How to go about requesting betas?

VerucaSalty

Reaction score
Short backstory: M/C 2006, had my beautiful son in 2007, daughter passed in utero at 28 weeks in 2009, just decided to TTC last month, BFP at 7dpo on this past Saturday.

Needless to say, the odds aren't in my favor. Anyhow, I am suddenly forgetting how to pregnant, LOL! I have my first appointment this Thursday with the midwife group I chose. I'll barely be 4 weeks then. Crazy. I've been going slightly batty the past few days with worry. I have been seeing people post their betas and really want to get my blood drawn to check and either give me some peace of mind or prepare me for another loss.

So, basically, did you just ask your OB for a blood test? I really have no clue as to how to go about obtaining them. Is this something I can just walk into a lab and request a blood draw for? Ahhhh, I'm so lost this time around!

TIA for any advice.

To be honest I would just ask! And explain why you would want to have tests done. My GP actually gave me papers for blood test as soon as I told her that I was pregnant. I believe it varies per country and doctor though, but I don't see any reasons as to why your doctor would tell you no xx

Thanks Rachel! It's been a while since I've seen my GP, and I called a bit ago to see about getting a bloodwork referral but they won't do that until I re-establish care with them blah blah blah. I do have an upcoming midwife appointment, so I suppose I'll ask then. I'm just so impatient!

You could tell them that you've been spotting and having cramps. I know it is terrible to say this if you're really not but sometimes it is the only way to get them to do anything. Usually if you've had a mc in your history though they will do betas anyway. As Rachel said it depends upon your doctor.

I think it depends where you are. In the UK, betas aren't something that are routinely checked, unless they suspect an ectopic. However, given your history, your doctor may agree to do it, if you ask.

Please don't pretend you're having pain and bleeding as a pp suggested. As someone who has experienced a loss, I just wouldn't tempt fate.

I think it depends where you are. In the UK, betas aren't something that are routinely checked, unless they suspect an ectopic. However, given your history, your doctor may agree to do it, if you ask.

Please don't pretend you're having pain and bleeding as a pp suggested. As someone who has experienced a loss, I just wouldn't tempt fate.

Thanks, I'm going to ask my midwife. And I would never tempt fate like that; I'm entirely too superstitious. Been there done that for reals.

I totally agree with not tempting fate by lying about bleeding etc. I hear so many women on here suggest it and it's one thing that really annoys me. Saying that though with your history I can't see why they wouldn't agree to doing bloods. Although it does really depend on your gp as it's not something they normally will check. 9 chemicals, 6 miscarriges and a second tri loss and I still had to fight this time to get my levels checked, and I was bleeding too. Nhs can be a pain. I really hope they agree to check bloods for you and it helps you relax. Congrats on your pregnancy!!

I totally agree with not tempting fate by lying about bleeding etc. I hear so many women on here suggest it and it's one thing that really annoys me. Saying that though with your history I can't see why they wouldn't agree to doing bloods. Although it does really depend on your gp as it's not something they normally will check. 9 chemicals, 6 miscarriges and a second tri loss and I still had to fight this time to get my levels checked, and I was bleeding too. Nhs can be a pain. I really hope they agree to check bloods for you and it helps you relax. Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Me too MaryAnne! I had an argument with a 'friend' about that very thing a while ago. She actually mentioned to me that she was thinking of doing it, whilst I was undergoing IVF, not long after suffering a MC. It does make me mad!

VerucaSalty, it's definitely worth having a word with your GP. As with most of these things, it really depends on your Dr. and more often than not, where you are. Good luck!

Me too MaryAnne! I had an argument with a 'friend' about that very thing a while ago. She actually mentioned to me that she was thinking of doing it, whilst I was undergoing IVF, not long after suffering a MC. It does make me mad!

VerucaSalty, it's definitely worth having a word with your GP. As with most of these things, it really depends on your Dr. and more often than not, where you are. Good luck!

That's awful!! It just shocks me that so many people consider it ok to do that. Even if i hadn't struggled to concieve I still would never consider doing it. It's not fair to the women who really are experiencing difficulties like bleeding.

Verruca salty, I just thought , it does depend on your area but some places are self refferal to the epau, if you could speak to yours and explain your reasons for wanting your blood checked im sure they might help you. Good luck!

That's awful!! It just shocks me that so many people consider it ok to do that. Even if i hadn't struggled to concieve I still would never consider doing it. It's not fair to the women who really are experiencing difficulties like bleeding.

Verruca salty, I just thought , it does depend on your area but some places are self refferal to the epau, if you could speak to yours and explain your reasons for wanting your blood checked im sure they might help you. Good luck!

Completely agree! I guess it just shocks me even more when it's suggested by people that have experienced loss and/or struggled to conceive. I'm a member of a MC group on FB and I've seen ladies suggest it on there. It surprises me every time.

In america we have labs where we can order and pay for most any lab tests we want. Ironically its called anylabnow. Maybe chech for something similar around u...when I got ivf meds a few months back my RE wouldnt test my progesterone, knowing its super low to begin witj. If I was pregnant I could have lost it, so I found that place to put my mind at ease. Wish u the beat if luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->