hypnosis during labour/birth

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
:wave: well I thought it might be a good idea to have somewhere for those of us planning to use hypnotherapy during labour/birth to meet and chat about it. Be it Hypnobirthing, Natal hypnotherapy or another method you are using.

I know this has been mentioned in the homebirthers & hopefuls group quite a few times, but having decided against a home birth for myself, I would still very much like to use the technique during my hospital birth. I plan on using Natal hypnotherapy CDs. Will be buying my "pregnancy relaxation" CD this week and start listening to it as soon as I get it.

ETA - Obviously those who have used it are more than welcome to come and share your thoughts and experiences :D

Hey, try these couple of links for relaxation techniques, I just found them today!

I've started using these the last couple of days, but I'm pretty late on and wondering if they'll actually work any now!!

https://www.birthsense.co.uk/Shop-C11/Hypnotherapy-CDs-MP3s-P22
https://www.archive.org/details/HypnoBirthing

Both are for free :D

Hi hun, I'm really interested in this. I think natal hypnotherapy sounds the best for me so far but I must admit I've done quite limited research. what kind of birth was your last one? Has it influeneced you at all for this time round? For me, I kind of felt that things got out of my control a bit. Not that it has mattered long term but I'm curious to see if I can impact things by my own approach.

Thanks for those links too janiepops, I'll have a look.

Hello,

We are plannning on having a hypnobirth in a birth centre. We've booked classes and got the books/cd's. They are available online. x

I'm the same as you Kiree. My labour with DS was very long and tiring (56hrs) I ended up having alot of pethadine and not enjoying the experience at all. I deeply regret not remembering alot about it due to the pain killers. I have just won a Natal Hypnotherapy CD (birth preparation) off ebay :happydance:

Hi there :flower:

As you can see I had my wee girl in Jan, I went to a hypnotherapist for hypnobirthing and used it during labour, and if/when we have another I'd definitely use it again! I'd probably do more practice this time though :blush: as we were getting a lot of building work done in the run up to the birth and it was pretty stressful (which the hypnobirthing def helped with, but I'm sure I would have practiced more without all the disruption iykwim?)

Anyway thought I'd keep an eye on this thread incase I can contribute anything or learn anything myself for the next time!

Thanks for starting it :flower:

^^ Did you use anything along side the hynotherapy? i.e tens machine, birthingpool etc

I'd planned to use the pool but 'special circumstances' intervened! I've tried really hard not to let myself be disappointed I didn't get the pool, but it does creep into my mind every so often...... I won't hijack the thread with the birth story but this is the second time I've wanted to go into details so I think I'll post a belated birth story in that section!

TENS wise - I was told (and I can't for the life of me remember by who, was it in the hypnobirthing book?) that TENS isn't recommended for hypnobirths? That sounds harsher than I meant - not that its not recommended but they say don't prepare for needing 'pain' relief as its setting yourself up to need it iykwim? God I wish I could remember where I saw it so I was clearer and stop waffling!

I'll have a go at the birth story and post a link, wld that be ok?

That'd be brilliant hun. I'm getting quite excited about learning it all and putting it into practice. I'm sure some of my family think I need help as I'm so looking forward to giving birth again :haha:

No I totally know what you mean!

I miss being pregnant, and I'd give birth every day! (well, maybe not as I did have some odd pains afterwards - across my back and shoulders, weird! it felt like flu!)

But yeah, its not put me off at all!

I'll let you know when I eventually get it on the birth section, may hav to check it for memory errors with OH :rofl:

I know what you mean bubbles.. although DSs birth was no picnic, I'm quite looking forward to it again too. 56 hours for you though! Pat on the back! I've just had a look on ebay for a cd but not bid on one yet.

Funny face- will def be checking out your birth story and probably hassling you with questions!

Mine came yesterday afternoon, I put it on this morning to have a quick listen and see how much time in total I would need to allow when I start it but then I started worrying I would hypnotise Edward so it went off quick :rofl: I've started thinking about the music I want to birth to already so I can get playing it to baby as much as possible. I'm really not convinced a CD of music I don't know will relax me all that much, I think it would be more beneficial to have music I love and know relaxes me. There will probably be alot more 'alternative' tracks in there. Oh I'm getting too excited

hello!

I am planning to use hypnobirthing. I really want a pool birth but the hospital birth centre only has 2 pools and it's first come first serve so know that i can't get my hopes up for that.

I plan to try to use hypnobirthing whatever the circumstances to help me with fear release.

I have the book & cd and am going to read them and am booked onto a course in North London on 5th & 6th on June for me and hubby.

My last birth was 11 years ago. I had high blood pressure and week early and went into hospital to be monitored. my waters broke that evening but contractions didn;t start and there was meconium in the water. i was put on a drip to be induced. I spent the night feeling ok and woke up ok....i heard a pop and instantl had extreme pain that i can;t really explain and ended up screaming for an epidural.

I pretty much don't remember much until about 12 people were heaving me around to get the epidural needle in!

I was constantly monitored and had to stay laid down for 24 hours. at one point after an internal my epidural stopped working down one side of my body.

I ended up pushing for 1.5 hrs and having a ventouse. i had a tear that never healed after having infected stitches and although being handed my son was beautiful that birth experience put me off for the next 10 years.

here I am now....not far off birth and I KNOW I don;t have to go thourgh that again. Even if I have to be monitored an dhave interventions I know I can use hypnobirthing to prevent panic and fear responses and work with my body the best I can.

Excuse my essay, I'm excited to talk to other hypnobirthers!

welcome Jubilee. What an awful experience with your first :hugs: I'm sure this one will be alot smoother. Can't wait to hear about your experiences with the classes. I'm also hoping to use the birth pool at my hospital, I used it last time but only laboured in there for a little while (I think it'll be quite nice to know both my babies were born in the same room aswell)

I'm currently looking into aromatherapy to accompany the hynotherapy, so far it's really interesting and looking very likely I will be giving it a go, I will have to check the hospital policies with vapourisers if thats a no no it'll be through massage oils. I'm going to get out of control with this in the next couple of weeks as I know I'll spend the last half of the pregnancy planning and preparing myself for the birth

I am going to spend a lot of time preparing this time as last time my only preparation was packing a back and bricking it!

in my mind it was just inevitable extreme pain but I'm older (creakier) & wiser now!

That was about all the prep I did (apart from perinium massage) I just wasn't scared at all for some reason and so didn't think I needed to prepare myself :dohh: I had it very clearly in my head about how I thought it would go, which was silly really. Now I have experienced it in a way I didn't want to I know I have to prepare myself and will hopefully enjoy the experience this time

i used natal hypnotherapy cd and accompanying book "effective birth prep" and had my first baby at home with no pain relief until i was 7cms and then only had gas and air. would defo recommend these techniques as i was very relaxed and calm throughout labour and really thought the contractions barely hurt and were very manageable. in fact took me a good few hours to realise that they were not braxton hicks and that baby was coming, lol! found these techniques really helped me to have a positive and enjoyable labour and birth :flower:

welcome jubilee (sorry am late!)

well girls ive tried bidding on about 5 cds on ebay and keep getting pipped to the post!! im rubbish at this ebay thing... TBH i think i might just get one off the nct shop instead, because the longer i keep getting outbid, the less time i have to use it!

welcome jubilee (sorry am late!)

well girls ive tried bidding on about 5 cds on ebay and keep getting pipped to the post!! im rubbish at this ebay thing... TBH i think i might just get one off the nct shop instead, because the longer i keep getting outbid, the less time i have to use it!

try using a sniper app like this
www.myibay.com/

Ooh thanks kelly I never knew that kinda thing existed god I'm right in the dark ages! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->