How often should an 8 week old baby be fed?

axious81

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long an 8 week old baby should go between feedings. I nursed my daughter at 5:30 this morning. I brought her in to daycare at 7:30. I asked them if she could be fed soon since she hadn't eaten since 5:30 and they said they would feed her no problem. When I picked her up and got her sheet, it said they didn't feed her until 10 o'clock and she only ate 2 ounces. That means that she went over 4 hours without eating. They also fed her at noon and didn't feed her again until 4. I had told them that she eats every 2 hours. This is only her 2nd day of daycare and I am new to this. Am I right to be upset, or is this enough? I don't want to be overly reactive, I just don't feel like she's getting fed enough. Thanks so much.

Surely they would have fed her if she was indicating she was hungry? You know her schedule and needs best so it isn't ridiculous to be upset about this. However, maybe if you were not around she did not 'smell' you and thus didn't get hungry as often? It is possible they were being neglectful but also possible your dd was less hungry. You should ask them about why they waited so long to feed her.

I agree with pp to ask them why they waited so long. Was
she asleep? My dd (almost 6 months) gets fussy at three hours pretty much on the dot and the daycare feeds her right away. The only time she has ever gone longer is if she's asleep. Maybe your dd is a bit off with this change in routine and didn't want to eat?

Sounds like she is back cycling. This is when a breastfed baby prefers the breast so they eat only enough to quell their hunger from a bottle then make up for it at the breast. Also, an average feed for a breastfed baby is 2.5-3oz so it sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->