Hypo/hyperthyroid mums please help...

Khadijah-x

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Very worried this morning.

I have hypothyrodism which may have resulted in 2 losses (8 and half weeks) before I was diagnosed. Now my levels are settled and managed, but I was told I need to be under a consultant from early in the pregnancy to keep an eye on my levels.

I called my midwife team this morning and she is trying to chase up the consultant appt. She said people aren't usually referred there until 16 weeks.

Huh?? But my losses were at 8 and half weeks, so an appotiment after then makes no difference to me. I am so worried my levels have increased as they naturally do in pregnancy and that something will happen.

I have had no increase of medication and I am just going to be left until 16 weeks? I have had no blood test to see if my levels have raised since pregnancy. I am EXTREMELY worried. I called the EPAU and I was told by a nurse 'taking your thyroxine won't help stop a miscarriage'...

I came across this "Women already on thyroxine before pregnancy should have their dose increased by approximately 30% at the beginning of pregnancy and have TSH and T4 levels checked every eight weeks". So I understand this as needing to up my dose already....

Any mums here with hyper/hypothyrodism who can shed some light on this?

Well I now have a consultant appointment at the Antenatal services at the hospital on Tuesday when I will be 6 weeks and 3 days.*

So relieved!!

Not sure if this helps but I was told by my endo that the second I was pregnant to notify her. Well after 3 years ttc I am, so I called her and she I had a standing appt 2 weeks out. Im 4 weeks now so when I go to see her I will be 6 and she told me to pull labs next week at week 5. So she didnt seem to feel that was an urgency to get me in immediately, she just told me to keep my existing appt.

Not sure if that helps. Oh, and I am hypo.

Not sure if this helps but I was told by my endo that the second I was pregnant to notify her. Well after 3 years ttc I am, so I called her and she I had a standing appt 2 weeks out. Im 4 weeks now so when I go to see her I will be 6 and she told me to pull labs next week at week 5. So she didnt seem to feel that was an urgency to get me in immediately, she just told me to keep my existing appt.

Not sure if that helps. Oh, and I am hypo.

Thank you :) I think because it's a new doctor and they didn't have my notes they didn't understand even though I told them. They would maybe have still done an appt soon but dragging their heels. I called the epau and she said they do referrals from 8 weeks for antenatal etc. I miscarried twice at 8 weeks possibly because of my thyroid so the fact no one was taking me seriously really upset me.

Being seen near 8 weeks is useless for me. But all thanks to God the midwife called me back and has me an appt for Tuesday with the consultant when I will be 6 weeks 3 days.

Congrats on your pregnancy after such a long time ttc!

Thank you! I think you are fine since they got you in a six weeks, thats when I go too. Good luck! and Congrats!

I called my regular doctor to get them to check my tsh once I found out. Whoever manages your dose usually can order it, it doesn't have to be an OB doctor. But do let them know you're pregnant because they try and keep your level in a more narrow range. I just got my levels checked this week and only had to increase my dose slightly. Your level takes a while to be affected by the baby. Levothyroxine has a very long half life so the levels take weeks to change. They only check it every 4 weeks or so.

I called my regular doctor to get them to check my tsh once I found out. Whoever manages your dose usually can order it, it doesn't have to be an OB doctor. But do let them know you're pregnant because they try and keep your level in a more narrow range. I just got my levels checked this week and only had to increase my dose slightly. Your level takes a while to be affected by the baby. Levothyroxine has a very long half life so the levels take weeks to change. They only check it every 4 weeks or so.

Thank you for the info! Settled my mind. I told them I needed levels checked and they just didn't seem to be in any rush whereas I am! I thought it would happen automatically but I had to chase around to get a consultant appointment. I'll feel more relieved after Tuesday ♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->