How to pronounce Aislinn?

Ace-lynn or Ayz-lynn

I would say it more like this : Aze- lynn

thats the irish way to spell it so prob the irish way to say it which is Ash-lyn lol

See this is my dilemma...I know its Irish and the Irish pronunciation is Ash instead of Az/Ace...but I can't see anyone on this side of the pond looking at the spelling and getting that--in American English Ai makes a long A sound.

I like both pronunciations...

Ashlynn but only because I've seen the name before and know how it's pronounced. If I were to look at it and take a guess I would probably say it Azz-lynn.

I voted ash-lynn, would you consider spelling it Ashlinn/Ashlynn, if you are worried?. I personally love it spelt Aislinn though.

x

I voted ash-lynn, would you consider spelling it Ashlinn/Ashlynn, if you are worried?. I personally love it spelt Aislinn though.

x

We've talked about it, and I don't think it looks as pretty as Aislinn. DH and I are discussing how to pronounce, I'm leaning more toward the traditional Irish pronunciation, and he's feeling more like if no one can pronounce her name, its just going to be annoying, so we may as well say it how it looks.

Aislinn is said Ash-lin or you can spell it Aisling which gives you Ash-ling. I would tend to go for the proper pronunciation cos I heard of a girl in New york who was called "granny". Her name was actually Grainne which should be said graw-na. People will soon get used to her name and if they dont she will soon correct them. Its a lovely name and I think the Aislinn spelling is the nicest although here in Ireland people would tend to put the g on the end even tho its not there.

This is my cousins name. It's pronounced Ash-linn. She spells it Aislinn. We're in England and I don't know of any problems she has had with her name. Might be different in the US, but many names are said differently between the US and the UK.

I just looked it up on the social security website, and it hasn't been in the top 1000 names. I doubt many people are familiar with it at all, which is why I think they would say it the way it looks. (My DH's aunt has a grand daughter named Aislinn and everyone does call her "Ace-linn" but I don't know her parents to know what they call her or think about the pronunciation.)

"Ashlynn" has been in the top 1000 Names every year, ranked around 300th.

Interesting

In modern use, the feminine Aislinn is often pronounced \ICE-lin\ or \ACE-lin\. These pronunciations both result from reading a Gaelic spelling as if it were English. In Gaelic, the name is pronounced \AHSH-liñ\. The symbol \ñ\ represents the sound of ñ in Spanish words like señor or of gn in French words like montagne.

https://medievalscotland.org/problem/names/aislinn.shtml

x

We've talked about it, and I don't think it looks as pretty as Aislinn. DH and I are discussing how to pronounce, I'm leaning more toward the traditional Irish pronunciation, and he's feeling more like if no one can pronounce her name, its just going to be annoying, so we may as well say it how it looks.

I agree it does look prettier spelt Aislinn. Hope you find a solution. x

During my 1st pregnancy, i had the name Ashlynn on my top 5 -- so pretty! I would personally pronounce Aislinn like Ashlynn (or possibly Aays-lynn). I prefer names to be pronounced like they are spelled tho... bc i HATE when people say my name wrong.

Someone on my FB recently announced her new baby is named Ainsley -- which is similar -- maybe that can be an option for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->