"I am entering my fertile period" Shettles Method anyone?

mackjess

Grateful Mommy
Reaction score
This is what I get for checking out BnB while I'm at work! I noticed my ticker says I'm about to OV. When I had my BFP in August, I do think that my husbands guys did last about 5 days, he went out of town the week I OV!

Now, we just started TTC after my mc. We weren't trying before. I had JUST quit taking the pill after many years of taking it because I was so irregular so I didn't think I would be OV for another few months, if I was lucky.

I have read that if you want a boy, you 'try' closer or ON your OV date, and if you want a girl you try a few days before you OV. Has anyone tried this method? Do I try it this month?

I really want to try for a boy, but I'm 35 and had a mc. Part of me wants to go home and start BDing tonight because I want a baby overall, I don't care if its green and unisex. LOL I don't exactly have time on my hands, but I want to try for a boy at least a few times by waiting til OV day, but then I think OMG why risk any chance.

I did get prego VERY fast without trying, before my horomones were in sync, before I started taking prenatals, increased thyroid meds, and before I quit drinking. (I celebrated turning 35 pretty hard, I mean the DH LEFT town 4 days before I OV, we last BD 5 days before, I thought there was NO way I was prego but it turns out I was). I also started taking baby asprin, so I feel like since I am taking better care of myself that my next bean will stick. Praying so.

To try tonight, or to try in a few days? That is the question I keep waffling on. Has anyone else here tried the Shettles method? I want a boy really badly, having a boy AND a girl I'd be over the moon about. I'm scared since I am starting later what if I (praying to be lucky at all) am only lucky enough to have one baby?

Hey, sorry I don't know much about the Shettles method- is it an old wives tale or is there hard facts to back this up?

I can't give you much of an answer but didn't want to read and run.

Personally, after going through the heartbreak of a loss I will just be happy for the sperm to catch the egg again and see that second line. Also you got your BFP quickly last time, whose to say it will be as easy this time so why would you want to add more complexity?

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear and I don't want it to come across bitchy. Do what you feel is best for you at the end of the day.

Jane x

Here's a link w/more info-
https://www.bellybelly.com.au/conception/gender-selection-shettles-method

LOL, no I don't think you sounded bitchy. I'm waffling about it and have had those same exact thoughts myself. I just wonder if I should try it once, this month, and if I don't get prego go back to starting BDing a few days before I OV. I'm really new to TTC so maybe its worth a shot once. We technically were trying not to in August, but my DH has sperms that swim better than Michael Phelps and can hang around 4-5 days!

Of course, the DH seemed a bit randy last night so I may not have an option tonight. No way I'd turn him down over something silly like Shettles method when I'm so close to OV. :dohh:

I agree with Jane to be honest, maybe aiming for a certain sex may cause more stress?
It is an old wives tale, some people swear by it some people don't.. I think there's posts about it in the Gender Disappointment section of this forum if you want to learn more or speak to women also trying it.
IMO I wouldn't bother with the stress, as long as your rainbow baby is healthy surely it doesn't matter

I have the same thoughts. But we were actually trying not to in Aug when I got my BFP (which ended in mc=(.

The man's swimmers live for 4-5 days apparently (which he practically went around high fiving everybody after the GP talked to me about what day I OV that month and said I was probably right). So this will be the first time we actually TTC. I want a healthy baby, and am doing pretty good not stressing about it since the fertility part happened easily before. I need to correct some things (and have started to already) so the next one sticks. I *might* try hold off a few days just this month, and if it doesn't work go full steam next month. Of course, if the DH is in the mood tonight I'm not gonna turn him down if I'm this close to OV so it may not matter.

Personally I don't think it works. When I got PG with my son DH and I could only BD 3 days before I O'd because we went out of town. So I actually thought that I was out that month, so I was very surprised when I got my BFP. Just my two cents.

Personally I don't think it works. When I got PG with my son DH and I could only BD 3 days before I O'd because we went out of town. So I actually thought that I was out that month, so I was very surprised when I got my BFP. Just my two cents.

Congrats on the BFP and boy.

There is some medical science behind the theory, but I think women's bodies are still too much of a mystery for the doctors to figure us out!! I've looked up shettles on some other threads and it seems about 50/50, probably because there are too many other things to factor into it besides just timing, such as my environment,etc. I have a feeling my areas are more acidic because of some blood sugar and immune issues I have had. I remember my HP doc said that means my blood is actually more PH towards acid, and I've read that girl sperms do better in the Acid than the boys do.

Hope I get BFP either way, and the DH will just have to figure out how to be outnumbered! Just mostly curious if anyone else had success with Shettles.

Pretty sure it's all hokum. All of the methods to try and get a boy or a girl. Your husband's sperm will determine whether it's a boy or a girl and that, sadly, is pretty random. IMO though, boys or girls do run in families. There are at least twice as many male children in my husband's family than female. And both times I've been pregnant they were boys. *shrug*

Yea, all they know is that in a perfect, stable, control environment where they did the theirs tests is that girl sperms lived longer, swam slower than boy sperms. Introduce an actual female body to that, and holy crap there's a slew of circumstances to change how that can turn out. Nevermind the guys sperm count and boy/girl ratio he might have.

And I started BDing last night just bc I was "close" to my fertile window. LOL, I think I'd be too impatient to ever try the Shettles method.

We are going to try for the Shettles method in Feb/March 2013. My baby girl will be a yr old then and we would really like one of each, boy and girl. But honestly I don't really care, I cant think of anything more special than having 2 healthy siblings that love and look out for one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->