How to tell if ovulating without bbt

Emilylove13

Reaction score
Hi! I'm using OPK's and checking CM, but not BBT's. Is there any way (at home) to actually confirm I've ovulated? I'm not there yet, OPK is getting there though, CD10 and its not quite as dark as the control line yet. Up until yesterday the test line was barely visible though so I'm making progress. I'm excited since I'm not used to ovulating on my own but this is my first cycle after having my Mirena removed. (Tried for 19 months for my first daughter with PCOS and anovulatory cycles).

There's no way to know for sure your ovulating without bbt or involving a doctor. All opks and cm can tell you is that your gearing up to ovulation but it can't confirm its happened. Have you tried taking temps? It's really not that difficult as it seems.

I did temps when trying for #1, but the problem is I always forgot to do it so I wasn't consistent enough.

Ah ok. Well I always found that in the cycles where I ovulated after having ewcm I always dried up completely. Where as in cycles I didn't ovulate I didn't so that may be the same for you? Good luck, I hope you get your bfp very soon.

Ah ok. Well I always found that in the cycles where I ovulated after having ewcm I always dried up completely. Where as in cycles I didn't ovulate I didn't so that may be the same for you? Good luck, I hope you get your bfp very soon.

I wouldnt use this method to confirm ovulation though, as many women will get a second surge of oestrogen in the tww which results in ewcm appearing. Which is why you often see posts here from ladies asking if ewcm after O is a sign of pregnancy (its not). Doesn't mean you didn't ovulate. BBT is the ONLY way to confirm ovulation without getting a doctor involved.

Another thing to try monitoring is breast soreness. My boobs usually hurt for 2-3 days after ovulation (it's due to a progesterone surge that your body releases to prep for a pregnancy). Everyone's body is different but for some it's a sign that they have ovulated.

I wouldnt use this method to confirm ovulation though, as many women will get a second surge of oestrogen in the tww which results in ewcm appearing. Which is why you often see posts here from ladies asking if ewcm after O is a sign of pregnancy (its not). Doesn't mean you didn't ovulate. BBT is the ONLY way to confirm ovulation without getting a doctor involved.

No one suggested you could use this method to confirm ovulation. If you read my previous post I said the exact same as you did. Simply saying for my body there were signs that I had ovulated. I took my temps for 7 years while ttc number 2 so became pretty in tune with my body and what it was doing.

No one suggested you could use this method to confirm ovulation. If you read my previous post I said the exact same as you did. Simply saying for my body there were signs that I had ovulated. I took my temps for 7 years while ttc number 2 so became pretty in tune with my body and what it was doing.

Sorry, but the way that reads to me is that you dry up if you have ovulated, but you dont dry up if you didn't ovulate. Whereas I was saying many women get a surge after ovulation that produces fertile cm - meaning that even if you ovulated you could still get fertile cm again. So therefore not drying up even though you did ovulate. And it may change cycle to cycle, so you cant really use drying up as a way to determine ovulation.

Sorry, but the way that reads to me is that you dry up if you have ovulated, but you dont dry up if you didn't ovulate. Whereas I was saying many women get a surge after ovulation that produces fertile cm - meaning that even if you ovulated you could still get fertile cm again. So therefore not drying up even though you did ovulate. And it may change cycle to cycle, so you cant really use drying up as a way to determine ovulation.

The lady asked for ways to determine ovulation, I said that there was no way to say for sure you have ovulated without bbt. After saying bbt wasn't right for her situation I told her that FOR ME I dried up after ovulated. In no way did I say it confirmed ovulation or was a scientific method. Just that in 7 years ttc after every cycle I ovulated I dried up, compared to when I didn't ovulate. You can chose to read that how you like. It wasn't directed at you. You may want to learn how to speak without being rude and give your own advice rather than critising other people's advice. As far as I'm aware you are not a fertility expert and should not tell people how their cycles work.

I think we can all agree you can't definitively confirm ovulation without bbt or ultrasound.

But after temping and charting for 6 months, while it was a good way to get to know my body's ovulation signs, it's driving me batty so I'm thinking about taking a temping break next cycle. So, for ME, I will consider it LIKELY that I've O'd if:
-OPK turns positive and then fades back to negative
-2 or more days of fertile CM that goes away
-signs that I usually get in the luteal phase when progesterone is increasing like sore boobs, water retention (up to 2 lbs!) and insatiable hunger.

It's a bit of a science experiment...wish me luck.

The lady asked for ways to determine ovulation, I said that there was no way to say for sure you have ovulated without bbt. After saying bbt wasn't right for her situation I told her that FOR ME I dried up after ovulated. In no way did I say it confirmed ovulation or was a scientific method. Just that in 7 years ttc after every cycle I ovulated I dried up, compared to when I didn't ovulate. You can chose to read that how you like. It wasn't directed at you. You may want to learn how to speak without being rude and give your own advice rather than critising other people's advice. As far as I'm aware you are not a fertility expert and should not tell people how their cycles work.

I did say sorry, and just explained how your post sounded. No need to be rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->