How to pronounce Aislinn?

Ash-lin. I think most people in the UK would pronounce like this but not sure about how US people would say it. Seeing as you say it's so uncommon over there I think you are right that a lot of you guys wouldn't be familiar with the pronounciation. But they know that Sean is pronounced Shawn and Sinead is pronounced Shin-aid don't they? so you should be able to explain the pronounciation.

We have an Ashlynn who is 4 year old and the only reason we went with the Ashlynn spelling instead of Aislinn is because we wanted to avoid pronounciation confusion. This is the way to pronounce it correctly IMO if you want to honor the name's celtic origin and I actually get really upset when I hear Acelyn, Azzlyn, or Asslin....sorry it's just me and my opinion..I'd sooner modify the spelling to fit my pronounciation than vice-versa. Ashlynn doesn't look as pretty in writing as Aislinn but it is still a cute and sweet name and it fits DD to a t exactly this way. Ashlynn has a little modern twist to it and not as "dreamy" but then again so is our DD. lol.

I answered honestly...It sounds in my head Ace-Lynn....

even though I know its more commonly pronounced Ash-lean

I voted ash-lynn, would you consider spelling it Ashlinn/Ashlynn, if you are worried?. I personally love it spelt Aislinn though.

x

We've talked about it, and I don't think it looks as pretty as Aislinn. DH and I are discussing how to pronounce, I'm leaning more toward the traditional Irish pronunciation, and he's feeling more like if no one can pronounce her name, its just going to be annoying, so we may as well say it how it looks.

People have problems pronouncing all sorts of names. Over here, my name of Nicola is very popular. When I lived in the States I never met one person who knew how to pronounce it.

I have a Niamh, and people who live South of here do mispronounce it but it only happens once and they remember it after that as it's such a unique name.

Personally I think if you are spelling it the traditional way, you should say it correctly too. People will always mispronounce names, even the basic ones.

I spell both my sons names how you say them.Shay and oran.The real irish way to spell them would be shea and odhran,but couldn't bare the thoughts of them havin to constantly correct people like i've always had to!!
But aislinn is lovely,and i pronounce it ash ling,I think a lot of irish people would pronounce it with the g on the end!

As a teacher seeing alot of names I'd have to say that I wouldn't pronounce it any of those ways but

Eye-Lynn or Eye-Lean instead.

I voted the third option... but it's more like eyes-lynn for the way I'd say it, ayzlynn I figured was close to what you meant :)

I'm in the U.S. and i'd say it Ayz-lynn just by quickly looking at it

Sounds like the name of the lion ("Aslan") from "The lion, the witch and the wardrobe".

Just thought I should point that out.

I know it as Ash-lean because of the girl from Big Brother a few years ago. If I didn't know that's how it's pronounced then I'd assume it was Eye-lean :dohh:

I look after an 11 year old called Aisling, pronounced "Ash-ling" though i just call her Ash :haha:

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would let you know, my name is Aislinn. It's pronounced Ashlynn. I've come across quite a few people who can actually pronounce it without being told. Obviously it's a very unique name, and a lot of people aren't familiar with it. Once I correct them, or tell them how to pronounce my name I get endless compliments about how beautiful a name it is. I don't think the Acelinn pronunciation has the same ring to it. It isn't traditionally how the name is pronounced, and that's obvious as it doesn't really sound quite right. If you are using that pronunciation purely because you're worried about your child dealing with people saying their name wrong, don't. I would rather correct people and have a beautiful sounding name. Plus, it's more a positive really, as no one forgets my name ever because they put so much thought into how to pronounce it the first time they say it and because it's so unique :)

I think Aisling is lovely too, but the spelling Aislinn looks prettier and more feminine on paper.

I like it to be spelled and pronounced Aisling (Ash-ling). But its up to you and how you spell and pronounce it xx

I wouldn't even attempt pronouncing it! :haha:
I think I would try and make the s silent like A-lynn or Eye-lean

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back