HSG...how bad is it?!?!?!?

inpghttc

Reaction score
Hello ladies...I just started seeing an RE and after bloodwork last cycle along with a endometrial biopsy...my results came back low progesterone. I was bummed but kinda expected it because I have been spotting 4 days before af since I came off the pill in June. He put me on 50 mg of clomid and I just took my first dose today (CD5). I'm hoping it gives my levels the boost that it needs! I am scheduled for an HSG this Friday to make sure my tubes are clear. I am soooo scared because the biopsy that I had last week was horrible!! It really hurt for me and it was only a few seconds. I hear that HSG's can last for 15-20 minutes!!! I was wondering if any of you ladies can tell me how your experience was... If it was horrible, tell me, I can handle it! I plan on taking 800 mg of Motrin an hour before to hopefully help and will just keep telling myself that it may increase my fertility for 3 months afterwards during the procedure!

It was uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say horrible. I've had worse done.

I was able to drive myself there and back. Motrin is a good idea, I was crampy, like a strong period. And wear a panty liner, b/c the dye will leak out. I literally got off of the table, got dressed, and drove myself home.

Don't be too afraid.

Mine was painful but not unbearable just some cramping during the process and mild AF like cramping all evening after , I drove myself there and home. The Motrin should help ease the cramping ,Good luck!.

It took me longer to get undressed & put the gown on that it did to do the procedure. It was uncomfy and I did say ow several times but it was much less unpleasent than other medical procedures I've had and only lasted for a couple of minutes. I took some painkillers before & had a little bit of cramping afterwards but not much & we went out for dinner that night.

I agree with the other ladies. It wasn't bad. I even went to lunch with my DH after it was done. Drove myself home and went to lunch. Take meds before and wear a pantyliner after.

Hello ladies...I just started seeing an RE and after bloodwork last cycle along with a endometrial biopsy...my results came back low progesterone. I was bummed but kinda expected it because I have been spotting 4 days before af since I came off the pill in June. He put me on 50 mg of clomid and I just took my first dose today (CD5). I'm hoping it gives my levels the boost that it needs! I am scheduled for an HSG this Friday to make sure my tubes are clear. I am soooo scared because the biopsy that I had last week was horrible!! It really hurt for me and it was only a few seconds. I hear that HSG's can last for 15-20 minutes!!! I was wondering if any of you ladies can tell me how your experience was... If it was horrible, tell me, I can handle it! I plan on taking 800 mg of Motrin an hour before to hopefully help and will just keep telling myself that it may increase my fertility for 3 months afterwards during the procedure!
I must be in the minority. I had it done twice - first time in late October 2009 and again October 18, 2011. They both hurt like hell for about a minute or two and i ached for days afterwards. I think it makes you ovulate even stronger because both times I've been pregnant the following month. Now with that said - although it hurt - I asked for the 2nd one. It's better to know what you are working with than to not know and start taking pills and injections w/o checking everything is in working order. To get a BFP less than 3 weeks later makes every ounce of the pain worth it.

Wow Davesgirl!!! So, you got preggo the same month as your HSG?? I'm hoping that being on my first round of clomid and then having this test, that I get lucky this month as well!!

I honestly did not feel a thing. I had the one with levovist. don't know if that makes a difference.

Yes. I've been pregnant every November since 2009. *big sigh*...... 1st HSG was 10/30/09 - BFP 11/22/09, ended in m/c 1/5/10. BFP#2 11/16/10 w/twins (no HSG), ended in m/c 12/29/10. 2 rounds of Clomid Aug & Sept 2011. I refused to do the last round if my Dr wouldn't agree to another HSG -she agreed, so I did my 3rd and final round of Clomid and had the 2nd HSG the day after the last dose on 10/18/2011 - BFP #3 11/8/11!! Totally shocked because I had a super duper meltdown 24 hrs before thinking my period started on the 7th and I went through all of that for nothing. I'm very nervous but I'm praying for the best outcome possible. I wish you all BFP and healthy pregnancies!

Now I am wondering my my RE uses Levovist...keep hearing it is better!

Hi inpghttc,
I just posted how mine went in another thread. It was uncomfortable but the whole thing (from speculum in to speculum out) was about 5 minutes. The sharp pain lasted maybe 15 seconds tops. I took 600 mg ibuprofen beforehand which I'm sure helped as I had absolutely no cramping afterwards (in fact I wish I had taken less because it made me groggy) 800 seems like a lot - do you take Motrin for menstrual cramps at all? If so I'd take the same amount as you are used to (which for me would have been 400)

I didn't have any leaking of the dye out after getting dressed, but they did suggest a pantyliner in case. I forgot to bring anything with me so they gave me a pad.

My tubes were open so YMMV, I hear if your tubes are blocked it can be more painful and the test can also take longer. (presumably to see if the tubes are really blocked or just spasming)

:dust: to both of us. They said it will improve pg chances for up to 3 months afterwards as minor blockages may have been cleared by pushing the dye through.

Really try to relax. I got myself so worried and when it was done I'm like are we really done? That was it? I was expecting so much worse.

Update...I had the test this morning and to my suprise, it was a hysterosonogram not an HSG! It was barely painful at all....just mild cramps. The tech said that it all looked good. I'm happy about that but now after doing some online research, it looks like the test I had doesn't tell them much about my tubes...it does show uterine abnormalities and things like fibroids and polyps. They said that the saline spilled out so my tubes are probably ok. I am a little disappointed that it wasn't an HSG because of the ability to see the tubes better and the increased fertility for a few months after. I assume the sonogram test doesn't have the same effect....oh well....anyone else have this one done and know more than I do?

honey it is the same thing internally just how they picture it that varies either by sonogram or xray - either way they have pumped something through your tubes be it saline or levovist etc which should show there is tubal patency or clear or flush any debris to make them clear or worse case scenario show a blockage that needs further treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->