hyperemesis sufferers unite!

NIfirsttimer

Proud mum, new wife & WTT
Reaction score
it seems that there are loads of hyperemesis sufferers on board at the minute, spread accross the tri sections, so i thought we could all have a common thread to keep in touch & support each other - even text buddies if anyone wants to - for the days when you cant get out of bed

for those of you who dont know, im kat, 30 from belfast.. mine started in week 4 and although im still sick almost every day at 32 weeks, im a LOT better than i was, something i am eternally grateful for! i had a rough ride, as all us HG sufferers do, and was in & out of hospital for rehydration etc.. im pretty sure im past all of that now, although i still have my moments!

looking forward to meeting the rest of you!
kat

Hi Kat, well you already know my story but for those that don't, here goes. I've had hyperemesis since week 6 and I'm now 17+4 and since week 15 it seems to have got worse. At the minute I'm finding it really hard to keep anything down and I'm absolutely knackered and so weak, I've been in hospital twice for IV fluids and taking cyclizine now though they don't seem to work. I'm into my 10th week off work and I can't wait til this pregnancy is over as I'm so fed up with this. I just want to go out for a couple of hours and have a bit of fun but I can hardly walk downstairs in my own house without getting really tired and dizzy. Looking forward to hearing from other sufferers too.

know ive said this already, but mine peaked about where you are now.. that was the last time i was in hosp...hoping its the same for you hun xxx

Last time I was in hospital was about 11 weeks I don't know how I've managed to stay out, must be all that fizzy lime as I'm drinking gallons of it, hurts like hell coming up again but it's the only drink I can actually stomach taste of right now, though can't be too good for me but it's better than dehydration and a few nights in Neely again.

yep.. when i last got discharged from neely ward, i swore to myself id do everything in my power to stay out of there!!! if the fizzy lime works.. keep drinking it!!!!

i was really sick this morning.. made my nose bleed :-( feeling a lot better now tho thankfully!

poor you, hate it when nose bleeds mine does quite a lot of that lately too, worst thing is when sick comes down your nose and something gets stuck it's so painful trying to get rid of it. On the bright side though you're nearly there, not too long for you to go now until you meet Ruby

looks like it's just us for now, there must be more of us somewhere?

Hi Girls. Bout ye!

Glad to have found you in the one place! My forum buddy, Lazy Leo directed me here, so kudos to her wee cotton socks.

I spent two nights last week in Neely and I too am trying everything in my power to stay out of there. It was so unbelievably noisy I didn't sleep a wink and actually came home feeling worse than when I went in. The only good thing to have come out of it was getting an early internal scan at 6 weeks + 5.

I'm currently on Metoclopramide, which only takes the edge off the nausea, but am still vomiting from time to time. Craftymum, you mentioned Zobran in a post on my thread. Why would they not give you a prescription home with you? I believe it is very expensive, but that's just cruel. Did it work at all? Had you considered buying it over the internet?

I am hating everything at the moment. I can only just about handle water-at a push and that's with fear of ending up in the Ulster again! My eldest turned 14 yesterday and I spent the entire day in bed I felt so crap. Not a nice birthday for him :cry: My total meal consumption for the day was a pastie bap (ask ye not!) from the local chippy. Disgusting, but I managed to keep it down by a miraculous feat.

I am nowhere as advanced as you two at being only 8 weeks. This is Hell, and the thought of going another few weeks like this is getting me down. I suffered Hyperemesis with my last pregnancy 11 years ago and was admitted twice to the gynae ward in the City hospital.

I'm 40 years old and happily married for the second time. My boys are 14 and 11 and I also have a 14 yr old step son at home too. I need my head opened doing this again and I warned Hubs when we were TTC that I might be ill. I don't think he was prepared for all this...

CHicken is cooking in the oven for tonight's dinner and I want to throw right now.

Lovely to meet local girls and I'm sorry that you're suffering too.

:hug:

Sam xxx

hey sam.. good to see you found us!!

seems like we all have similar experiences of our times on neely ward! i agree, the only good thing about my times there was the sneaky scans at the DOU on admission!!!

i remember that feeling of being 8 weeks, and thinking that i would never last the whole 9 months, but im almost there now, and i survived it! you guys will too! it will get better...

the zofran they only gave me in my drip while i was there, they had me on cyclizine at first but it wasnt working, and i think they were fed up with emptying my sick bowls every 10 mins, so they gave me that.. it really works, but i think (correct me if im wrong) that its not considered to be as safe as metoclopromide or cyclizine, so thats why they wont let you take it long term :-(

I almost had a fight with one of the house doctors when he insted on giving me Cyclazine again. (My GP had just prescribed it the morning before I was admitted) and I hated it-I was having all the nausea but having out of body experiences! When the consultant (Dr Mawhinney) was doing her rounds the following morning, he was there wittering on about giving Cyclazine again. I threw a wobbly and told the consultant that I had had other meds when pregnant with my youngest and he was born with all his faculties and fingers and toes, so I was going to take the risk of trying another drug and to draft up a disclaimer. She looked at the house doctor and said "Give her Metoclopramide" and walked off.

I think the issue with Zofran is the price. I think it is more commonly prescribed for MS in the States than here.

Bah!

Today is the longest that I have been out of bed for 3 days, but I'm feeling the need to go back for another nap. I am so tired that my head is spinning.

Has anyone tried Vitamin B6 for the nausea? I'm grasping at straws here.

XXX

Neely ward was crap, Nurses were lovely but it was so noisy, I took ear plugs in on my 2nd stay to try to block some of it out, and hate how they never collected your pee samples, I'd one nurse asking me for a sample and I told her I couldn't go but when I eventually did I told her twice and when I went the next morning my sample from the night before was still there so I told her again and she just laughed, when they changed shifts I went a bit later on and my 2 samples were still there, one of the other Nurses was raging as she said that's how samples get mixed up so I had to start putting my name on them from then on. Think with zofran it's cos it's a relatively new drug and they told me there wasn't enough research the doc said it was like the pregnant womans morphine, they said they only used it in emergency setting - it def worked great though but they can't take risk of giving it to us incase we try to sue if something goes wrong, medical staff in the states are much more clued up on hypoeremesis than they are here but I guess that's cos they have to pay for it all over there. I too am fed up as I remember being 8 weeks and thinking is this ever gonna end but I never thought I'd still be as bad at this stage, I seem to have got worse since I hit 15 weeks. All I eat is white bread and fruit and still can't have water near me, I feel really weak and I look a mess, greasy unkempt hair and unshaven legs the heap. I've already been sick loads today, basically if it goes in it'll come back up again, used to be I could've ate toast and it would've stayed down but now nothing seems to stay down, I don't coo,k I don't clean, I don't do anything anymore apart from sleep and throw up, didn't sleep last night at all as had such a bad night and felt so sick all night, then started throwing up at 9am this morning, worried about my poor teeth as well. Just can't wait til the day I can actually get up and go out to the shops even just for an hour but right now I would collapse if I even tried. So glad my daughter is 16 would hate to have a little toddler running around while going through this.

Yay for you girls :D I've not been as bad as some however, I did have about 5 weeks off work with it (after struggling for a few) and then proceeded to be signed off for high BP, PE etc etc!!

Thankfully mine is easing off now (have had 2 days with no sickness but 3 times today!) but anything is better than when it was as its worst - 50/60 times a day!!

Hi Vici, glad yours is easing off. I've been off work for about 10 weeks now and can't see me being able to go back for a while yet. It really is horrible as you just can't enjoy the pregnancy at all when you are so ill. So many people think it's just morning sickness and then there's the old wee it's not like you're ill or anything!! :hissy:I'd love to see these people coping with a severe bout of food poisoning for 9 months.

I know, people who say you're pregnant not ill, have got the harsh end of my tongue, lol!! My mum corrects them, and says, actually she is very ill, bless her :D

My Mum still can't come to terms with fact I'm being sick so much, every day when she hears I've been throwing up yet again, she says MY GOODNESS in a shocked tone!

Girls, here's a :hugs: for you, but I'll not squeeze too tight.

Crafty, my Mum is a star and knows that it's not just MS as she saw how I suffered the last time. I don't know what I'd do without her. She came all the way from Carrickfergus last week to stand in my kitchen for 3 hours and do my ironing whilst I sat at the kitchen table with my head in my hands groaning.

I too am a durty scut-haven't had a shower for three days, my hair is tangled and wild and I haven't bothered to wash my face today. Now, that coming from a girl who usually takes pride in her appearance is baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Hubs said today that if he had known how ill I'd be, he wouldn't have bothered trying for a baby of our own...

lol yep its only now at 32 weeks that im able to do those little things for myself.. the simple things like having straightened hair, and shaved legs! it feels SO good! im almost feeling a wee bit guilty that im thru the worst of it now, and you girls are still living the full nightmare... but on the other hand.. im living proof that there is an end in sight.. just in the distance, but its there!ive not been too bad today, i was sick a few times this morning, but was ok in the afternoon. my main problem is liquids, im SO thirsty all the time, and conscious of keeping the dreaded ketones away, but more than a mouthful at a time still makes me feel really sick, and if i dare have a big drink, it will more than likely come back up again... i have to just keep sipping all day, but im dying for a big glass of ice cold water!

cant beleive some of u girls have done this twice! i really, honestly cant see us going thru it again!

OOhh Kat, Just looked at your ticker 54 days to go, I'm sure you can't wait to meet her after the long hard battle you've had to get her here. When I look at my own and see that I'm almost halfway it's hard to believe but I just wish I could feel normal again, I'm really fed up, I eat my toast at about 8ish and by 9 I'm throwing up and it's the same pattern all day long, every time I eat, I throw up within an hour. I just sat and cried this afternoon as I can hardly remember what normal food tastes like and I really really wanted to have some chocolate but I've tried that once and it was such a bad idea. My tummy is so sore that I have to practically stand upright when I'm sick as it hurts to bend forward and I get so bloated it's really uncomfortable. I knelt down to pick something up yesterday and I didn't even have the strength in my thighs to push myself back up again, I had to grab the wall and use my arms to try to get up. It's weird cos I feel like such a fat blob even though I weigh less than before I was pregnant, must be just from being laid up so long. I just wish I could feel baby move as I know that would make me feel a bit better but as I haven't felt a thing yet I worry so much that something bad has happened. I've 3 weeks left until my scan and I'm dreading it, I'm just so paranoid about it all. I'm just so fed up with all of this, I feel so lonely and I just want to feel normal again.:cry: Feel like all I ever do these days is moan moan moan!

moan all you like hun.. sometimes thats all you can do!!
Ive been having a rough day too.. was really sick at 5am, complete with nosebleed ughh
then went back to bed, ate a dry cracker and took a cyclizine... im sure you know what im talking about when i talk about throwing up after taking one.. its FOUL.. the taste and the acid... ugh. makes me want to never take another one again, so i was really sick about 15 mins after taking that, that, combined with the dry cracker made for a terrible throwing up experience lol... has left me with horrible reflux all day that no amount of gaviscon will shift :-(
have to take bailey to the vets tonight too.. that will be an experience as its always bunged and they are always running late, and restraining a bouncy boxer in a packed vets reception is enough to push me over the edge! just hope OH gets home in time to come with me!

yep..54 days to go.. cant believe it!
heres a cot pic to cheer you all up!!
https://media6.dropshots.com/photos/542847/20090512/124908.jpg

and me a few days ago!
https://media8.dropshots.com/photos/542847/20090512/123911.jpg

Kat, You look great and the wee cot is adorable! Does looking at it make the suffering any more worthwhile? Had you thought of taking Zantac along with your tablet? They gave me that and a prescription home with me and it has helped with the acid no end. Doc said Zantac ok to take in pregnancy. Sorry you were so crap this morning.

Sam xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"