How popular is amelia and Isla?

Trolley_Dolly

Reaction score
This is our first and we don't know how popular these names are as we don't know many children...just worried they are very popular ATM :wacko:

Here in California neither are very common [although most A names are becoming popular].
I really like Isla, and I have yet to meet anyone in person with that name! :thumbup:

I'm in the UK and both are very popular here, number 1 (Amelia) and number 7 (Isla) on Bounty's list of most popular names 2013. I know a few Amelia's and 2 Isla's at toddler groups we go to, which makes me sad as I love both names but DH wouldn't go for them while they're so popular :(

Very popular! As pp said Amelia more so than Isla. I'm in the uk too. Can be a good thing to have a popular name - shows lots of people like it and she'll not have the problem of correcting pronunciation or spelling!

My daughters name is Isla!! I LOVE the name! However I'm from Canada and it's a very uncommon name here. Not many people have heard of it before. That being said it's starting to gain popularity. In the UK I think it's a very common name. But if you like the name, go for it!! :)

Im in the UK and know 1 amelia and no isla's. I love both names. It wouldnt matter to me if they were common or uncommon names, if you love them thats all that matters :)

Amelia was on our list until we realised just how popular it is in the UK and now I feel I can't get on board with it. We're based in Ireland but it's only a matter of time before it becomes overused here too *sigh*

Sometimes I wish you could patent names!

It is a beautiful name though, as is Isla. I don't know about the popularity of Isla tbh. I don't think it's as popular at Amelia. I think you've got to weigh up how much you love the name vs how much it would bother you to have a popular name. Good luck!

I don't know any Amelia's. There's 2 Isla's in the toddler group we go to.

Very popular around here - I know 4 Islas and 2 Amelias.... (Lily is also very common).

But I always say they're popular names because they're great names!! xx

Quite popular here too.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm:77-318071 you can download the official data for the UK here (tends to be about 18 months behind but will give you a good idea of how many babies were given that name). It shows every baby name that was given to at least 3 babies registered that year.

Very popular by me. I know of 5 Amelia's ages 9 months - 2 xx

Very popular here too. 2 of each at our ballet class of 12 girls

I'm in the Uk and Isla is crazy popular where I live. I love the name so much though but we're having a boy :) I know 5 Islas from groups I go to with ds and every time I go to the park every other girl seems to be called isla too. It's a really lovely name though. Amelia is less popular and I only know of one little one called Amelia.

Very popular where I am too, but they are beautiful names so it wouldn't bother me too much X

Both in top 5 according to Aprils Bounty Baby name website. But like others have said, they are lovely names, so if you like them you shouldn't worry about popularity, unless it bothers you of course xx

Amelia is very popular. I also know of 3 girls under the age of 5 called Isla though - still on my list for the time being! I love the name so don't give a damn who else uses it :haha:

I know one of each and I hear it most times we go to soft play.

I'm in the UK too and whilst they are supposed to be very popular I only know 1 amelia and no isla's so I think it depends on the area:flower:

Amelia is rapidly becoming popular in the US (17th place in 2013 and on its way up). Isla less so because it's a less familiar name here, but because of actress Isla Fisher will probably become somewhat more popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->