Hyperemesis Gravidarum / Extreme sickness incredibly early on - experiences/support?

Ella86

Reaction score
Hi :flower:

Looking for some support. I'm currently 18 dpo, or 4 weeks 3 days, and began episodes of intense nausea, nightly, from 7 dpo on. 12 dpo was my first positive (although it was so light I didn't believe it until the test the following day). I have been horrendously sick since the night of 12 dpo on, day and night. I had to start Diclectin straight away. I'm down to 103 lbs so I can't afford to lose much more weight really. The Diclectin is sometimes taking the edge off but I'm still trying to get in a groove with it and allow it time to work properly. Very touch and go right now, incredibly unpredictable. I had a feeling I would be sick as I've always been super sensitive to hormones and a sensitive person in general, but this is extreme. I'm talking body shaking, twitching, cold sweats, rocking back and forth in torture not coherent sort of sick. I don't want to need medication, but I feel like I have no other option. OB also said that Gravol is fine to take in addition. I am so worried that this will continue to get WORSE (if that is possible) as my levels increase and get very high. My HCG as of Tuesday was 458 at 4 weeks 1 day. That is so low compared to how high it will be when it peaks in coming weeks...

I'd just like to hear your thoughts - any of you who have had similar experiences. I don't think I can mentally handle hearing horror stories right now... I don't think I have it in me to handle this this entire pregnancy (if it sticks, which I obviously am praying it will). So anyone who is currently dealing but staying positive or anyone who has dealt with this in the past...

Did any of you take Diclectin AND Gravol? Is it really ok to take Gravol..?
Did any of you have this but it DIDN'T last the entire first trimester?
What was your dosing schedule with Diclectin? I had been trying to take as little as possible and it's JUST not possible to do it that way. I'm currently trying four per day, pretty evenly spaced with the last one at bedtime.
Do you think I will start to see a pattern of times when I'm dying and times when I can function a bit?
How long did it take for you to REALLY benefit from taking Diclectin?
If you suffered this badly, did it get WORSE as your levels increased? Is that even possible?

Basically just any info and support you can offer me. I would so appreciate it. So far today I am managing and am able to write this so I am very very pleased with that. It gives me hope that I will be able to manage this with this medication over time. It's still so early since beginning it... I think this is my 5th day on it.

Anyways, many thanks! Hope you are all doing pretty well in your first tri!

Wow, so sorry you are dealing with this!!!
No experience really, just offering support :)

I have heard about acupuncture helping, maybe acupressure also.

I always found the peppermint & lemon (citrus) scents to help my morning sickness (so mild compared to what you are describing, poor thing!)

I always ran those in our diffuser, and I got soap / shampoo with that scent...

Maybe some of those things will help, in addition to your medicine?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering too! My morning sickness started at 6 weeks and has been bad since the get go. I'll be 11 weeks on Saturday and unfortunately I am still getting sick numerous times a day. Some times I am literally on my knees praying for comfort and strength, and I'm not usually that type! It's just so draining.

Your case is definitely a little worse than mine as I could not bring myself to take the Diclegis I was prescribed. So I am not medicated for it at all. But all the "classic tricks" like crackers, lemon water, eating frequent small meals etc. have done nothing to help me. A few things that have helped me to COPE are: remembering to take deep breaths, including while I am getting sick; keeping an ultrasound image nearby to look at when I'm on my last leg and need reassurance; reading and rereading the research about how morning sickness is correlated with fetal health and intelligence, even if medication is taken for it; and not moving at all - my husband has really stepped up his game :)

I know it's not much but I hope this can help somehow. The chills and shaking do sound particularly concerning, and maybe it would be good to have your blood tested for an infection? A final word of encouragement - I would not worry about the sickness getting worse as your levels get higher. Mine has stayed the same intensity so far. Feel better and good luck!

Thank you so much for the replies, I appreciate it so much.

Smileyfaces - Thank you :flower: <3

Wishforbaby - Thanks for the suggestions. What diffuser do you use? All I have are the types where you light the tea light underneath and it heats up the oil. I currently have lavender and peppermint and have been dabbing it in my hair but not using a diffuser. This is a really good thought. I am also going to pick up lemon.

HappyWife - I'm sorry to hear you're so sick too :( I will have my first ultrasound in a couple weeks and I am going to do exactly that - use the pic for reassurance. Thanks for that suggestion (and all the others too). Your thoughts really perked me up... Big thanks. The shaking thing is just what my body does when it freaks out completely... It happens with severe pain too. I'm not worried about it only because I know it's just how I am. My body overreacts to everything it seems... It never handles anything normally! Definitely going to start reading up on sickness and fetal health/intelligence :haha:

Soooooooo........ Yesterday I survived. It was the first day I was not absolutely on another planet in misery, no episodes of that.... I felt horrible, let's be honest, but I can MANAGE how I felt yesterday. It was day two of not skimping with my doses. This is SO reassuring to me.

What it makes me think though, is that I don't need as much of the Diclectin. I don't WANT to take it... I think what I will do tho is keep taking this exact amount until I can safely say I can manage every day for a little while, then try decreasing again. I'm hoping that maybe it was only so severe for the first bit because my body was freaking the heck out over the brand new hormone in my system. ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->