Hungry baby

Pessimistic

Reaction score
My LO takes 6oz every 2 hours, sometimes more, my hv has advised me to give literally 1 small spoon of baby porridge in the morning to help her stay full as she whinges a lot after feeds. I bought some cow&gate stuff but it is 4+ months. Is this safe? She had a really small bit last night and she seemed to like it, I'm not sure I have been given the right advice though. Just want to see what everyone on here thinks first. LO is 3 months. - Also I won't put her on hungry baby milk as she doesn't take it well.

No, I think she's way too young for solids. How long has she been wanting 6oz every 2 hours? Could it be a growth spurt?

My LO takes 9oz every 4 hours and has done since 3m.

I agree, I think she's way too young. 3mo is a huge growth spurt...how long has this been going on? Does she spit up much?

If you are thinking of giving your LO solids early (before 6 months), please read these links:
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
and
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

A few interesting quotes:
"Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date."

"Most babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. "

Introducing solids early has risks - mainly increased risk of allergies and hayfever, and some research suggests it might increase the risk of obesity later in life. Early solids can also cause lots of problems like gas, tummy pain and constipation.

Thanks for the answers... Although I think the last post was a bit O.T.T as I literally gave a teeny tiny spoonful, that applies to people who are feeding their LO big amounts at this age which I am not. Also this was advised by my hv this is why I did this.
I am going to try upping the feed, she doesn't spit up now and been on 6oz for a long time.

Thanks for the answers... Although I think the last post was a bit O.T.T as I literally gave a teeny tiny spoonful, that applies to people who are feeding their LO big amounts at this age which I am not.

A small amount could still be problematic, as babies that young are more likely to have bad reactions to foods, in which case the quantity given is likely to be irrelevant.

Well she has had no problem but not giving her anymore. Also why would my hv advise this? I am actually quite upset now as you think you can trust these people, clearly this is the wrong information!

Well she has had no problem but not giving her anymore. Also why would my hv advise this? I am actually quite upset now as you think you can trust these people, clearly this is the wrong information!

My HV has been advsing me to give baby rice since my LO was 3 months.

About 6 years ago the guidelines were 4 months, and before that many people introduced solids earlier. There has been new research but unfortunately a lot of HVs still give outdated advice.

I think it is because lots of babies weaned early grow up with no problems, so they think the new guidelines are wrong, or don't apply. New research shows it is best to wait till 6 months.

It is bad because you think you can trust your HV!

We don't have HV here but even our pediatricians sometimes sadly aren't up to date on current research and recommendations. I think the best thing as parents is to find someone we can trust but even though we really trust our pedi I never just take their word for it, I do my own research before deciding what I feel is best for the boys...I really think all parents should.

But like they said, even a small amount can be harmful if their body isn't ready. Another great article you can look at is this

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

It lists some reasons and why you should hold, explaining more, hopefully that helps in your decision.

Thanks girls! Def waiting till 6 months if possible. Also going with my instincts as I knew when she told me I should wait but still did it as thought could trust the hv. They need to be kept up to date it is so important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->