Hypnobirthing, pain and OH..sorry a bit of a rant

What an interesting post, thanks very much! Can I ask, do you have a book or anything you recommend to learn "the science", as I am very interested to read up on this, cheers x

I've been reading the Mongan Method to hypnobirthing. In it she talks a lot about the science but she also references you to the places she did the research to find out the information. I've taken a few of her references and looked them up online as well. Just because I'm the type of person that doesn't just listen to what people say, I have to read it myself. :) I would say look up anything my Dr. Dick-Reed. She references him a lot.

Excellent thankyou! :thumbup: I will do just that!! :)

I read the Marie Mongan book too, very good! I didn't take everything she said on board (for ex, diet, perineal massage). But I found her description of the uterus and how it works very helpful, it makes it very plain just how tension works against the process and causes pain :)

I read the Marie Mongan book too, very good! I didn't take everything she said on board (for ex, diet, perineal massage). But I found her description of the uterus and how it works very helpful, it makes it very plain just how tension works against the process and causes pain :)

Hahaha yea the nutrition part was skipped right by from me. :) I think I will totally get DH on board with the massage though. :shy:

I used Hypnobirthing and I really found it helpful. I just attended a client who described herself as having a 'low pain threshold'. She and her OH did a Hypnobirthing course and she re read the book after. She didnt spend a huge amount of time 'practicing' but did buy into it whole heartedly. She didnt expect it to be 'pain free' but knew how fear and tension affects the body in labour.
She laboured (in the latent stage) easily and well at home using the techniques. She wasnt very active unless she really felt like moving but she talked between contractions for the whole labour and birth. Upon admission to hospital - still super calm and only really there because she was struggling to have a wee! - she was found to be fully dilated and breathed her baby out without a single push or scream. She was amazing and the MWs were blown away - as was her OH.

It works. She bought into it and used it very, very effectively. :D

I used Hypnobirthing and I really found it helpful. I just attended a client who described herself as having a 'low pain threshold'. She and her OH did a Hypnobirthing course and she re read the book after. She didnt spend a huge amount of time 'practicing' but did buy into it whole heartedly. She didnt expect it to be 'pain free' but knew how fear and tension affects the body in labour.
She laboured (in the latent stage) easily and well at home using the techniques. She wasnt very active unless she really felt like moving but she talked between contractions for the whole labour and birth. Upon admission to hospital - still super calm and only really there because she was struggling to have a wee! - she was found to be fully dilated and breathed her baby out without a single push or scream. She was amazing and the MWs were blown away - as was her OH.

It works. She bought into it and used it very, very effectively. :D

Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience!! :flower:

@ Merv's Mum, Ive read the book and using so far just the one CD. My partner is reading the rainbow relaxation to me each evening now and we are starting to get into it. I find it does get me relaxed and I am starting to automatically do the sleep breathing.

I am just wondering is that enough? After reading your story I wonder is it more a state of mind than focusing on all the excercises. I really believe that remaining calm and breathing well makes the biggest difference and I started with the Dick Grantly book first.

I am a bit concerned because I find that I am only now focusing on the content...the relaxations and visualisations....I'm already at 32 weeks. Had loads of good intentions to start earlier but ended up being busy with work and moving house!! Do people get good results this late?

Cheers :)

The client I mentioned above didnt start reading the book until she was 38 wks. It is very much about mindset IMHO. If you understand the way fear and tension affects the labouring body and act accordingly - keeping, calm, focused and using what ever techniques work for you - then you CAN have a great birth experience and the calm and enjoyable labour and birth we see associated with Hypnobirthing.

You sound like you are doing great and well ahead of time too! Try alternating between the relaxation tracks and the affirmations to find which you really like. Some women like the relaxation tracks in labour and others like the affirmations - so try both. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->