Hypnobirth

P

purple_socks

I'm looking for birth stories from people who've used hypnobirthing or similar during labour....anyone on here? anyone know anywhere on the web where i can find any stories (i've looked on the hypnobirthing site but they all seem a bit like 'adverts' rather than genuine stories)?

Anyone planning a hypnobirth?

I am! I'm actually just about to book the course, 2 days (a weekend), £180. If nothing else it will help me relax. I don't mind taking any drugs they want to give me, it's not that, I just don't want to make the labour longer or more difficult because I'm stressing out. Hopefully the hypnotherapy music and technqiues will give me something to focus on.

Let me know what you find out!

i half did :lol: I purchased the cd's to listen to home (https://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/10.html i got them off ebay for much cheaper though!) and the birthing one. I didn't end up listening to the birthing one in the end, but the pregnancy one was good even if it was just because it gave me half an hour relaxation time in an afternoon with the added bonus it made me go to sleep!

i half did :lol: I purchased the cd's to listen to home (https://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/10.html i got them off ebay for much cheaper though!) and the birthing one. I didn't end up listening to the birthing one in the end, but the pregnancy one was good even if it was just because it gave me half an hour relaxation time in an afternoon with the added bonus it made me go to sleep!

did u use the techniques during labour? just wondered if/how it helped x

I didn't study it religiously, but I read all the materials and it calmed me down a lot about labour. I just felt really relaxed and at ease. I did use some of the exercises during labour, and remembered what I'd read. I didn't stick to it religiously though.

I had a natural, almost silent birth. :)

Hi,

We did the hypnobirthing (r) classes too, and would highly recommend it!! As well as the classes, there was some 'homework' to practice each day if possible. Although I didn't get my birth centre birth as hoped (had to be transferred to hospital for IV anti biotics as precaution), I remained calm and content throughout my contractions and got to 7 cm dilation before I felt I needed anything extra. Then had gas and air to take edge off the discomfort as I then dilated 7 - 10 VERY quickly (due to scar tissue on my cervix - so this wouldn't be a 'average labour/birth).

I felt calm and in control, relaxed and safe. If all goes well next time, I wouldn't hesitate in having a home birth with hypnobirthing and gas and air again.

xxx

I didn't study it religiously, but I read all the materials and it calmed me down a lot about labour. I just felt really relaxed and at ease. I did use some of the exercises during labour, and remembered what I'd read. I didn't stick to it religiously though.

wow this is great. i was starting to doubt the birth storis i'd read on hypnobirthing sites so its great to hear from real people about their experiences of it.

couple of questions tho:
Did any relaxation technique work the best or better than the others?...did u do any kind of fear release scripts? i can't find anything in the book that shows how to 'release' fears about labour (i haven't done the course- i can't afford it) so have u got any tips?

If you can get hold of Shifter she was really well read on the subject and had prepared for a hypnobirth.

These stories are great! When would you recommend going on the course? I'm due early August, there are courses in May, June and July - I was thinking June?

wow this is great. i was starting to doubt the birth storis i'd read on hypnobirthing sites so its great to hear from real people about their experiences of it.

couple of questions tho:
Did any relaxation technique work the best or better than the others?...did u do any kind of fear release scripts? i can't find anything in the book that shows how to 'release' fears about labour (i haven't done the course- i can't afford it) so have u got any tips?

For us there were the breathing exercises to be done throughout the different stages of labour, along with visualisations to help the labour process - instead of panicing and tensing up.

There were a few 'scripts' practiced all to help go into a deeper state of relaxation and focus. My favorite one one wa the 'gloved hand' and 'depthometer' - these were visualisations that helped 'numb/anesthitise' areas you may have felt more pressure - fab!!! They were done with the same cd playing in the background..... which we had a copy of, so we could play it during labour (which naturally helped achieve that relaxed state)

Yes, the fear release script was included at the end - just to ensure there was no negativity we were holding on to.

We were given a cd of positive affirmations (Marie Mongan) to listen to daily, that was good too. You may be able to get this on you tube or similar.

Will dig out my stuff and see what else I can tell you.

You'll be fine, with or without the hypnobirthing stuff!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

These stories are great! When would you recommend going on the course? I'm due early August, there are courses in May, June and July - I was thinking June?

June sounds good, as the more daily practice you can do, the better!!! I did mine about 8 weeks before EDD.

XXX

couple of questions tho:

Relaxation techniques will work differently for different people. I preferred the ones that didn't require too much thinking! So the opening flower, and one that my Aunt taught me, which is to imagine your "surges" as waves coming up a beach. They peak as they hit the beach, then flow away again.

I didn't use any scripts, and I didn't use any specific kind of breathing. I just knew from the reading how to control my breathing properly.

As for releasing fear, I just had to rationalise it. I had to keep telling myself labour was a natural, and beautiful thing and that women had been doing it for millions of years. I just only thought about this, not the potential negative aspects. I watched positive and hypnoborthing videos and didn't allow people to talk to me who thought labour was an awful experience, because it's not - it's beautiful. :)

I never went on a course, so don't know what they're like.

I think doing the course will give me a little more confidence as well as the relaxation and focus aspect. One thing I keep in my mind is a statement I read someplace "this is what your body was designed for". I find that thought comforting and reassuring.

I have been avoiding birth horror stories or really even any stories at all apart from the sketchiest of details. I haven't bought any books, or looked up anything on the net other than stages of development - e.g. at x weeks your baby is doing y ... I'm finding this approach has helped me not worry so far! One of my friends had a really open mind to labour (and she said things similar to you - that it was a wonderful experience) and said not to pay any heed to horror stories or to look up anything ... and it was the best advice I think I've ever been given!!!

One thing I'm apprehensive about is the standard NHS ante-natal classes. I think that I'm going to end up hearing things that will really freak me out. :argh:

I had a hypno birth - my friend is a hypno therapist and used my 2 practice (I dont no how much it costs if u have to pay) but i listened to the CD as often as i could. In my opinion it works well as i managed to stay at home for a long time and when i got to hosp i was 9 cm!! I needed gas and air towards the end to do the pushing part, apart from this it was a drug free, relitivly pain free labour!! Highly reccommended!!!

Good luck!!!

I kinda sorta used it. I read the book and thought it had lots of great info in it. I never really had any fear of labor. It just didn't make sense to me that it would be that painful if women keep going back for more. And that whole it's a pain you forget speech just never really made sense to me. You remember pain.

I was pretty much silent while I was laboring. The whole "waves" thing is pretty much exactly how I would describe it. Now the pushing stage - there's this downbreathing technique that supposed to be used instead of actual pushing. Maybe it's because I was on my back but it didn't really work for me although it was great for holding him in place between contractions.

I also highly recommend. There are just so many good principles you can use even if you don't want to do the whole deal.

did u use the techniques during labour? just wondered if/how it helped x

well, i think i did really. I didn't scream or anything like that during birth i just talked a lot :dohh: I managed to get through with no pain releif apart from tens and gas and air right at the last minute (the pushing stage) so yes i think i did benefit from using the cd but it's hard to say truthfully simply because i have nothing to compare it to. I would recommend the cd's though.

Just wanted to say thanks for your posts ... I was pretty much there with my mind made up but you're reassuring me about my decision ... thanks ladies!:)

i have another question 4 u guys that used hypnobirthing techniques...how were ur partners with the whole thing? did they do much? did u find them supportive/helpful/annoying during labour? i really can't see my partner getting into any of this- he finds me meditating a bit weird! i know theres a whole script/ poem thing in my hypnobirthing book 4 partners to read to help with relaxation but its really not the kind of thing i could see my husband reading (or me taking seriously if he did)- i find it a bit cheesey! wondered if u had any tips

My OH read the whole book, knew the different techniques and things however when it came to labour I wanted to do it on my own. I didn't want him or the MW talking to me or touching me at all lol. :lol: So I pretty much laboured alone.

I think it is in tri 2, someone has a thread about it and a youtbe video where she breathes the baby out -she looks like she could fall asleep during labour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->