• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunting

dizzyisacow

wife,mother & myself
Reaction score
what are you views on hunting?

where i live its a big thing, rabbits, birds e.t.c and people take their children sometimes.
they do it for a sport.

personally it disgusts me. :nope:

It disgusts me too. All of it. Every kind of blood sports. We have a hunting ban here but it's not as effective as it should be and the Tories are trying to get it repealed because the MPs are mostly animal-torture-loving toffs.

ETA: Should've been more explicit, it's a fox-hunting ban, not all hunting.

It totally disgust me aswell.
I don't understand how these people get enjoyment out of chasing and killing animals!

I think it depends on the circumstances. Some animals and birds are pests and need their population to be controlled. As long as the intention is to despatch them quickly I see no problem in them enjoying and teaching children (responsibly) about it. I also think it's acceptable if it's being done for food.

I'm not a supporter of hunting 'just for fun', or of the methods that involve slow,painful deaths, such as hunting with dogs.

Hunting is common here in Canada. People eat the moose, elk, deer, etc. that they kill. The Canadian Inuit use every part of the seal for their nutrition, home, etc. I personally don't understand how non-vegans can be outraged over hunting yet animals slaughtered for meat or kept in tiny cages their entire lives for milk, eggs, etc. is acceptable. One gun shot or harpoon is a lot faster and less painful than what most farming animals go through in their lives.

Sorry.

I don't believe in killing for fun - whether it be a fox or a fruit fly. But many hunters do so to provide nutrition for their families (at least in this country).

I don't really know the in's and outs of all forms of hunting

But I hate fox hunting. The type where a 'hunt' of horses and dogs go and chase a fox and have it killed. I don't like the fact they let the dogs rip it to pieces if they catch it and how they call it a 'sport'. It disgusts me and I cannot understand why someone would want to see an animal being ripped to shreads. Yes some farmers may have a problem with foxes killing livestock. But they are much more humane ways of dealing with it. If they have to kill it it should be quick. Not be scared out of it's wits while a pack of dogs hunt it down :growlmad:
x

i think fox hunting etc (i.e. bloodsports) is completely different from someone hunting and eating the animal they kill. if its just for "fun" it's sick imo.

I don't really know the in's and outs of all forms of hunting

But I hate fox hunting. The type where a 'hunt' of horses and dogs go and chase a fox and have it killed. I don't like the fact they let the dogs rip it to pieces if they catch it and how they call it a 'sport'. It disgusts me and I cannot understand why someone would want to see an animal being ripped to shreads. Yes some farmers may have a problem with foxes killing livestock. But they are much more humane ways of dealing with it. If they have to kill it it should be quick. Not be scared out of it's wits while a pack of dogs hunt it down :growlmad:
x

couldnt have put it better myself! :thumbup:

i think fox hunting etc (i.e. bloodsports) is completely different from someone hunting and eating the animal they kill. if its just for "fun" it's sick imo.

Yes definitely. Though as a veggie I'd engage in neither. :D

Bull fights are possibly the worst. :(

Hunting is common here in Canada. People eat the moose, elk, deer, etc. that they kill. The Canadian Inuit use every part of the seal for their nutrition, home, etc. I personally don't understand how non-vegans can be outraged over hunting yet animals slaughtered for meat or kept in tiny cages their entire lives for milk, eggs, etc. is acceptable. One gun shot or harpoon is a lot faster and less painful than what most farming animals go through in their lives.

Sorry.

I don't believe in killing for fun - whether it be a fox or a fruit fly. But many hunters do so to provide nutrition for their families (at least in this country).

But there are humane ways of going about it. Those meat/milk/egg consumers that care can source these foods free range and from well-managed local farms. Or at least they can here if they choose to be ethical about their animal produce.

I can't speak for meat eaters but if I was one I don't think I'd be outraged about hunting as you describe, as a source of food. Except whaling which imo is unforgiveable.

Sorry.

But there are humane ways of going about it. Those meat/milk/egg consumers that care can source these foods free range and from well-managed local farms. Or at least they can here if they choose to be ethical about their animal produce.

I can't speak for meat eaters but if I was one I don't think I'd be outraged about hunting as you describe, as a source of food. Except whaling which imo is unforgiveable.

There are more ethical ways to produce however I think the majority of anti-hunters do not discriminate. There are also major problems with regulations and even free range chickens, etc. are still transported in the same (often inhumane) methods.

I think when hunters, for food, kill their own food, they are far more ethical in terms of efficient & quick death. I think most people would be understanding of this BUT there is a lot of outrage against the Inuit people in Canada (from the rest of the world) due to their hunting of seals, etc. Perhaps seals are cute? It's still their lifeblood.

Hunting purely for sport is not as common here. I understand most girls here are from the UK and so the hunting a lot of you speak of is in regards to fox hunting. I do think killing for fun and not for food is unethical and just plain cruel. There is no need for it.

I would much rather eat the meat of wild game that lived a free life in the wild and never saw the inside of a feedlot or slaughterhouse. That is far more ethical from an ecological and humane point of view. So that kind of hunting gets the :thumbup: from me.
I do not support hunting for target practise or trophies, however. Excuse my language, but that is all kinds of f**ked up. Using a living creature as a target? Whether it's considered a "pest" animal or not, that is reprehensible.

I was talking about hunting for fun eg. fox hunting and things along those lines.

If I'm honest I don't have an opinion on it much. I don't think we should be cruel to animals but I do think we eat animals and I think wanting our meat produced in a manner which makes us forget it's meat seems very naive and maybe hypocritical? I know people who will eat meat "as long as it doesn't LOOK like an animal" :dohh:

In terms of hunting for fun, I've never seen how it's done or the cruelty involved. I know foxes are a problem in the countryside for many farmers but I suppose they can be killed in more humane ways. I suppose it currently involves a fox running for its life for AGES before being caught by a bunch of trained dogs? Not nice really...

I've never had issues killing rodents in my home. I wouldn't ride around for hours on a horse and get some trained dogs to hunt them down but I wouldn't mind getting some mean cats if they return. And I think cats kill animals in a lot crueler way than humans do.

Also, in regards to fur. I think if you're in siberia, or greenland, or somewhere very cold, even parts of Russia or scandinavia I don't have a problem with people wearing fur. My conscience isn't stirred by fur but my brain tells me it must be wrong to breed small animals to kill them for human vanity. I've never known what I think of second hand fur though... is it still encouraging the trend or not because there's such high quality fake fur around which is nice that maybe it's not? What about leather? I have a leather jacket and leather shoes. :shrug:

I don't know.

Also in terms of food, there're a romantic part of my brain that would like to think we would still have to go and hunt and fish for our meat rather than buying it in a supermarket. I think that must have been a very amazing part of human culture when it was the case. But I don't think that's really going to happen any time soon in East London. :haha:

As a sport for pure entertainment i find it repulsive and animal cruelty.

As a sport, I hate the idea of it. The main hunting done here is pests - possums etc (sorry Aussies, I know you love them!), ducks and deer. I'm not so much against it if the hunter can guarantee an immediate kill with the first shot, but that is never guaranteed! I just hate the thought of animal being shot in the leg and then getting away and dying slowly and painfully.
On a side note, I'm not sure of statistics, but there are a huge amount of hunting accidents here, where a hunter will shoot his mate thinking the movement in the bush is a deer or something. Just last week a young woman was shot by a hunter as she brushed her teeth at a campsite. Another reason for hunting to be banned..

For sport it's disgusting. I have no idea how anyone can find fun in killing another living thing. Animals deserve more respect. I makes my blood boil.

Completely against killing animals for fun or 'sport'. In the rare occasions culling a wild animal maybe necessary it should be done by licensed game keepers who take no pleasure form it and are able to kill the animal with a clean wound to cause as little suffering as possible.

As a veggie I must say I have beef with hunting (of any form) or culling when animals are 'pests'. Invariably the animal is a pest because it interferes with livestock farming, or is to perceived to. So things like shooting foxes or badger culls are also wrong IMO, even if done humanely as possible

I am very very against seal hunting here in Canada. It's disgusting and the people who do it must not be normal because it is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. I don't agree with hunting for sport def, but also for eating, but I think it is better than eating meat in the stores. Those animals suffered their whole lives. But, personally I don't agree with killing any animals at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->