Hypermobility

Physical therapy is all I can really suggest. My hips were so sore and pt helped keep them strong. My epidural didn't work right either

Oh my goodness. Thank you for resurrecting this thread. Had knee surgery in Aug. 2010 then sacroiliitis in winter/spring of 2011. My rheumetologist says I have hypermobility. My knee has been popping a lot and I am afraid of my sacroiliitis flaring back up. Thank you for finding this. I will need to talk to my doc at my next appointment.

Oh good luck at your next appointment BeesKnees! Let us know how you get on x

Physical therapy is all I can really suggest. My hips were so sore and pt helped keep them strong. My epidural didn't work right either

Thanks for that MissFox. Can I ask what kind of exercises the pt gave you for your hips?

It's just that I was given a lot of exercises that I found quite painful. She also insisted on 'training' my hips to go the 'correct way'. I stopped going after the third session as I ended up crying in front of her!

Oh my goodness. Thank you for resurrecting this thread. Had knee surgery in Aug. 2010 then sacroiliitis in winter/spring of 2011. My rheumetologist says I have hypermobility. My knee has been popping a lot and I am afraid of my sacroiliitis flaring back up. Thank you for finding this. I will need to talk to my doc at my next appointment.

Thank you so much. Luckily my OH is an athletic trainer/physical therapist. LOL, that is actually how I met him, he worked with me on my knee. (he didn't ask me out till my last day of therapy though *snort*)

I hope everything goes well for those with hypermobility. I didn't realize it was common.

Mostly the exercises involved laying on my back and moving my legs in certain ways. They were painful and some made me want to cry. I ended up not following through because I went into the hospital with contractions 5 mins apart for 7 hours so they put me on "modified" bedrest. I was 34 weeks.

Mostly the exercises involved laying on my back and moving my legs in certain ways. They were painful and some made me want to cry. I ended up not following through because I went into the hospital with contractions 5 mins apart for 7 hours so they put me on "modified" bedrest. I was 34 weeks.

Those exercises sound familiar - thanks for letting me know

So do you think the exercises encouraged labour to come on early? I ask because I'm hesitant to go to a pt for help with the pain during pregnancy in case that very thing happens.

At my booking in appointment my midwife hadn't heard of hypermobile hips before so I'm getting the feeling that there is no-one out there trained on dealing with pregnant ladies with hypermobile hips!

Thank you so much. Luckily my OH is an athletic trainer/physical therapist. LOL, that is actually how I met him, he worked with me on my knee. (he didn't ask me out till my last day of therapy though *snort*)

I hope everything goes well for those with hypermobility. I didn't realize it was common.

Ah ha, lucky you! Hopefully your OH knows the importance of massage during pregnancy :winkwink:

I don't think so. I think being hypermobile made labor happen early- along with the cord around my LOs neck and her getting to big for me (ended up going overdue and EMCS). My PT told me that "it looked like she was just gonna fall out"

Hi ladies :)

Im still awaiting my anaesthetic review - am hoping a rheumatologist will be there too - there was talk from my consultant about booking me in for an elective c section so I could have spinal block rather than eipdural but Ive said I want to try a water birth with no pain meds (I react funny to pain meds too - wierd side affects and no pain relief!) if I can

Im not having any issues with my hips yet and Im still swimming breast stroke at least once a week and do aquanatal and pilates - am still recovering from a disclocated and fractured shoulder (was walking my sisters dog when he pulled on the lead!) so am hoping that will be all healed ready for baby! my physio is v painful but its purposeful pain so Im going with it

Good luck. They took forever to place my episode and it failed after 35 minutes. They tried 2 spinals and they didn't work so I had to be put to sleep. I say go for the water birth!

Finding this thread has really been a relief to me. Most of my joints are extremely flexible, but I have particular trouble with my knees, hips, shoulders, and spine. Just normal walking has my knees popping and collapsing, and my hips dislocating. I will admit, I've been petrified of TTC. My mind was completely filled with horror stories. Reading about so many success stories though, and knowing there are people to talk to when we do make that step really helps. It's also been educational. I had no idea it could affect how long birth took.

Any one here have a partner who's also HMS? We're kind of concerned with how that will affect potential offspring.

i have hypermobility. My first pregnancy was awful, i had severe spd, joint pain all over- it took 2 years for me to be able to lift my leg and kick a football, my feet spead from a size 3 to a size 5 and i had joint pain in my feet for 2 years after birth. I also had polyhudramnios in that pregnancy and with how much my tumym got stretched i had those terrible network of stretchmarks associated with hypermobility.

with this pregnancy before i even knew i was pregnant i started having joint pain in my back and by 7 weeks my hips were feeling unstable when i walked. i was diagnosed with hypermobility at this point. I was told that i scored really high and that meant i would have to severely restrict my movement during pregnancy. (so no walking up the hill im on, anything that hurts im not allowed to do, and not allowed in water for longer than 20 mins) Ive been told that im likely to suffer as i get older too.

through this pregnancy ive gained hardly any extra stretch marks (because theres no room left for them!) and ive been really careful. when i go up or down stairs i click, and all that usual spd/sacroilliac pains and symptoms.

other than it making life a bit more difficult there been no complications.

gosh maman youve had a hard time!

good luck with ttc mme aloria :)

Ive got my anaesthetic review on 4th Nov so that should be interesting - and timely as Martha is still transverse lie so its looking like an elective c section for me! Theres no way Im letting them turn her in case shes hypermobile

i have hypermobility but i have pretty m,uch just lived with it my whole life - to the point where i actually have not told my midwife as i completly forgot! it is only because my back and hips started aching this week that i thought anything of it - do you think i need to ring the midwife and tell her now or can i leave it for 4 weeks until my next appointment?

I left it until I was requesting physical therapy. When I mentioned it she didn't know what it was lol

I mentioned it at my first appt and got referred to the antenatal physio. You could call her and ask? :)

Just wondered, my hyper mobility pain was minimal during pregnancy, but the last few weeks I've been in AGONY again, anyone else? X

I certainly have more pain now then when pregnant...but I have autoimmune issues so I can never tell between one and the other.

I think my pain is also worse. And my shoulder issue that rose when I was pregnant is still here and almost as bad. The only difference is the carpal tunnel is gone... yay for my hands nit Google completely jumbo 86% of the day!

Ugh, this has got me all worried! We are only at the "trying" stage at the moment, but I really hope my hyper mobility doesn't affect me even more once I am pregnant!

I have heaps of trouble with my hyper mobility. I have hyper mobile shoulders, ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders, neck, wrists, elbows... so basically everything! I also have subluxation in my shoulder, and Ive had an injury in my leg for 2 years! And I used to have trouble with my knees.

I know my Mother had very short labors, her obstetrician never made it to the Births! And whenever I need a local anesthetic at the dentist, she always has to give me two or I still feel it.

I live in Germany, so I hope i'll be able to find a nice English speaking Doctor/Midwife/Physiotherapist to get me through if it gets bad!

hopefully you wont have any probs sarah - Ive been fine up until the last few weeks (Im 34 weeks pg now) and its just my shoulder and hips playing up at the moment (mw was pretty dismissive saying it was normal)

re anaesthetics Ive had an anaesthetic review - the advice was for me to have an epidural to see if it worked then they'd know to go straight to general anaesthetic if I need an emergency c section - if I was to have an elective section they would give me a spinal and epidural and hopefully that would do the trick - they also said they'd be v careful with my hips which is good - Im kind of still hoping for a waterbirth tho so if theres a delay getting an epidural (theres only one guy on shift usually and he has to cover emergency sections as well) then I'll hopefully get to try that first!

my mams labours were 6 hours and 4 hours - so hopefully mine will be short :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->