Hungry baby milk not making a difference?

clarsair

Reaction score
LO will be 5 months old next week and has been drinking 8oz bottles in about 5 minutes, 5 times a day, and will increasingly squeal for more, so I started her on HB milk yesterday on the HV's recommendation. But, it seems to be making no difference! The HV told me to add an extra ounce of water to the feeds for the first couple of days to get her used to it, so is that why she's still taking as much? Or does HB milk not always do the trick? Or is she really ready for solids?? I don't want to start weaning just yet.

The only difference i noticed with kacey was she was slightly more content after a feed. Cant rememeber if it took awhile. It could be the extra water, i never did that with kacey. You dont need to wean yet. just give the milk more time to work without the extra water

See now i would say the opposite of littleblonde....
I would say at 5 months old (and by the sound of her taking 8oz at every feed) t start weaning her.
I would give her a few spoonfuls of b/fast-porridge or weetabix and then few spoonfuls of lunch-maybe a rusk soaked in milk-either breast of formula and then something for dinner, but also keep giving her bottles too.Like one first thing when she wakes, give her one about 11am and then use some of the milk to soak a rusk and lunch at 11.30am bottle at 2.30pm dinner at 5-5.30pm and bottle at 7pm? My friend little girl is 9 months old and she takes three 8oz bottles as well as having 3 meals a day...she was weaned from 4 months. I as a baby was weaned at 3 months as just milk wasnt satisfying me....
You as her mum will only know whats best.....my health visitor told me not to put my 7 week old daughter onto hungier baby formula....but she seems so much happier and like her tummy is more full,rather than guzzling 6oz every 4 hours and then being sick beacuse she has taken too much liquid.So i now use hungry baby formula every other feed,and she takes 5oz and isnt sick at all, as she is taking the right amount of liquid now that is more filling than a thinner liquid and 6oz of it.
Every baby is different...i can see my daughter at 3 or 4 months not just wanting milk....so i will deffently start weaning her and getting her use to "texture" if the milk isnt enough for her...even if it is only 2 teaspoons at a time.

Mine did the same at almost 5 months, it was a massive growth spurt, he was going through 70+ oz day. It's all with the 4 month growth spurt. I just kept giving him more & more milk (we don't have 'hungry baby' milk in North America) and eventually he calmed down and went back down to normal, then started BLW at 6.5 months.

Good luck! Just keep on with the milk if you do not want to wean yet!! Unless she is getting ill from it (some babies consume lots of milk to supress gas pains), then it's not too much. It's just a huge growth period.

Thanks very much ladies. I'm using the hungry milk at full strength now, still no change in her feeding though. I think i'm going to continue with this just now and see what happens in a couple of weeks as I reckon she's also teething as well as having a growth spurt as mentioned above, so this could be adding to the whining and unsettled behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->