how to private rent.

cookielucylou

Reaction score
We are looking at private renting and looked at all the sites like rightmove etc. We see a property we like and enquire about it, just to be told its already been let. I've also emailed several agents with our requirements, and they dont seem to get back to us. i thought i had got somewhere last week when i emailed one agent and we had a chat and they said they would look on their books. I have heard nothing back from them since.
I have also looked on sites like gumtree but they seem to just be full of wanted ads.
How do people actually manage to get private rentals?

Its really hard, I would try popping in to an actual estate agents rather than ringing them as you can look through what they have easier.
Also maybe worth just driving around, thats what we did as 'to let' signs go up before the ads do, and often the good places are gone so quick. Our house didn't even make it on to the website, and had over 10 people wanting to view so we was so lucky
xx

Go into or call up, explain your situation, and keep bugging them. Keep an eye out on the ads, every day and call up for a viewing. Its a real pain, but it just takes perseverence and a bit of patience.

Have you tried looking in the local paper for private ads too, dealing with the landlord direct?

I have been googling for private lets but it doesnt seem to come up with much.
Where we want to move to is a 40min drive from where we are at the moment which obviously makes it difficult to get local papers etc.
It does seem a massive headache-i would have thought it would be easy to find somewhere.

We looked online at rightmove, and when we found ones we liked, we went to the estate agents and asked to see the houses/flats. I had just turned 19 and OH 21.

rental properties go so quick, a lot of them are taken by the first person to view. Call your letting agents and let them know what you are looking for and your price range, that way they can call you and let you know as soon as something new comes in. You could also ask to be but on their mailing list as some email the new instructions to you, a couple of days before they are advertised.

we have always managed to find our properties on rightmove, i think it is just a case of searching until something comes up.

i just went to the estate agents? had the house i wanted within a week!

I also thought it was pretty straight forward. I can understand the frustration when a house has gone yet still on the site though, that is a royal pain in the ass.

Keep trying! If you have a bad experience with one site/agent, move on to the next until you find the right fit for you. It took us a while to find our first place, everything in our budget (that we liked) seemed to get snapped up so quickly!

I think we may have taken a step forward-just trying to arrange a viewing!

Rental properties can go really quickly if they are in desirable locations. I would search in google 'properties to rent in the location you are after'. They should show all of the properties from the different letting agents.

yes its extremely irritating and stressful! Look on zoopla, you can sort the properties by when they were most recently added to the site. My OH and I just put a deposit down on a rented place yesterday, it was a private advert on gumtree and I saw it about 2 minutes after the landlord posted it and got in touch right away, we told him we wanted it at the viewing as he had 4 other people wanting to see it!. If you are not the first to view it and its nice you have very little chance. Goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->