How to tell work?

Johnsa37

Reaction score
I am super nervous about having to tell my boss that I am pregnant, which I plan to do at the end of next week (12 weeks). She has children herself and won't be upset or anything, but I am just dreading having the discussion. I feel like it is such a personal family thing and I don't know how to bring it up. Anyone have ideas? I don't know if it is just me, but I feel like it is really awkward to tell people that you are pregnant!!!! :wacko:

I waited until I completed a really complicated project that nobody else would take on. I basically finished it Monday, had a really good evaluation Tuesday, and then Thursday morning I was like heeeeey btw I'm 14 weeks pregnant don't freak out I only have to miss one month of work (I'm a teacher). So basically my advice is time it around doing something well if you can and go on with a plan. :)

I just walked into work and told them, I didn't really have any negative feeling towards telling them, but I'm leaving and awaiting a new start date for my new job so that's probably why.

My new job however don't know... That's the one I'm dreading. No idea how I'm going to drop that bombshell :S good luck lovely I'm sure it'll go well for you :) xxx

Do you typically have one on one sessions with her? I would just make an appointment with her to pop in and have a chat. I agree though, I think it's super awkward as well. I'm also dreading it, mostly because my work is project based, so I don't have permanent job, just work contract to contract. So we are literally in the middle of stressing about procuring the funding for my next project (to start in the spring). And then like a month later, I've got to tell her I'm going on maternity before it starts and we have to find someway to delay it! I feel so deceptive, but I can't risk not making sure the work is in place because if anything happens, then I won't have a job after this year or I won't have a job to come back to after maternity. But it's like, oh, by the way, about all that work I just made you do, never mind about that....because I'm having a baby! It seems really awkward.

I guess it depends on the kind of relationship you have with your boss. My boss is super supportive and I've worked for him a long time, so I just strolled into his office and told him I had bad news. ;)

As a manager myself, I've had a few of these conversations with employees. Either schedule a meeting with her or wait for your next 1x1 session (if it's near), and be ready to discuss next steps--wrapping up projects/addressing workloads/any needed accommodations--if necessary.

Thanks ladies. I have a good relationship with my boss, but it's just hard to transition from technical work conversations during our bi-weekly 1:1 meetings into my (very) personal life, especially when this personal situation means that I will be gone for 12 weeks and may require accommodations until then and possibly after. I think I will just blurt it out at the end of our 1:1 next week...:wacko:

Yea - I was the same way. I'm kind of private with my personal life and it felt like a strange thing to say. Eventually I just blurted it out. I had planned to tell my boss this one day and was in the process of chickening out when I found myself one on one with him. I figured that.. well.. that was as good a time as any so I just said "So {boss}.. I'm pregnant", just to get it over with. It never ends up being a big deal but it is an awkward conversation.

Good luck!

GL, Johnsa37!!

I'm also having a little bit of a freak out about my company’s maternity leave policy (or lack thereof). Pretty much my only option is to go on short term disability (60% of normal pay), but I can’t do that until I’ve worked for the company for a year which I will have done about three weeks after my due date. So really my options are to take three weeks of unpaid medical leave followed by short term disability. I’m up for performance/salary review in Sept, and I think I’m just going to ask for three weeks of paid maternity leave instead of asking for a raise.

At this point my plan is to take six weeks totally off (3 unpaid and 3 on short term disability), and then ideally transition back into work over another 6 weeks, working remotely and gradually adding office time back in. Most of the people I work with are men, and the few women in the company are all post-menopausal, so I think I'm probably the first pregnant employee the company has ever had. I'm hoping that means they'll maybe amend their policy or be flexible with me, because they certainly preach 'family values'...

I had to tell my boss at 3w4d bc my morning sickness was so bad. I basically just blurted it out. But for me it as a bot I don't want you to think I'm hiding out in the bathroom if I'm gone for 20 minutes.

Gemini19156, I feel for you! I'm not going to have any maternity leave with because my due date is 2 months before my 1 yr anniversary. I can't believe in 2017 there's not better maternity care in this country. I'm going to take off 6 weeks with no pay...��

I just knocked on my manager's door and literally said "Hi Mel, I just wanted to let you know that I am pregnant, the baby is due at the end of June" and she said "Ok thanks for letting me know" and then I walked away. It was a little awkward because it was my first day back at work from my previous mat leave, but oh well.

I was actually really excited to tell my boss. She has 6 kids so she was very understanding & has been supportive the whole time (she was one of the first people I told around 5 weeks, I'm about 12ish now). I just went in, closed the door & said it! Very laid back company here but I think I'd have been more nervous if my boss was someone without kids :). Best of luck to you!

Oh I so agree with the op! I also think it's a really awkward conversation. I am only 6 weeks but I am dreaaadin telling my boss. Last time I did pretty much just blurt it out and I think that's the way forward. No real advice but just to say I do find it totally uncomfortable too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->