How the heck do you cope when you live in a hot country??

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi

I'm being a moaning Brit and struggling with the heat which normally I love, I pay to go on holiday where it's this hot.
The thing I hate is I'm constantly sweating on my face it's so embarrassing. Inside and outside. I'm talking beads of the stuff not just a little shimmer or healthy glow!:haha:
If you live in a hot country 30c must be like a cool day for some but not here in the UK it's like freak weather.
I have no air con. I thought I was fairly fit and I'm keeping well hydrated but it's just embarrassing. I'm trying to get on with my day and get on with it but I look like I've just been swimming!:haha: it's that bad...
Anyone else got this uncontrollable sweating and any tips? X

We have air conditioning in our houses in the hotter parts of the US. The way we cope is that we just don't go outdoors as much during the day! If I want to walk, I either go in the morning or late evening when the sun is coming down.

Drinking lots of water is also important.

Honestly though, I'm also just used to it. I'll happily take a walk at noon in mid-80s (29 to 30 C) weather as that feels pretty nice to me. Today we're supposed to get up to 95 F/35 C and I won't spend much time outside in that.

Dressing for the weather helps some too. If you're going to be outside, wear a hat or consider wetting a bandana and tying that around your neck. I'm buying a bunch of dresses so that I don't have to wear hot spandex belly panels for the part of the summer that hits 38 C.

I have family that live in a hot country, they avoid going out during noon, drive or take a taxi everywhere and homes have air con, people shower very often too. The sweating is such a big problem for me in pregnancy, so much so that I wear maternity dresses which don't show up sweat :dohh: and I've recently bought one of those fans that attaches to your phone, I also use a lot of magicool atm!

I just avoid going outside lol. Leave the blinds closed during the day, open the windows at night (If it has dropped under 70 which it doesn't always). I have a tall fan I sit next to all day lol. It's an energy saver so doesn't kill the electric bill. I do have a wall ac downstairs but I only like to use it when I'm dying. Shorts, tank tops, lots of iced water.

Thank you all, well you will be glad to hear I survived the heat wave of 28c, few! normal UK weather has now returned and that was our summer haha. Back to cold, wind and rain.. Que my next thread, How the heck do you survive in a cold country? Lol x

Blankets and jackets and sweatpants. Cold is so much easier imo cuz you can keep layering. When it's hot there's only so much you can take off lol

Where I live almost every home is build with a/c units. It gets 90-100 degrees and humidity is horrible which makes it feel 100+ degrees Fahrenheit. Our worst months are yet to come which is july and August where it can feel up to 120 degrees!
We keep the a/c on, drink tons of water, and don't do too much outside unless it invokes cold water!

An interesting thread. Always fun to hear about other countries.

It truly depends on what you're acclimatized to. I am in the US and have lived in an area where I have felt both extremes (Alaska): -51C to 37C (-60F to 100F for my American friends 😂). I currently live in Maine and the temps the last couple days have been about 32C (90F) but with 90% humidity. And honestly... we have air conditioner for our bedroom only but rarely use it. I haven't gotten too hot yet, thankfully, but ways I cool down when I overheat in general:
- stick my feet in a bucket / tub of REALLY cold water until they hurt/go numb. Keeps my whole body cool for a while
- ice pack at the back of the neck
- no tight fitting clothes
- fans on me at night with windows open (closed during the day)
- dehumidifier on to decrease humidity levels in house (makes a huge difference!)

The one thing I haven't tried for the heat but wouldn't be opposed to trying would be to lounge in my dog's pool, hahaha! We bought him a plastic kiddie pool a few years back. I'd have no problem filling it up and just sitting in there outside.

Cold temperatures are easier to handle! Just layer up! This last winter I was freezing and the temps were moderate (for Maine) around -6C (20F). I had on: fleece leggings, flannel lined pants, thermal shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, my fleece bathrobe, a winter coat, all wrapped in a blanket. All at once. I could not warm up. Meanwhile my DH (who was born/raised in Alaska) is walking around in his boxers laughing at me. Funny enough, I'm handling the heat and humidity better than he is now, even with my preggo belly!!! 😂

its generally around 95-100F where I live during the summer months. I lay under the fans or go to the basement where its definitely not as hot, and sit and do nothing all day long.

Yep, here we have central air conditioning. It was my requirement when we bought our house. I also use a fan (or 2) and open windows at night since it does usually drop into the 60s.

When I have to leave the house I go straight to my air conditioned car. But I try to get all my running around done by 10 before it gets unbearable.

I also try not to over do it. I rest and keep well hydrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->