Hypnobirthing question

JessesGirl29

Reaction score
My midwife gave me a list of contacts and from researching natural birth and home birth I was super interested in hypnobirthing. I contacted the woman who did it and she said she did it privately with couples in their home and the price was $400.00. I'm on a budget for this baby because I took a lower paying and less stressful job to have a baby after months of trying to conceive and it worked, but now I have to be very careful and sadly said 'no'
My OH told me that he'd been talking to his Dad (first grandchild on that side and likely the only one until I have more) and his Dad sent him the money for it saying that I should have whatever birth prep I felt like I needed. Soooo sweet but I'm still not sure I should spend the money on it.
What if it all goes out the window when the pain hits. Was it worth it for anyone whose done it? I'd also love to hear from anyone it didn't help. I just need some insight before I spend the money on that over other things.
Thanks in advance ladies...

My word, what a wonderful FIL you have!!!

I can't comment on the hypnobirthing course, as I couldn't find one near us last time and didn't want to spend the money this time. If you're thinking about it, I'd highly recommend buying the hypnobirthing book and having a read of that first. Many public libraries have it as well. That way you can see if the general style appeals to you and if you think the techniques would benefit you. I had the book and cd last time but it just wasn't for me.

This time I went for the natal hypnotherapy cd programme. It's not quite as new-agey and suits me a lot better. What is even better, is that it's a complete home-study course on cd, so you can practise over and over, which is important for any hypnotherapy. And it's relatively cheap at around £/$10 per cd or book. I got the book and four CDs: pregnancy relaxation, birth preparation, music for labour (which is the same as on the birth preparation course, so reminds your subconscious to relax) and a labour companion (which reminds you of the techniques and has a track for re-focussing if things get a bit stressful along the way). I bought most used on eBay, so spent way less than the £50 these would cost new, but even at that price, they would have been well worth it.

I did the course. I felt that it helped me have a relaxed mindset in the lead up to the birth but that it was not much realistic help during the actual labour. My yoga ujjayi breathing was much more practical use.

I had the book as couldn't justify costs of the course. I'm really pleased I read it - didn't do everything to the letter but it just generally changed my entire mindset about labour and what I could cope with. I used the breathing techniques and some of the visualisations. I had a great labour with just water and gas for pain relief. Pushing was more tricky and took two hours and I ended up having to have an episiotomy but overall it was a great experience and I'd highly recommend the book to anyone.

I had a similar experience to MrsButterfly. I decided only to read the book (Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method) and listen to the CD. It changed my outlook on labour and birth, and I ended up having a really great, unmedicated birth. It wasn't painful either, only uncomfortable at times, but nothing unbearable. I didn't use all of the techniques either, but it was still extremely helpful. I've since become a doula and recommend the book to clients. I've had positive feedback from many people. :)

I'm thinking about taking the course, but am starting to feel on the fence about it after reading all this. I think part of why I want to take it is to get my husband a little more involved with this whole pregnancy. The midwife who offers it told me to take it as soon as possible (the next course will start when I am at 20 weeks) so we can practice up until the birth.

its $425 with a book and CDs to go along with it.

I didn't do hypnobirthing per se as we have a different method that's more common here (natal hypnotherapy), so I can't comment specifically on that course. But I found hypnotherapy was the best thing I could have done to prepare for my birth. I did take the class (though it's much cheaper here), but I would have been just as fine with the book and CD as it's all just about practice. The class itself isn't going to magically make it work if you aren't practicing daily anyway. But I'd say if you have the money for it, then do it. Hypnotherapy of any sort is a fantastic preparation for birth and I'm soooo glad I did it. I had a home birth using just a TENS machine (HIGHLY recommend using one of those too) and it really wasn't all that painful. I was fully dilated by the time I even thought to call the midwives and they didn't even really believe I was in established labour because I seemed (and felt) so comfortable and almost left until they realised contractions were really close together! I never felt scared or out of control or like I couldn't cope with the pain. It was all very manageable and I think that was largely because I did the hypnotherapy.

So do it. It's worth it. You're in the U.S., I'm assuming, where you'd have to pain for pain relief anyway. I think $400 on hypnotherapy is a better way to spend money than $500+ on an epidural. Plus, you know, it's just so much nicer this way.

^^Thanks for the info!^^

After reading this thread and talking it over with my husband, we decided to get the book and cd, read it together and see if it feels right for us. We will practice together and if we think we need more or just aren't getting it, then we will sign up for the class in the new year.

I'm in Vietnam, so basically it was looking like the hypnobirthing classes were going to almost the same price as the birth its self! I guess we shouldn't really complain, but it would be nice to save something here and there.

I'm in Canada so my pain relief is free. :winkwink:
This has been great advice. I'm going to get to book from the library before I make a choice :)

^^Thanks for the info!^^

After reading this thread and talking it over with my husband, we decided to get the book and cd, read it together and see if it feels right for us. We will practice together and if we think we need more or just aren't getting it, then we will sign up for the class in the new year.

I'm in Vietnam, so basically it was looking like the hypnobirthing classes were going to almost the same price as the birth its self! I guess we shouldn't really complain, but it would be nice to save something here and there.

Hi Viet! So glad to see you are preggers!! :happydance:

Although I haven't given birth yet, I am happy with the natal hypnotherapy book and cd by Maggie Howell called 'Effective Birth Preperation'. I haven't listened to the cd as much as I should be, but the book has given me a lot of confidence in my body's ability to give birth...to do what it's meant to. I'm hopeful that this, in combination with the Ujjayi breathing Larkspur mentioned and being in the water, will aid me in having the natural birth I want.

^^Thanks for the info!^^

Hi Viet! So glad to see you are preggers!! :happydance:

Although I haven't given birth yet, I am happy with the natal hypnotherapy book and cd by Maggie Howell called 'Effective Birth Preperation'. I haven't listened to the cd as much as I should be, but the book has given me a lot of confidence in my body's ability to give birth...to do what it's meant to. I'm hopeful that this, in combination with the Ujjayi breathing Larkspur mentioned and being in the water, will aid me in having the natural birth I want.

Thank you! It took me long enough, but this one seems like it may be sticking around. We are very excited!

I ended up ordering the Morgan Method Hypnobirthing book and CD. DH and I are going to read it and practice together (he is also doing prenatal yoga with me and LOVING IT! So funny, he's super into all the squats and hip opening stretches) and see how we do. We can always sign up for classes later if we don't feel confident. I'm excited to get started with the method!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->