How to quickly warm up a bottle?

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I've been making the morning bottle at night and storing it in the fridge...and try to warm it in a bottle warmer but it seemingly takes forever especially if dd wakes up crying.

There has to be an easier way. Any tips?

They say not a microwave but my mum and me always have done it, just take the teat part off to stop meltin, and pop it in for half a min, give it a good shake to get rid of hot spots xx

We always warmed it in a bowl of boiled water from the kettle. I'm not sure how fast the bottle warmer is (I think it's just a little electric kettle of sorts, right?), but it didn't take too long (5 minutes total incl time to boil the kettle). If you really need it quickly, you could always just use ready-made cartons at night, which would be room temp, so not 'warm' but not cold either. We would do this on occasion when we were traveling somewhere without easy access to a fridge or kettle during the night. It is more expensive, but I depends whether it's worth it for the convenience.

My daughter is 14 months now, so is on cow's milk not formula, so I warm her milk in the microwave which I'm comfortable with. But I don't know that I would have done it with formula, as microwaves can degrade some nutrients (more of an issue when your baby needs to get their nutrients from milk rather than food or vitamin supplements) and I didn't like the idea of opening and closing the cap a lot (making it less sterile - plus our microwave is gross anyway). That's just a personal choice though.

I use to warm the milk in a jug of hot water. But I do find the bottle warmer is quicker. I use the avent digital one.

Swirling the milk bottle inside a jug of hot water makes it get warmer quicker, rather than jus letting it sit there.

We use an electric water airpot at home, so no need to boil kettle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001XMJ7UI?pc_redir=1397776511&robot_redir=1

I had a bottle warmer but found it was quicker and easier to just heat the bottle in a jug of boiling water

I use to warm the milk in a jug of hot water. But I do find the bottle warmer is quicker. I use the avent digital one.

Swirling the milk bottle inside a jug of hot water makes it get warmer quicker, rather than jus letting it sit there.

We use an electric water airpot at home, so no need to boil kettle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001XMJ7UI?pc_redir=1397776511&robot_redir=1

I think I should get one of these! Thanks.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help!! :hugs:

I didn't think of this when Lucas was younger and only started it just before he stopped night feeds lol! If I have another FF baby I would make sure I had a bottle of cooled boiled water in the fridge, I'd make up the bottle with a smaller amount of freshly boiled water and then top it up with cold. Obviously the hot to cold water ratio changes as their formula intake changes but I found it really helpful.

It's not recommended and often frowned upon these days, but I remove the nipple and lid from the bottle first and then use my microwave to take the chill off the formula. It's not hot at all when it comes out of the microwave. The reason you're not supposed to heat the bottles in the microwave is because of the risk of hot pockets. Reason tells me that since it's not even hot, and it is shaken really well afterward, it's fine. Never been an issue with it for us.

I don't know that I would have done it with formula, as microwaves can degrade some nutrients

I have read that this is a falsity as you are not heating the formula enough to "cook" it which would be necessary to break down its nutrients.

I would put the bottle (take off the teat) in microwave for 15-20 seconds just to take off that chill then pop it in jug of hot boiling water (from kettle), will take 2 mins

would it be safe to;
make bottle up using the required amount of formula but half the water.
cool, pop in the fridge.
when baby wants bottle, take it out, pop kettle on and add the remaining half of the water (hot from kettle) and then feed?

i dont make bottles in advance so i really cant help to be honest, this just seems a good idea to me, but im not sure if its safe..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->