I apologise, or I am sorry?

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
Help settle a little argument between hubby and I.

'I apologise' or 'I am sorry'

Which one?

Personally, the word apologise to me, is not saying sorry, but talking about the act of doing it. Like, I will apologise, and then actually saying "I am sorry" which is more personal.

Hubby thinks saying 'I apologise' is saying sorry.

Thoughts?

And...just found this gem
https://jamesboileau.com/coaching/2010/01/im-sorry-vs-i-apologize/

Ultimately I think they both mean the same thing but personally if someone said 'I apologise' I'd take it more as they're not owning the act... Saying I'm sorry is more heartfelt! I apologise seems more like they're having to say it but don't mean it iykwim?!

I would say that it should always be taken in the context of the situation. If someone is trying to make a heartfelt apology and uses the words that you might not think are as meaningful, but which they felt did express that meaningful sentiment to them…..
Well, I would say that would be kind of potaytoes/potahtoes. No matter how annoyed I was, I think I would try to just let it go and just accept that they were trying to express real contrition.
If they were deliberately choosing that word to lessen the apology, then I would take issue, because the underlying sentiment is not sincere.
So, yeah, for me, it would be situational, but I would try to give the benfit of the doubt. Many people do use the words interchangeably.

I suppose to some people the words are interchangable but to me saying "I am sorry" really means sorry as opposed to "I apologise"

I use 'I apologise' in a formal capacity ie at work if I have to cancel something I may write 'I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause' but if I was speaking to someone I knew I'd always say 'I'm sorry' as it seems more sincere and personal

I hate "I apologise"! It just sounds so insincere. I worked in customer service and they told us to always say it, as "I'm sorry" is apparently too informal and sounds less genuine. I disagree completely, customers would always get their backs up as soon as we started to say "apologise".

Me and my husband have this argument too! He says I apologise, and I don't think that's adequate, I think it should be 'I'm sorry', I'm his wife, not his co worker!

I think you can say you apologise without actually FEELING sorry iykwim.... apologising is an act, being sorry is an emotion

To me, they both mean exactly the same thing. One sounds more formal than the other. I would take both as being sincere.

I use 'I apologize' in a formal capacity ie at work if I have to cancel something I may write 'I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause' but if I was speaking to someone I knew I'd always say 'I'm sorry' as it seems more sincere and personal

^ WSS.

I would use apologize at work, anything formal.

I also use apologize when I want to distance myself from the statement, if I really don't feel that way or something, if that makes sense.

I would say 'I'm sorry' if I was speaking to someone I know because it's more personal. I don't really like 'I apologise' but a lot of people use it, in the right context they mean the same thing. The latter just irritates me :haha:

According to my OH, I never apologise :haha:.

I agree though apologise is more formal and impersonal. I'm sorry conveys genuine feeling and emotion. :flower:

Well, I think most people feel the way i do here. :) I thought of this thread today when the lady at the childcare said it a flat unfeeling tone to another mom "I apologise that he has messed his underwear" and there it was! The obligatory 'apology'. But, not a true sorry.

I would 'apologise' if I wasn't really sorry.

Eg. I apologise that you felt that way.

Opposed to.

I am sorry that I made you feel like that.

I think there is a difference between saying you apologise and being sorry

I feel the same as most here. I feel saying sorry has more meaning to it and is more personal where as i apoligise just feels like you have to say it

Unless you are a child.

"I'm sorry" why? "Because mum said I have to be". :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"