how to practise sitting up?

alice&bump

mummy to katie
Reaction score
i've just read alio's thread and ema saying about practising sitting up, but didnt want to threadjack.

how do you practise sitting up? katie loves sitting on our knees, but i dont know if thats enough to practise?

Babies dont start sitting up unaided *usually* until 5months plus, so its very early days for u and ema to be trying. Id wait a couple more months x

ya there isnt much way to get them sitting up. The best way is to do lots of tummy time to strenthen their neck and spine. I also prop Jasmine up alot on pillows on the couch and I noticed lately she has been trying to lean/pull herself forward more into a more upright position (the pillows kinda suck and she still leans back a tiny bit). But I just play with her while she is sitting using the cusions, and it seems to encourage her to sit herself up more and look.

Some others will disagree, but once they have some strength in their neck and back, you can use the bumbo a bit. Jasmine can sit in it for a bit and hold her head and use her arms already so I know she is ready.

Tummy time! To build their back and neck muscles. Hannah has preferred to be in the sitting position since she was 2 months old. We just let her sit upright on our laps. Closer to the three month mark we started using her bumbo and her exersaucer so she could sit up on her own (though we did have to use blankets to help prop her in the exersaucer for the first few weeks). Now she can sit up unaided for a few minutes before toppling over, and she gets better everyday!

once your little one is a bit older and has that neck and back muscle a little more developed, (be patient it may take a while.. my LO is 6 months and has only just starting sitting up on her own, while other can start as early as 3 months) try sitting her in the floor on her bum, sit with her, spread her legs as far apart as you can get them, it gives great balance. its going to take a while, so be sure your there to support her, once shes starting to get the hang of it, make sure theres lots of pillows for her to fall back on :) goodluck, and be patient! you dont want her growing up too fast!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->