Hypnobirthing

suffolksazzle

Reaction score
Me again! At my 28w MW appointment I was given a leaflet on hypnobirthing. It's £200 for four 2 hour sessions, practice materials, cd's and other info. Now, I've not heard of this before but it something new which is supposed to be a natural pain relief via almost hypnotising yourself and your partner into relaxation. It sounds interesting but I don't know how I would feel actually on birthing day! I mean, I could pay £200 for this wonderful course but be so frantic when the time comes that I forget/can't focus on what I've learnt!

What do u think? Anyone had any experience with this? x

I'm trying it but not doing courses. Just got cd and book. Take a look on the natural birthing threads, there is information and opinions there. Sounds good but like you I don't know how I'll be when it comes down to it!

I am like the pp. The book is an easy read and I like the CDs as well. I also looked on YouTube, and there were plenty of people posting how to do the breathing and such. I am going to try to get by without paying for the class.

I really like the philosophy of it all. It's probably not for everyone, but if you want to go natural, it's worth it.

I have a book and CD.
For £200 I'd want Derren Brown in the labour room with me :)

I'm doing book and cd!
I feel very knowledgable and safe about going into labour, something I didn't feel before the CDs and book.
I honestly couldn't tell you if I feel like it will work, the CDs relax me that I zone out and don't remember a thing said to me, but this is apparently good?!
I found the birth stories in the Natural Birth thread really positive though, with plenty of people saying the CDs just worked and they don't know how!!
I'm remaining positive, and hopefully as I'm due in 2 days I will soon be able to add my own birth story to the thread!!!!

If you don't want to pay for the class (and if you actually practice and commit to doing it everyday, you don't have to), just get the CD and book and do it yourself. You don't need to take the class.

I used natal hypnotherapy and it was AMAZING!! It was the best thing I could have done to prepare for my birth. There is nothing to actually 'do' during the birth to make it work. It's all in the practice in the weeks leading up to it. It helps to change your perspective on birth and pain so that when the time comes, you are just relaxed and comfortable and don't feel much pain. You're totally in control and aware of everything, but your body just responds to pain differently so that you're comfortable. I did take the class, but honestly it's just exactly what's in the book and taking the class won't make it do anything for you unless you still practice on your own. The NH classes are only 95 quid so definitely cheaper if it is something you want to do. But I would have done fine without them. I had a home birth with no pain relief (other than a TENS machine up til I started to push). I could have used gas and air too (as I had it at home) but never needed it. I was so relaxed and fine that the midwives almost left when they got there because they didn't think I was in established labour. I was starting to push so they checked me and I was already fully dilated. My daughter was born 4 hours later. It was hard work and intense (my thighs were sooo tired from squatting), but it wasn't all that painful. I can't say enough about what a difference it makes. So if you have the chance to do it, do it. I personally recommend natal hypnotherapy as that's what worked for me and the book that goes along with it (Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell) is just great by itself. The CD is only 12 quid (you'll want the birth prep and relaxing music ones, so 24 altogether) and I think the book is similar. It's worth it, I think, regardless of whether you decide to take the class.

If you want to see how it works, my birth story is in my siggie.

I too have the CD and book - the Katherine graves ones. I feel like if nothing else the book gave me a very clear knowledge of how my body will work during labour and from that the theories behind hypnobirthing just seem common sense! I figure that even if I end up having to have done short of intervention I've had a really relaxed pregnancy and been able to trust my body so far so why not when it comes down to the actual labour. Having said that I too wonder how it will really work in practice but there are so many videos and stories out there to suggest that it does work. I'm 6 days over due so hopefully might be able to tell you soon! I'm defo glad I got the CD and book. :)

I used the Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing book and cd in my last pregnancy and I just paid for one session with a Hypnobirthing practitioner that cost about £40.
I think it definitely helped me. It did not make my labour completely painless but I had no fear and learned to just relax and let my body do what it is meant to do. My labour was really quick and complication free. I felt really relaxed and the midwives commented how well I was contracting. I believe my positive birthing experience was down to what I was taught by Hypnobirthing and I've started reading my book again in preparation for the birth of baby number 2 due in 5 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->