Hubby's been suspended....... UPDATED Appeal on Friday! PMA needed!

going_crazy

Still learning.....!
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here, just looking for some PMA and advice if poss... Please bear with me as the post might be a bit of a rant! :wacko:

My DH is a bus driver and has worked for the company for 10 years, has got a clean record until yesterday..... Basically he misjudged overtaking a parked car, and hit it, but caused the car to be a write off and also caused approx £20,000 damage to the bus :dohh: . He wasn't speeding (there is proof) and had full control of the bus, he literally misjudged it. He has an independant witness that confirms this. No-one was injured at all.
He has had a drugs/alcohol test as well as a medical by the company doc and has passed with flying colours. The only thing is, he has now been suspended for a week until his disciplinary next Thurs.

My question is this - They have told him that dismissal is possible, but does anyone feel this is worth a dismissal?? He has a 10year clean record and has had 5 'undercover' driving assessments which have all been outstanding, his attendance is 100% and time-keeping is also 100%.

I am panicking so much (my hormones are NOT helping!) as I am a 'full-time Mum' and we have 3 DD's, Peanut is due in October, 3 cats and 1 dog, and would struggle on benefits (plus, I don't WANT to go onto benefits):cry:

Pleeeeeaaaase can someone give me some PMA??????

Thanks if you managed to read my ramble!! :flower:

Sarah x

Update: Appeal hearing is set for Friday at midday..... to say I'm scared is putting it very lightly! :shock:

My close friend and my BIL and FIL are all bus drivers, so i know a smidge of stuff about this kind of thing.

I personally very much doubt they will sack him, i bet they are more pissed of about the size of the bill!

My close friend who is a bus driver has criminal record ranging from shooting a man with a home made weapon, assault with weapon, burgalry to which he actually served 6 months at her Majestys pleasure and he is employed by a company.

He has worked for Stagecoach as well, and while he was locked up they kept his job open, so tbh i think they will not sack him and best thing for him to do is be very apologetic and if they sack i will eat my hat.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

V xxxx

I doubt they would sack him. I am pretty sure that the bus driver that hit and killed a man up here still has his license and is employed!

And the way some of them drive I am surprised they are even allowed licences let alone a job driving buses.

My close friend who is a bus driver has criminal record ranging from shooting a man with a home made weapon, assault with weapon, burgalry to which he actually served 6 months at her Majestys pleasure and he is employed by a company called Kirby Lonsdale buses.

Jeeez, tbh, I wouldn't want to knowingly be on a late bus on my own with someone with that kind of record. I'm trying not to be judgemental here. I'm so sorry, but that has shocked me.

OP,
My motto is always to try not to worry about something that hasn't happened yet as worrying solves nothing. In practise that motto rarely actually works, but you can try! :hugs:

It sounds like it would be very unfair of them to sack him. He has not been shown to have been driving carelessly or dangerously so he may have a case if they dismiss him. Accidents happen sadly, and that's what insurance is for.

Good luck to you both.

It probably could be a sackable offence to an employee who was in and out of trouble with the company lateness, attitude, accidents bad assessments etc .. but your OH sounds like he is a great employee who has made one mistake, i am sure they are just going through the formalities and all will be fine :)

I am sure they wont sack him hun. Let us know how it goes
xx

What does his contract say about reasons someone can be sacked. Does he belong to a union

What does his contract say about reasons someone can be sacked. Does he belong to a union

His contract says if anything goes to a disciplinary, then there will always be a possibility of a summary dismissal - especially if it is 'gross misconduct'
His union will meet him 1hour before the disciplinary to go through things with him and give him some support xxx

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will update here on Thurs as soon as I know. Just trying to stay positive for now xxx

My OH used to be a bus driver and he had 3 accidents while he was there. None were his fault and were all proven not to be his fault.

The first a car came flying round a corner and on a really tight road and so the car didnt hit him he swerved and ended up hitting a wall. The second accident a bus from a different company hit him in the bus station and the third he was going down a hill when we had all the snow and the back end of the bus slid out and hit a parked car.

If your OH wasnt speeding and has had drugs/drinks test and has 100% attendance and is really good with his time keeping then i doubt they will sack him :hugs:

I agree with everyone else, they'd have to be really nasty to sack him when it was his first mistake and not the result of speeding or anything.

But I can understand why you are so worried, I'd be the same. I hope it all goes well for him and for you all. :hugs:

my oh is a bus driver and has been for aroiund 10 years. He said that as he has a clean license its unlikely that he would be dismissed. In his experince he would probably get a warning and if you have a driving school like we do hear then he may have to spend a day there. If he does get dismissed then he must appeal against this as sometimes managers like to make example of staff. My oh says that almost all drivers have done this at some point. Failing that there is bound to be another bus company near by that would take him. That whats drivers do hear when they are sacked. with 10 years experince then this would not go agaginst him.

My Dad is a lorry driver, he used to work for Warburtons, he reversed into a wall and got the sacked, I couldn't believe it when he told me.

Hope it all goes well hun, would be very harsh to sack him, surely thats what insurance is for - accidents?!

Hope it goes ok... Surely the bus company are insured against this type of thing happening?

They may send him for a driving and medical assesment and maybe an eye test before they allow him to drive again - maybe this is why they have suspended him until they decide.

Hope it goes ok... Surely the bus company are insured against this type of thing happening?

They may send him for a driving and medical assesment and maybe an eye test before they allow him to drive again - maybe this is why they have suspended him until they decide.

Thank you for your reply.... Yeah, they have insurance, but they still go through the 'procedures' - Hubby has had medical and eye test and passed with flying colours - am hoping they won't sack him and let him go on a refresher course, but they have really emphasised that dismissal is possible, so just very worried :cry: We find out 10am Thurs - the wait is agonising! :dohh:

Thanks again ladies xxxxx

When OH had his accidents even though they wernt his fault he had to go on like a day driving school so i hope thats what your OH has to do. I hope it doesnt come to this but if they did try and sack him id appeal against it hun because thats not fair at all

Hi Ladies :flower:

Thank you all for your responses, just a quick update, unfortunately My husband was dismissed due to gross misconduct, so I'm now so lost :cry: :cry:

thats terrible - can he appeal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->