How to maintain a fit pregnancy through morning sickness and fatigue?

jvdb

Reaction score
This is my second pregnancy. During my first I exercised moderately (mainly weight lifting with light cardio) up until about 25 weeks and the sort of just tapered off.

Since that pregnancy I have been exercising regularly and managed to get down to my pre pregnancy weight, it felt great. I vowed that for my own health I would exercise moderately THROUGHOUT my entire next pregnancy. My main complaint when I restarted exercising post partum was that I had absolutely no muscle tone, I felt like mashed potatoes (haha). I absolutely cannot go back to feeling that way, being stronger feels so much better and healthier.

Here I am, nearly 8 weeks into my second pregnancy and my morning sickness and fatigue are so bad that I can barely get off the couch to take care of my daughter or to do some minor house work. So much for exercising! I am not even able to eat healthy, I threw up twice today and usually enjoy a large helping of veggies with my meals, but they just make me gag, I cannot even swallow them! I am not always throwing up but am constantly nauseated and when I am able to eat its usually a piece of toast, or meat (go figure I am craving meat when most people can't stand it in early pregnancy lol). Not exactly a balanced diet.

I guess I'm just feeling down. I am very anti - sit on your butt and eat junk food in pregnancy. What a horrible way to start out your little one's life. I agree that rest is extremely important, but also activity. I am getting 10-12 hours of sleep between night time and 1-2 naps when I can manage them.

How did you all manage? Did you start to feel better and were you able to jump start your fitness routine again?

I found swimming/aquanatal brilliant as it kept my muscles reminded about what to do but was really gentle on my morning sickness.

I lift my two little ones and walk loads, usually pushing a super heavy buggy. That will be fine for me, for now. Plenty of time afterwards for proper exercise!

Ps. Jealous of your sleep levels!!! Sounds amazing!

I have hyperemesis (severe morning sickness) and had it with both this and last pregnancy. For me it was more important to try and get food down that was healthy. I am exhausted. In my first pregnancy I was able to do more in second trimester, I was teaching exercise every morning for 15 minutes 5 days a week and PE as well as walking. This pregnancy I am at the point of having enough energy to look after lo and not much else. I will start walking more when I feel upto it but I am very conscious of not pushing my body to much as I will just end up in hospital. I think its been sensible and knowing your limitations. I make sure I eat veg and fruit depending on what I think I can manage. I would do what you feel up to. I had a healthy pregnancy once sickness got a bit better last time and had a good labor with lo and was in pre pregnancy stuff 2 weeks after (breast feeding does help). I run after my lo and that is exhausting at moment

I'd get outside and take a walk/jog outside in the fresh air. Fresh air (and cold air maybe, depending on where you live) will help settle your tummy, and if you're outside and need to throw up, no biggie!

I'm a hardcore "if you're not panting and sweating and pissed off or zoned out, it's not hard enough exercise" person. That said, first tri is arguably the toughest time to exercise depending on your symptoms. I agree, get out and walk around in some fresh air if you can manage it. It might make you feel better than being trapped inside the house with the food and the stale "inside winter air" feeling. But I wouldn't stress out about it if your activity level drops drastically for part or all of the first tri. Your energy will return in the second and you can get back into a good exercise routine and maintain through the rest of the pregnancy. You could even forget about housework every other day if your energy levels are only enough to choose between a short, brisk walk and a little housework. First tri sucks, and it's important to remember that what you do during first tri just to get by doesn't have to define your entire pregnancy.
I've never been one to use this as an excuse for bad health/habits during pregnancy or nursing, but your baby really will take exactly what they need from your body's stores. A vegetable garden can take a pile of shit and dirt and turn it into nourishing fare. Your body will do the same.
I frequently took weeks off at a time during my first tri with my first son and then continued to consistently run long-to-moderate distances, weightlift, and swim after I was out of the first trimester miasma. It's okay, you'll get through it, especially with your determination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->