtiredness is a nap killer. If colic is keeping him up, try napping on the tummy, we used to put a hot water bottle I. the basket first as heat helped Abby. I know tummy sleeping is frowned upon, but for a nap, where you can keep an eye on them, you should be ok. It really helped Abby and was only for a couple of weeks whilst the colic passed. She always back slept at night.

Thanks. What we thought was colic was actually a hernia causing him pain so hopefully after his surgery tomorrow he'll be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->