Hurricane Evacuations..

Cheyanne

Reaction score
We're just going over our evacuation plans for when the next big one hits. The thing is, I'm not sure I'd leave. We left for Rita, which occurred just two or three weeks after Katrina. East and Central Texas was in a state of total chaos. A drive that should have taken 45 minutes took 19 hours! It was the worst case of gridlock ever. We were trapped in a sea of vehicles. Because we were on pavement..temperatures were upward of 105. No one could exit, cars ran out of gas, overheated, broke down. Hundreds of people had heat exhuastion. We were all forced to pee in cups, bottles, etc. Then, at the last minute it took an easterly turn and made landfall 60 miles east of my house. Houston hasn't had a direct hit since "Alicia" in 1983 and we stayed for that catergory 3. It was scary, but we made it. Authorities say they have new plans that will make evacuations smooth and run without incindence. SHITE! Even my neighbors who are Katrina survivors said they wouldn't leave. I'm afraid SO many of us will stay because of our past torture and who knows what the outcome will be?

I cant imagine anything like that happening round here .. must be sooo scary. I have been in an earth quake when i was in Greece once when i was 13 but thats about it. We have bad weather and very strong winds but nothing that would need evacuation. I know other parts of the country get it worse than here but i cant begin to imagine how awful it must be.

Scarey stuff ... I can't imagine living like that but when I say that I guess its something you are use to.

Yeah, it's just part of life here. The fall and spring seasons are most horrible..tornados! My senior year of high school 1/4 of our town was destroyed by twin twisters! Only one death....heart attack. The saying goes.."If you don't like the weather in Texas, hang around for a few minutes, it'll change!" The worst thing here is the humidity. It's that wet sticky kind of heat.

I have always wanted to go on a storm chaser tour, if thats the right phrase to use.

Tornados fasinate me, of course i hate the damage they cause, i wouldnt wish that on anyone, but just the sheer power of them i find intreging (sp?)

I think i will have to put that on my list of things to do before i die, go chase a tornado

x

The truth is, most of Texans never actually SEE one. I've seen a small one, but so many hit at night while people are sleeping. They never see it coming. I'd love to go storm chasing too! One guy stayed in his car for a hurricane, just to experience all of it's glory..dumb ass. LOL He captured some great photos though. Another saying here..."It's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing." If you get hit by a volvo, was it worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->