• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to know when to give up driving manual?!

Josie

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been having driving lessons on a manual car for 7-8 months (haven't counted the exact amount of lessons as dread to think how much I have spent!!)

I know it would be beneficial to have a manual license as obviously its gives you the choice to drive either manual or automatic, the majority of cars in the UK are manual, its cheaper and you dont get any stick from people for not being a 'real driver' haha.

But...

I am really struggling!! I just can't get the hang of the clutch and gears!! I feel nervous before every lesson and when I'm in the lesson I'm just waiting for it to end! People keep saying 'oh dont worry it will click' but I've been waiting for it to click for 8 months and I'm still making the same mistakes and I don't feel like I've progressed at all.

All I want is to feel comfortable and confident driving, and I feel if there is a much easier option (automatic) why not take it?! Why keep struggling when I don't need to?! I have already pretty much decided that even if I did pass on a manual, I would probably buy an automatic anyway for an easy life! So then I think well whats the point carrying on these lessons if I won't even buy a manual in the end?!

I've thought about maybe doing one automatic lesson and seeing how I find it? If I'm honest I'm a bit worried about the stigma people get for driving automatic haha but at the end of the day I'm the one behind the wheel, driving on my own to work and back everyday so I need to feel confident?

Anyone got any tips or experience with this?!

xx

Hi, I don't really have much to say except offer some encouragement. Firstly if you just want to drive automatic and you're happy with that then forget everyone else. It's not their car or their life. However if you want to learn manual then it is possible, maybe you need a different driving instructor? Different styles of teaching suit different people. I had a brilliant teacher who helped me feel so confident in driving. If I felt nervous I'd mess up and stall, but once I felt comfortable with my teacher and comfortable with driving I started to love my lessons. Being nervous makes me under-perform on things I am otherwise good at so maybe it's similar to you.

Anyway, good luck with the driving and I hope you start enjoying it soon :flower:

I know how to drive both automatic and manual transmissions and by far prefer automatic. My manual skills are functional and I could drive a manual car if I had to, but automatic is so much easier. The only time I prefer manual is when driving in the snow, but that is only because the city I live in has a lot of hills.

I say learn how to drive an antomatic. It is important for you to feel comfortable behind the wheel.

What mistakes are you making? How is the instructor helping?

I 100% feel like you do. I used to take driving lessons and it was the worse 6 months of my life. I even took kalm tablets and that didn't work. I really do sympathise. The thought of starting lessons again fills me with worry. I think maybe a change in instructor would help and if not then you will know whether if was you or the instructor xx

I left it a year before switching- man I wish I'd done it sooner! Changing to automatic took a big stress out of driving and made it that much easier to work on becoming a decent driver. I'd switch if I were you- you can always re-sit your test in a manual once you've passed and got confident driving an automatic, if you want to.

I would stick at it.

Guy I know (disabled) has an automatic and it isn't very economical fuel wise. They use more fuel.
Ps. Perhaps you need to try a new instructor?
Xx

I tried manual years ago and just didnt get on with it all... same as you i just didnt "get" it!
i started automatic lessons last year and passed my test in May.
I loved automatic, so much less stressful and much much easier!
As for using more fuel, its really not a big difference, you certainly wont be using lots of £'s more of fuel every month.

also, you can try manual when you are ready, you'll be confident on the roads and will only need to focus on one thing by then :)

I would stick at it.

Guy I know (disabled) has an automatic and it isn't very economical fuel wise. They use more fuel.
Ps. Perhaps you need to try a new instructor?
Xx

This isnt true for all auto's. I get 41 MPG out of my petrol Vectra :thumbup:

OP - I learnt in a manual and hated it, somehow i passed and due to leg problems we now own 2 auto's. I LOVE driving now. I now cant imagine being without a car. So i'd say maybe try a small block of lessons in an auto and take it from there. If you prefer it carry on, if not switch back to manual lessons. Even my OH who always slated auto's said he's never go back to manual. People say they arent as fun to drive and thats rubbish.. My V5 Golf is seriously fun to drive :winkwink:

Good luck xx

I started off manual lessons like you and could never get the hang of the gears etc. I started auto lessons in Feb and passed over a month ago, it's so much easier driving an automatic. Good Luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->